Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Yeah, rrpearso, I know all that. It's an expensive hobby. But if he wants to fly commercially, he should get his wings in Alaska. Otherwise, he could end up as just another news item where yet another out-of-state pilot goes down with a planeload of unfortunate passengers. Don't try to tell me this isn't a common occurrence and that it isn't pilot error most of the time. But I think you and I are typing about two different things; it was my impression he wants to eventually fly commercially. If that's not the case, your way might be better, idk, at least cheaper. The cheap way isn't always the best, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-27-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
I must have missed the part where the OP wanted to be a commercial pilot. In that case he can just do the UAA program. Its expensive but they can facilitate all the commercial aspects. But on the flip side a commercial cert is basically just a PPL and 250 hrs total time logged.

At the end of the day all an employer cares about is total time and time in type. If he can get total time and time in type cheaper some where else then that's what he should do. If he needs SOME specific Alaska training he can get that too.

He does not need to log every single hour in the most expensive way possible which is what getting all his time in Alaska would amount too (unless he is doing it himself just flying around). You need to get enough Alaska time to be safe not to pay for the Alaska aviation industrys kids education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, rrpearso, I know all that. It's an expensive hobby. But if he wants to fly commercially, he should get his wings in Alaska. Otherwise, he could end up as just another news item where yet another out-of-state pilot goes down with a planeload of unfortunate passengers. Don't try to tell me this isn't a common occurrence and that it isn't pilot error most of the time. But I think you and I are typing about two different things; it was my impression he wants to eventually fly commercially. If that's not the case, your way might be better, idk, at least cheaper. The cheap way isn't always the best, though.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM

131 posts, read 156,558 times
Hey everyone - I went UP - and came back DOWN OK. It was awesome. The pilot did it for free, like I said before, he's a friend of the guy who I'm "working" for (exchanging work for a cot). He says he'll take me up again, and he even let me fly a bit. I'm going to go over and help him do some mechanicing (sp?) on an old car he has in exchange. I can crawl under things better than he can. He says he'll hand me the tools. LOL

I don't know if I want to go commercial, heck, I have to learn how to fly first. I doubt very much if I'll ever be able to afford my own plane, but thanks to everyone with all the good flying advice. Right now, I'm taking it one day at a time. And I think I have a part-time job at a fast-food joint cooking.

I love it here and guess what - by spring, I'll no longer be a cheechako, right? I'll be a sourdough, right? Thanks again for all the info and encouragement.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Alaska is pretty much the rape capital of the US so I wouldn't get too snarky about anywhere else in that regard.

The welding and the CDL, plus being a vet, should put you in a good position for a good variety of jobs in the interior. Reliable welders are always needed and there are a lot of commercial driving jobs regularly hiring.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Look, there are a lot of people buying surplus land from the state and selling it to unsuspecting -48ers. The land is real, and it's located in areas without property tax. Don't know what you're planning on doing for food/power/whatever, but you've indicated that you need to work for a living. Unless you're pretty adept at teleporting, remote land isn't an option in the parts of Alaska where you're likely to find work.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Why would you shoot out a raven's eye? Is that what you're planning to eat? Carrion birds don't taste so good.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Trust me, you need to work. Remote interior land isn't survivable -- most of it's swampland that you won't even be able to build on.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:46 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Ahh ...why do I feel like I'm missing something?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:54 AM

131 posts, read 156,558 times
the thread got hijacked. I think the mod must have deleted most of the posts, but not all, so it feels a little disjointed.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Ahh ...why do I feel like I'm missing something?
Because you are. A troll was threatening to shoot people and whatever. Bunch of stuff got whacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska