Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:30 AM

131 posts, read 156,524 times

Advertisements

That got pretty intense. It went south really fast. Interestingly, I haven't met anyone like that here, even though before I came I heard that Alaska is a place for people who can't play well with others, you know, misfits come here to hide out and be left alone. Don't know if that's true or not, so far haven't met any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
There was a guy who used to hide behind the post office drinking blackberry brandy out of a brown paper bag who was sort of anti social.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
There are those segments but mostly its people that are just fiercly independant. We dont like getting lot of other people involved in our affairs. Thats why alot of people up here hate govt because govt is always trying to sneakily force people to associate with others in a finanical sense. Or always tring to make stifling firearms laws.

Dont let the rape stuff fool you, if you truncate all the "rapes" that are a result of alcohal and disfunctional relationships then our crime rate would be really low. Its not like there are a bunch of guys in ski masks creeping around random womens homes. In fact I cant remember a single rape case of a non drunk woman who was just going about her normal day. But yea, if your going to seedy bars and parties with your marginally employed dead beat boyfriend then your probably going to get raped eventually. I hate to be crass about it but I just see so much poor decision making around me its hard to feel sad (I still do feel sad but its harder). No one is going to hit you over the head in fred meyers and drag you out and rape you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
That got pretty intense. It went south really fast. Interestingly, I haven't met anyone like that here, even though before I came I heard that Alaska is a place for people who can't play well with others, you know, misfits come here to hide out and be left alone. Don't know if that's true or not, so far haven't met any.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:39 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Because you are. A troll was threatening to shoot people and whatever. Bunch of stuff got whacked.
Okay, wow.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:01 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Alaska has a high rate of stranger rape compared to the rest of the country. That is indisputable if you look at the actual crime stats, so Alaska's sexual violence problem is not just a relationship violence problem. That said, I'm not sure why people always try to write it off as that like that's BETTER. Oh, yes, there are a lot of rapes here, but it's only a risk for you if you...are in a relationship or have had a relationship with a man? WELL, THAT'S REASSURING. WHAT A TINY PERCENTAGE OF THE POPULATION THAT APPLIES TO.

Of course, it also completely ignores the comparatively high rates of sexual violence against children and youth. That relationship mentioned above isn't always romantic, it's often familial.

It is linked to the alcohol problems here? Sure. But let's step away from the victim blaming for a second and point out that it's also linked to the alcohol problems OF THE RAPISTS, so no amount of teetotaling is a magic shield against sexual assault.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
As far as the stranger rape being significant, I was unaware of that. Do they truncate the women walking back from her one night stand after she just spent the night at koots getting blitzed out of her mind and now she is walking home. Think thats dramaitc, I see it any given weekend I have to drive by that area at the wrong time.

I also see these women with dead beat guys for what ever reason, not saying rape is ok but they choose to put themselves in that situtation.

When I am refering to stranger rape I am refering to the woman who is walking home from church after brunch with her boyfriend who has a job and no arrest record. She then gets home and some guy in a ski mask attacks and rapes her. THAT kind of rape never happens.

If we dont omit the poor decision making that leads up to all these stats then the stats themselves become meaningless. People end up being scared who have no reason to be because they dont plan to get sloshed at koots and walk home at 2am because their dead beat boy friend left them there.

From a legal stand ponit the rapist is always wrong but when looking at stats reporting poor decision rapes is intellecually dishonest because you have professional people that are potentially looking to move here for a good job and they think geez the rapes are so high up here im going to have my pants ripped off going to fred meyers to get bread, but thats not reality. It gives anchorage a bad rap and paints a false picture.

Yes its an issue, but its not an issue for someone taking a middle class job who is a responsible adult and who will be participating in responsible adult activities around anchorage. Is it possilbe you could get raped out on a ski trail, I suppose but I have not heard of it yet. These false stats create an irrational fear that dont apply to anyone but women making poor life choices.

Dont scare the crap out of the women comming up to be an RN and likes to watch movies with her husband who is an engineer who dont drink. That any day now a creeper in a ski mask is going to break in. Its rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Alaska has a high rate of stranger rape compared to the rest of the country. That is indisputable if you look at the actual crime stats, so Alaska's sexual violence problem is not just a relationship violence problem. That said, I'm not sure why people always try to write it off as that like that's BETTER. Oh, yes, there are a lot of rapes here, but it's only a risk for you if you...are in a relationship or have had a relationship with a man? WELL, THAT'S REASSURING. WHAT A TINY PERCENTAGE OF THE POPULATION THAT APPLIES TO.

Of course, it also completely ignores the comparatively high rates of sexual violence against children and youth. That relationship mentioned above isn't always romantic, it's often familial.

It is linked to the alcohol problems here? Sure. But let's step away from the victim blaming for a second and point out that it's also linked to the alcohol problems OF THE RAPISTS, so no amount of teetotaling is a magic shield against sexual assault.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I should know better. Rpearsso, get second grader to help you compose your posts, please. I don't think there's any help for your moral compass, but you could at least learn to navigate the English language a bit.

ETA are you having any luck with the Russian online dating scene these days?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-01-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 07:51 PM

131 posts, read 156,524 times
Well, it's time to say goodbye to Alaska and my dream of being a bush pilot, at least for now. I'm going to start the long journey back in a few days, and I hope to God my truck makes it. My dad offered to buy me a plane ticket, but I don't want to leave all my stuff up here, even though it's not worth much.

I'm fairly bummed and thanks everyone for your help, except for the guy who hijacked the thread. It's all good - my dad just bought some land and wants me to help him build a house. This is his dream, so I guess I'll work on his and come back and work on mine when we're done. He'll pay me, so when I come back I'll have a little better grubstake. So, I'm off to Montana. Wish me well. I plan to take some lessons down there.

And I'll add this - I learned a lot about myself - I learned you can make things happen if you take action, and I also learned that I'm kind of relieved to be going back, as I know it's more of a safe path for me, having family around and all. Maybe that's worth more than I've realized. Maybe I'm not as brave as I think and maybe that's OK. Maybe living in a hanger isn't the greatest place to winter in the MatSu. I knew my parents were looking for land, but I really didn't think it would happen this fast, and I didn't think I would cave so easily to my dad's wanting me to help him. They want to get a lot done before it really freezes up, but I also know my mom's been worried about me a lot. I'm disappointed but also kind of excited. I dunno, it's kind of bittersweet, but it's OK. You have to take the path, but you don't always know where it ends up.

Last edited by Rockskipper; 11-02-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Not sure why my last post was deleted????

Old 11-03-2015, 12:29 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post
Well, it's time to say goodbye to Alaska and my dream of being a bush pilot, at least for now. I'm going to start the long journey back in a few days, and I hope to God my truck makes it. My dad offered to buy me a plane ticket, but I don't want to leave all my stuff up here, even though it's not worth much.

I'm fairly bummed and thanks everyone for your help, except for the guy who hijacked the thread. It's all good - my dad just bought some land and wants me to help him build a house. This is his dream, so I guess I'll work on his and come back and work on mine when we're done. He'll pay me, so when I come back I'll have a little better grubstake. So, I'm off to Montana. Wish me well. I plan to take some lessons down there.

And I'll add this - I learned a lot about myself - I learned you can make things happen if you take action, and I also learned that I'm kind of relieved to be going back, as I know it's more of a safe path for me, having family around and all. Maybe that's worth more than I've realized. Maybe I'm not as brave as I think and maybe that's OK. Maybe living in a hanger isn't the greatest place to winter in the MatSu. I knew my parents were looking for land, but I really didn't think it would happen this fast, and I didn't think I would cave so easily to my dad's wanting me to help him. They want to get a lot done before it really freezes up, but I also know my mom's been worried about me a lot. I'm disappointed but also kind of excited. I dunno, it's kind of bittersweet, but it's OK. You have to take the path, but you don't always know where it ends up.
Well I have to say that I am surprised to hear this; I thought you were here to stay. It sounds like you've got a good opportunity to help out your folks, possibly learn some things that will help you in the future and make some money all at the same time.

I'm not going to give you a lecture about thoroughly going over your truck and tires before you leave since it sounds like that's already on the menu. So let that serve as the lecture, lol

Hey drive carefully, you knucklehead . The roads will probably be crappy, dark and full of large wildlife. I have a feeling you'll be back up here some day in the not too distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska