Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,542,494 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my fiancee and I are getting married in a month (woohoo!) and we're going on our honeymoon in Homer. I've been doing some research on things to do up there and aside from basic tourist-y type stuff around the town (museums, art exhibits, shops, etc.) I'm having trouble finding other things to do that won't cost an arm and a leg.

We'll be staying at Hoedel's from July 7 - 14 which is right off East End Rd and about 2 1/2 miles from downtown Homer and I'd really like to check out Kachemak Bay State Park & Wilderness and Kenai Fjords National Park if possible, and at least one if both aren't.

I also really want to go kayaking and fishing, but I'm not sure if all of these things will be possible on our relatively modest budget. Local hikes sound great too and those are of course free, so other stuff like that would be great for us too.

Any suggestions that are relatively affordable are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 01:41 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,875 times
The Kenai Fjords are accessed via Seward, which is about a 3 or 4 hour drive from Homer.
You might check on Trip Advisor for Alaska: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States
Homer Tourism: Best of Homer, AK - TripAdvisor

Old 06-06-2015, 03:04 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,197,484 times
If it is your honeymoon i don't think you will have much energy left to do a lot of touristy stuff. And if you do you are doing something wrong.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,973,663 times
OP, don't take this the wrong way, but why did you pick Homer if you don't know much about it?

Old 06-06-2015, 02:04 PM

202 posts, read 357,398 times
Are you renting transportation?
It is a long walk to the expresso shop from where you will be staying.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM

863 posts, read 2,085,873 times
Homer has really good restaurants for a small town in Alaska. Just get on yelp for recs. Aside from that, anything worth doing is going to cost some money, but not over the top I don't think. You can get on a halibut fishing charter (sending a bunch of halibut home might help justify the price). Definitely get on the water taxi across Kachemak Bay so you can explore the trails of the state park. Also across the bay, visit the artist's colony of Halibut Cove, or the small town of Seldovia. Probably the most interesting hiking to do without getting on a boat are the beach access points along the highway before town.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:36 PM

6,380 posts, read 14,619,669 times
Homer isn't what I would concider a honeymoon destination, but there is nice things to do there. You can go across the bay to Seldovia, which is a nice place to walk around. There is Bear viewing flights that will take you over to Katmai National Park. Charter fishing or just sight seeing and whale watching boat trips. They have Kayak tours, trips to Halibut Cove. Just walking the small boat docks and chatting with folks there is a nice way to mee people. The Spit has a lot of stores to browse around as does the main part of town.

An early trip over to Seward you can see the Sea Life Center, or as was mentioned go out on one of the dozens of tours out in the bay.

Well congratulations for n the Wedding, enjoy your trip!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,330,814 times
Alice's champagne palace.... Go hiking across the bay in the state park to the glacier (makos water taxi). Rent a yurt or cabin across the bay for a night. Go halibut fishing. Alice's champagne palace again and hangout on the spit for a day. Then you've pretty much conquered homer as a tourist.

I'd also book a suite at lands end resort instead if it was my honeymoon. Or the pioneer inn is right in town and has kitchens with everything you need in them.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:44 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,343,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
If it is your honeymoon i don't think you will have much energy left to do a lot of touristy stuff. And if you do you are doing something wrong.
You have a point, Music_Man

Unless the couple is so old that there is no energy left but to go on a tour around town? Well, maybe the old couple eloped to Mejico already, and are in a hotel where the blue pill is part of room service.

My apologies to the OP. Just kidding, trying to get a response from you

Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,542,494 times
Thank you to those who seriously responded; I appreciate it. We're very much looking forward to a relaxing honeymoon spent in a beautiful place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska