Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 24,814 times

Advertisements

Hi all.......I am the girl taking the job in Wasilla. Will be arriving in about 2wks. I have read most the posts about the weather and driving. What I really want to know about is the daylight hours. I am confused. What time does the sun rise and set....or does it? How much daylight is there? All I can seem to find on the internet is 5hrs and 28min of daylight. Oh ya, I will be driving from Anchorage to Wasilla in a company car. How are the roads...at this time and should I ask for something specific? Remember I am from San Diego, CA. I read a post about eyelashes freezing and nose hairs.......and it hurts to breathe........if this is true....I am sure I can adapt just like you! Thank you for any comments or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,045,021 times
Right now it's almost 50 degrees in Wasilla and all the snow has melted.

But there will be fresh snow when you get here. Make sure to use a front wheel or 4 wheel drive car. Be very careful about corners, and give yourself plenty of room in front of you between your car and the next. Forget the rule about so many car lengths per MPH. When it's icy you need 5-10 times as much room. Most wrecks are caused by people driving too fast, following too close, or someone with no experience on ice. You will be in the last category, just don't add the other two.

It usually doesn't get that cold in Wasilla before January. Sure doesn't look like it this year but you never know.

OH...the daylight, the sun does rise and set. You are coming in the darkest time of the year so it will rise around 10:30 and set around 4 or so. But there is a long twilight on both sides of that.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 PM

115 posts, read 616,486 times
you will loose about 5 minutes of daylight every day until ?

after next week you will not see many days when the temperture gets above freezing. You should not drive without studded tires even if you rent a 4WD. Considering that in San Diego they have a severe weather alert when the temperture drops below 68 deg you are going to have a experience indeed.
The current tempertures I gave are based on Yahoo forcast. Marty Van Diest is probably more accurate.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:06 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,050,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earls View Post
you will loose about 5 minutes of daylight every day until ?
The equinox, ....when the earth tips, Alaska tips with it.

Can't say about California......

Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,045,021 times
We lose daylight until the winter solstice...the shortest day of the year. Then we gain daylight until the summer solstice. The equinox is half way between summer and winter solstice when all of us around the world have the same amount of daylight.

I notice today that the sun rose at 9:30 and set just before 4pm...

Old 11-24-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
the winter solstice... equinox is half way between summer and winter
Thanks, marty, .....right you are.

(..I knew that, .....must be the lack of sunlight....)

The good thing? Only 27 days til the days get longer again,

December 21, 10:08 pm,

...some of us heathens have a bonfire and celebrate.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 AM

10 posts, read 38,182 times
I am a first time user and would like some help, I was sent an e-mail about a Ca man that was picked up for aussalted 2 very young girls there. The story was hard for me to read as the man in the story is my father in law and the childrens mother my sister in law. The police wont tell me any thing other than its an ongoing investigation. The frontiersman story had a comments section at the bottom where people could type messages about it and I can't believe the things that they were saying about her{the mother}The person who wrote the artical went in to some detail about what he did, but failed to tell people that it is the girls' grandfather was the perp.So many people were blaming her for letting the girls go with him, but how many people really think twice about letting there child go with there parents?? She didn't do it knowing what would happen, these people don't glow in the dark.Any one from there please let me know of anything about this that you can.I can't reach her or get any info from police. thank you so much

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 AM

If you read the article, you'd know they left the details of the perverts relationship unclear to try to provide some privacy to the victims.

Nice father in law you got there.....

Local News : California man charged with assault on girls 5, 7 - Frontiersman (http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/01/01/local_news/doc47799d2df2357500795318.txt - broken link)

Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,906 times
I am thinking of moving to Alaska with my husband and kids. How expensive is rent out there and what is the job market like.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,906 times
I am thinking of moving to Wasilla Alaska .how much is rent up there and what is job market like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: