Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times

Advertisements

Adore Maine. However- it is a retirement state, and though perfect for us, for younger people unless in medical care as a profession, not much to offer in the jobs area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
They really need to crack down on these out of state PFD recipients. I ran into 100's of "snowbirds" down in Arizona and they all would keep their Alaska plates and drivers license and only went back to alaska for the summer. There is no reason these people should continue to get the PFD. I believe you can file an exemption to stay out of state up to 6 months and still receive the PFD. I'm not talking about people who go for 1-3 months but at 6 months there's no reason for your PFD.

And for all the talk about how strict the PFD people are, I've also ran into a few seasonal workers who recieved the PFD. These people had no intention of starting a life here and somehow were able to weasel their way into a PFD.

I've been up here for the better part of 3 years and still haven't recieved one because I would leave during the winter. I've been a permenant resident since December of last year so I'll hopefully get one next October for the first time or what's left of it. My neighbor has 7 kids and just recieved $20,000. I get that the PFD is nice for those who truly live here and need the help, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I can't help but think that some less than desirable people would leave if the PFD is ended.

The State of Alaska made up the rules and you can be gone up to 180 days a year.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
We moved to Arizona after we retired. After one summer, we decided to go the snowbird route. So we are moving back in two weeks and closing on our new house.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:24 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
^I must of been low on my vitamin D levels, without coffee and cranky because I didn't get one this year when I wrote my rant on PFDs . I love Arizona, especially the northern part. Hope you enjoy the move back.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Wait until house and rent prices start taking a nose dive, right now anchorage is grossly over priced

Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's a little more complex than that. You have to have the intent to remain in Alaska at the time of application. Of course, that's pretty hard to prove, and I'm sure that a lot of people are less than honest about this. If you want to go back, go back. If you want to see more of the world (which would be my advice, but no one here can tell you what you should do), do it, but don't let the PFD be a factor.
What are you a State of Alaska worker? So tired of downers. OP didn't ask for the PFD eligibility guidelines, being he/she is from AK am sure already knows the rules

Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 AM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
They really need to crack down on these out of state PFD recipients. I ran into 100's of "snowbirds" down in Arizona and they all would keep their Alaska plates and drivers license and only went back to alaska for the summer. There is no reason these people should continue to get the PFD. I believe you can file an exemption to stay out of state up to 6 months and still receive the PFD. I'm not talking about people who go for 1-3 months but at 6 months there's no reason for your PFD.

And for all the talk about how strict the PFD people are, I've also ran into a few seasonal workers who recieved the PFD. These people had no intention of starting a life here and somehow were able to weasel their way into a PFD.

I've been up here for the better part of 3 years and still haven't recieved one because I would leave during the winter. I've been a permenant resident since December of last year so I'll hopefully get one next October for the first time or what's left of it. My neighbor has 7 kids and just recieved $20,000. I get that the PFD is nice for those who truly live here and need the help, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I can't help but think that some less than desirable people would leave if the PFD is ended.
I know many people who lost their PFD when they left "temporarily" and stayed past a certain timeframe. It's like they have little trackers on you and when caught, they are quite mean. One lady said she can never get it again(not sure how accurate that is). I seriously would not try to beat the timeframe to be out of the state, but I can see how some do like students, or sometimes people just are not sure if they are leaving for good considering there is many transients in the state. The PFD kinda ties you to the state and some just like that feeling. However going past that "safe" time is really playing with fire, but what can you do? Is like saying nobody cheats on taxes, when many do.

I have a friend who is from Alaska been there all his life and never received a PFD. Doesn't want it. I have never thought of it as cash mine but more like a little bonus for the added expenses of living there.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:48 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
What are you a State of Alaska worker? So tired of downers. OP didn't ask for the PFD eligibility guidelines, being he/she is from AK am sure already knows the rules
No, I'm not a "state of Alaska worker," if it's any of your business. Just tired of cheaters and misconceptions about the PFD. Before you start crying that I was accusing the OP of cheating, I wasn't. Just wasn't sure if the person realized that one of the provisions for receiving "the check" is an intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely, and purposely not establishing residency in another state while living (and working?) there is not a good strategy.

Thanks for the laugh about people from AK already knowing the rules. Lots of young people don't really "know the rules" because they've never had to deal with them. Now put your wagging finger back where it belongs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-26-2015 at 01:22 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 01:58 PM

34 posts, read 28,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
You get it Laina1980!;. I'm asking opinions on the relocation situation. I know the PFD requirements so people can stop talking about that that's not why I'm on here. People get stupid butt hurt over it for some reason when they really need Mind their own. I'm not a "crook" staying out of Alaska over the time frame and as far as I'm concerned I'm on an extended vacation exploring nothing wrong with that. Maybe some of these people on here should research the requirements before accusing me of wrong doing. As far as my situation I'm returning back to AK full time as for the east coast especially Mass and Rhode Island, are not a ideal place for an Alaskan to be. It's amazing how people can live here their whole lives but to each their own. I'll possibly try out some western states or I might just work hard in Alaska and stay up there and travel when I feel like it

Last edited by skisnow92; 11-26-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 02:01 PM

34 posts, read 28,164 times
I understand the consequences of trying to trick the system and its not worth a PFD. You loose your PFD's FOR LIFE!!! And look at what's happening to the family on that dumb "Alaskan Bush" show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska