Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:31 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting this Met. Hopefully it'll cause others to slow down and make sure their plan is solid before making the plunge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:41 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
We should make this a sticky. Hey, this is what we needed for that idiot who wanted to bring his homeless pregnant wife and children to Fairbanks to live(?) this winter.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
They aren't asking for cash. They are looking for a place to rent for $800/month.
Yep. And what they're asking for isn't a stretch in rural Oregon. They're willing to pay a fair market price for what will be a livable but not luxurious place. Rentals are kind of tight where they're at., which is probably why they chose to place on ad on CL. I don't know if they're idiots or morons are simply people who ran into a bad patch of luck, but I suspect it's the latter. Bad luck can happen to anyone, but most of the time, it's harder to bounce back from a batch patch of luck in Alaska than in other places. People need to take worse case scenarios into account when planning on relocating to Alaska instead of just considering it a normal move requiring a normal amount of preplanning and caution.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-28-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 06:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Whatever happened to that idiot who was going to spend the winter in Fairbanks with his wife and kids? Was he the one who threatened to shoot us all or whatever, or was that someone else? I'm losing track of trolls.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Family in desperate need. Please read and pass along

*We had a house in Corvallis we rented for 4years and never was late on rent. We decided to move to Alaska and try it out long story short it was very crappy and we flew back, currently living with my wife's parents who are both in there 80s and it's a small trailer so it's very difficult*

It's a rough story that is heard a lot. I can understand people want a new life and take a gamble on coming to a new place, and with all the "Reality" shows on Alaska it is easy to get hoodwinked into thinking this is the golden ticket!

Some do come here and thrive, others fail and leave worse than they came.

I guess a dose of reality is a tough way to learn about doing your homework!

Hope they found a place back home!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to that idiot who was going to spend the winter in Fairbanks with his wife and kids? Was he the one who threatened to shoot us all or whatever, or was that someone else? I'm losing track of trolls.
I think those were different dudes. At least they were different incarnations. The one who wanted to bring his pregnant wife and kids here homeless for the winter because "Fairbanks is the best place for that; his world class research techniques told him so" got banned after saying a lot of naughty things to people who were trying to talk sense into him and potentially save the lives of his family.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I think those were different dudes. At least they were different incarnations. The one who wanted to bring his pregnant wife and kids here homeless for the winter because "Fairbanks is the best place for that; his world class research techniques told him so" got banned after saying a lot of naughty things to people who were trying to talk sense into him and potentially save the lives of his family.
He must've gotten his advise from 50 below.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Yep. And what they're asking for isn't a stretch in rural Oregon. They're willing to pay a fair market price for what will be a livable but not luxurious place. Rentals are kind of tight where they're at., which is probably why they chose to place on ad on CL. I don't know if they're idiots or morons are simply people who ran into a bad patch of luck, but I suspect it's the latter. Bad luck can happen to anyone, but most of the time, it's harder to bounce back from a batch patch of luck in Alaska than in other places. People need to take worse case scenarios into account when planning on relocating to Alaska instead of just considering it a normal move requiring a normal amount of preplanning and caution.
I e talked to quite a bit of folks about moving up here. One thing j like about the CD advise is those of us that are from here give reality advise.

Alaska is totally different than lower 48. You have to have an exfil plan. Heck we have a savings account that we don't touch and it's for just in case.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:23 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
They aren't asking for cash. They are looking for a place to rent for $800/month.
ha I'm an idiot, I didn't see the $800 thing at the top left corner, just read their post.
That's different, if they are willing to pay like a regular person and not asking for someone to put them up for free.
Prob still poor planners but poor planners who pay their way are OK with me.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
ha I'm an idiot, I didn't see the $800 thing at the top left corner, just read their post.
That's different, if they are willing to pay like a regular person and not asking for someone to put them up for free.
Prob still poor planners but poor planners who pay their way are OK with me.
I wouldn't even call them poor planners. Just wasn't what they were looking for. I once worked with a lady that researched AK for five years. She didn't last a full year. We spent a total of two weeks while in vacation in Puerto Rico and decided this is the place for us. It's more about mentality than planning. If you want to make it work you can.

Then again they could have been poor planners but they were able to return to their Oregon comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska