Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM

222 posts, read 1,046,034 times

Advertisements

We are starting our research a little early, but we plan on retiring in AK in about 5-6 years. I've been to Anchorage (Elmendorf AFB) twice in the winter, so I know what the place is like buried under snow. My third trip up there was a vacation at my own expense with my wife in the summer and that sold her on wanting to relocate up there. I told her that I need to take her up there in the winter too.

Although we have yet to make it to Homer, we do like what we have been reading about the place and the the pictures have sold us on the place. We do plan on making Homer our first place to visit on our next trip to AK.

We will be retired and in our mid to late 50's by then, still young enough and active enough to travel, get around and party. We both come from big cities, I'm from New Orleans and she is from Chicago. We have lived in Phoenix and Las Vegas since we have been together. This is going to be a big change for us, but we are prepared for it and looking forward to it.

Any information on Homer would be appreciated. We already know that AK is expensive, cold in the winter, very nice in the summer and the long and short days of those seasons. I know my Harley will spend about 6 months a year in the garage I'm a tough nut when it comes to riding, if the roads are clear I'll ride when the temps are in the teens, just haven't done it below zero yet.

Housing seems to more reasonable in Homer when compared to the housing market here in Vegas. We will be looking for real estate in the $500K-$900K range, could go a million if the deal is good. We have a boat and love to fish, does AK sound like a place for us? Still debating on brining the boat with us or sell it here and buy another one up there. The one we got here a 27 footer has a 12,000 btu central marine A/C installed, great for the desert heat we live in but I don't think we'll need a boat with air conditioning in AK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 09:26 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
Try www.homeralaska.org for some info!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the link.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 PM

No prob...hope it helps! Homer is great.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:28 AM

What's the heating cost for a home up there in the winter?

Can it be as as high as air conditioning a home in Las Vegas in the summer?

My summer electric bill this year went over $600 a month.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 AM

600? That's awfull high! We use wood, coal, natural gas, electric or propane around here. Some use more than one type to heat with. But I have never heard of a residence using anywhere near 600 dollars a month. Sure it gets higher in the winter than summer.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Electric rates around here just keep climbing, when we first moved into this house 11 years ago our highest monthly electric bill was around $350 during the peak summer season. Now it's just over $600 a month during the same period July/August and there is another rate hike coming soon.

That's why I don't think the cost of living in Alaska is going to shock us after what we have seen here in Vegas.

If you really want to go into shock, you ought to hear what our vehicle insurance cost us in the city that is #2 in the nation for auto theft, soon to be #1 if things don't change quickly.

The housing market has sky-rocketed recently, that's bad news for new home buyers in Vegas. But that's good news for us that have owned homes for more than five years around here. We'll have plenty of equity to take with us to AK to spend on a new home.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 AM

I've been to Vegas a couple times but had no idea electric was that high. I'd think more people would convert to wind or solar power. Alot of them here do that for remote locations. You run a battery bank and power inverter for 110 volt. Seems to work well.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 45,149 times
Default Looking toward Anchorage

My husband and I are looking into relocating to Anchorage. I would prefer a little smaller but I guess starting out big and down sizing makes more sense then up sizing.
Not worried about cold winters. Just looking for anyone who live's there to throw out some info from their perspective. Rents, foods, is their public transportation during the winter, I like snow just don't like driving in it sometimes.
Thanks to anyone who answers..

Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
Vegas Cajun
I have been halibut fishing out of Homer and drift boat fishing down the Kasilof (spl) river.
I can tell you a normal hulled boat will get ripped to shreds, most everyone I talked to said double hulled is the only way to fly.
I can believe them as the wakes come in a weird pattern and the ride gets very rough.
We were amazed at how expensive seafood was at the resteraunts or purchased from the local stores. As high or higher than we can get from the fish markets in vegas.
Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska