Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times

Advertisements

Get two more jobs, you'll be fine. Work one job at McDonald's and the other at Burger King and you can make more money by saying that you'll give secrets on each job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,737 times
My husband is flying from Seattle we got the ticket 5months ago and it was only like $130. I suggest going ahead and getting tickets early will save you some cash. Where are you coming from?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You could take Amtrak to Bellingham, WA telling them you are disabled to get a 10% discount (they won't check to see if you are).
That is disturbingly unethical.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
My husband is flying from Seattle we got the ticket 5months ago and it was only like $130. I suggest going ahead and getting tickets early will save you some cash. Where are you coming from?
Man, that's a score. One way, I assume?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

40 posts, read 83,360 times
Quote:
I am currently in buffalo,NY. It takes around 10 hours to reach Alaska by air.
$130 is really cheap,even for seattle.
Maybe the ticket is more expensive during peak season?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Yes one way but a round trip at that time (august) was only $285.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM

It was like $285 round trip. My husband is from the Cattaragus res. down close to you. Maybe you could ride share with someone over to Seattle or I don't know about this but go into Canada and then fly to Alaska.

10hrs seems like a long flight I think I would do some more checking. What about AAA,do you belong to it?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,780 times
Quote:
Yes one way but a round trip at that time (august) was only $285.
Well you found the mother of all ticket sales. My son flew this november roundtrip to reno, we used Ak air miles and still paid 540 for a decent flight schedule. Normal ticket was around 850.

Fro flighst to fairbanks from anchorage. Look up frontier flying, ERA aviation, Arctic Circle air. These are reginal and slower craft, less cheaper and less TSA hassels.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
Thank you guys! I have checked out Amtrak.Travelling by train won't help me reduce the cost actually. But If I can find a cheap way to get to fairbanks from anchorage,the cost will be lowered.
Hmmm ... let me go off on a slight tangent because this interests me. I did a cross-country trip on Amtrak last year, because I was having trouble bringing the guns etc. The price seemed very reasonable, a bit less than $200 if I remember correctly.

The trip was sheer hell after the first couple of days, and the scenery was ugly almost everywhere east of Colorado. And I ended up paying more for coffee, meals, and wine than I would have paid to go quickly by plane at a higher initial cost .... I'd brought a fair amount of food but it didn't last as long as I expected.

However if one were in dire financial straits one could get to Seattle or Bellingham cheaply from the East Coast on Amtrak, and in more comfort than Greyhound, by planning carefully. For food you could bring an enormous sack of trail mix, dry salami, cheeses, chips .... and fresh fruits and veggies, which you will miss. And about a gallon thermos of coffee. And a quart of vodka (smells less than other liquors) for each day, about a 4 day trip - you'll need it to alleviate the massive boredom. And some of those body wipe things because you won't be able to take a shower.

I do wonder if taking the ferry from Bellingham is cheaper than a plane from Seattle.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I do wonder if taking the ferry from Bellingham is cheaper than a plane from Seattle.
It can be. If you aren't bringing a car, ferry ticket prices are usually better than airline ticket prices, depending on where you are going. But you also have to figure in food expenses and if you want a cabin, that's extra too. I believe that you would probably like the ferry about as much as you liked the train though- there isn't a lot of stuff to do. Ferries and trains, and, for that matter, road trips, aren't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska