Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,793 times

Advertisements

Hello all! last summer I worked in the Southeast and basically fell in love with Alaska. I am planning on relocating permanently. I have been doing a lot of research on Anchorage and it seems like a good place to start out. I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about quality of life, ease of relocating, job availability, etc. I am active in the arts and theater as well and I am looking for some information about opportunities in the city.

Any information is appreciated! Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,638,593 times
I guess for me, the biggest thing would be having a job lined up before the move. Or having at least 3 months worth of cash saved up.
If you loved Southeast, Anchorage is going to be very different...

Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,900,167 times
Anchorage is Alaska's "easy mode" but it's also a pretty generic medium-sized city. If you fell in love with the SE maybe you should keep your eye open for opportunities in one of the still accessible, but smaller and more colorful, road system communities, like Homer or Seward. Homer in particular has an active arts community.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:11 PM

10,681 posts, read 7,894,679 times
Like Stafford said, Anchorage will be very different than SE. What kind of work will you be looking for?
Juneau has two theater companies, perhaps you could find a job with one of them.
Perseverance theatre: Main Home Page - Perseverance Theatre
Theatre in the Rough: Theatre in the Rough

Old 11-24-2015, 05:15 PM

7,553 posts, read 17,305,769 times
I agree with Frostnip. Homer could be a good medium between the Southeast and Anchorage. Especially across Kachemak Bay (Seldovia etc.) really feels more Southeast than the rest of the Kenai Peninsula. It's a 4-ish hour drive into Anchorage, so not completely undoable for those seasonal shopping trips / vacation into 'regular America.'

Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,908,370 times
I agree with that ^^^ Also, keep in mind that last summer was exceptionally nice in SE weatherwise, and what you experienced isn't the norm for the panhandle unless you were up around Haines/Skagway.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,793 times
Thanks everyone! I was up in Skagway last year. I'll do some digging and check out Homer!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 PM

256 posts, read 455,738 times
Homer is a great place to live, rent, food, and gas is decent. I met my wife in Homer about 8 years ago this coming summer.

Some job potential for year round employment:

Lands Resort and hotel - spa, restaurant, hotel and condos. They offered me a full time job middle of January for $10 an hour 8 years ago.

Napa

Carquest

Oriely's auto part (new).

Napa

Subway

McDonalds

Safeway

Ulmers

Gear Shed

Starvin' Marvin's pizza

Boss Hogz

Petro gas station

Home Run Oil (pays well)

Shell gas station on the way out of town.

Bear Creek Winery

Just to name a few. Plus, the Homer Spit opens up for summer and there are TONS of jobs available and most actually pay really well.

Like others have said very artsy down there, but everyone is down to earth and gets along really well. Good mix and match group of people. The Church's in the area are also active and have lots going on throughout the winter to keep people busy.

There is also KBC that is tied in with UAA and KPC (Kenai Peninsula College), and an excellent unaccredited free bible college (Alaska bible institute), only requires you to pay room and board if you live on campus.

If you have any more questions or need help, let me know. I regularly visit Homer and have many good friends still living down there.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,196,620 times
And don't forget the SaltyDog!

Old 12-08-2015, 07:09 AM

256 posts, read 455,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
And don't forget the SaltyDog!
I always walk out of there feeling like I need a shot before returning to work on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska