Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2006, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,662 times

Advertisements

im looking for first hand info on the area, ive researched what i could on the internet and learned alot. but would love some first hand knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,662 times
Default Haven't been to Homer in years, but just met someone who moved away

and I asked, "What's up with that? No one ever moves out of Homer."

He said, "We had property there that was covered in big spruce, and the spruce trees all were beetle-killed, so we didn't have privacy any more. Also, there was a vote to build a new dock for a chipping mill that went in there to dispose of all the dead spruce."

So I asked, "They're turning it into a mill town?????" He said yes, and that's why they left.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Used to be one of the prettiest places I've ever seen, and I hope it's still that way.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
The chip dock is gone. It's no longer a mill town. Fox Creek area is awesome. Wish I had some property up there myself.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:21 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,560 times
Default used to fly over there

I used to fly over there pretty regularly, it was one way we could sneak into Homer from Anchorage when the cloud deck wouldn't let us go straight over the Caribou hills. I assume you're talking about the Fox River Valley, which leads into Kachemak bay...it's a beautiful area. But...

I've never been there by ground, and the access looks pretty difficult. There's a private airstrip a couple miles upriver from the habitat area, but as far as I know theres no roads past the Russian Old Believers village (Kachemak? Silo?) and even some of the properties around there are only accessible over the mud flats at low tide. There might be a hiking trail thats usable by ATVs or snowmachine in the winter, but not a regular width FWD vehicle.

It's been a couple of years since I've been there and I never really stopped to look around, so maybe things have changed...who knows?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,328,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The chip dock is gone. It's no longer a mill town. Fox Creek area is awesome. Wish I had some property up there myself.
Last time I heard anything about the area was 8 or 9 years ago, and that was that Happy Valley was a giant mud pit from the log trucks. There was someone near there who used to post on the old ACA ng, but I haven't seen anything from her on this forum. She lived on a ranch near some of the Old Believers.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
My Mom had a bed and breakfast in Ninilchik for 6 or 7 years. She housed loggers from fall through spring. They rid the area of beetle kill which would have roasted the town had it ever caught fire. She also worked the chip dock testing wood chip samples for water content. Seems the beetle kill spruce was highly sought after because it needed little or no bleaching when it was processed into paper. The entire ordeal created many jobs not to mention got rid of forest fire fuel. I don't think I ever did come across any locals that complained about the logging or the trucks. The logging outfits have now been replaced by an occasional drilling rig. I'm sure there were times the log trucks made a mess of the road...but for the most part they shut down come spring so as not to sink their heavy equipment in bogs or destroy the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska