Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarisaSMouse View Post
Opportunity. There's a need for the position I would be taking, and I want to fill that need.
Okay... That makes sense. You didn't mention in your original post that you already had a job lined up and was just looking for additional information.... My bad. Apologies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:16 AM

57 posts, read 56,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Okay... That makes sense. You didn't mention in your original post that you already had a job lined up and was just looking for additional information.... My bad. Apologies...
No offense taken. The posts here have very strong advice about not coming up just because it's gorgeous in summer with no job lined up, no network and no plan. I'm looking forward to it because the vast majority of people sound like good people. If you're in paradise surrounded by it's no longer paradise. Culture shock and wariness can usually be overcome on both sides. I've found that the community around you makes all the difference.

Do you have any additional advice?

Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM

459 posts, read 608,740 times
Your husband might be able to make some money on the side being a handy-man if he is pretty skilled in labor work. Bartering is common in the bush, so money, or fish or other meat, as payment is common (at least it is here)

Old 12-14-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Your husband might be able to make some money on the side being a handy-man if he is pretty skilled in labor work. Bartering is common in the bush, so money, or fish or other meat, as payment is common (at least it is here)
I wasn't sure about that, because of the posts I'd read here about how things are so tightly knit that no one wants to take a chance on an outsider when they can hire a family member or someone already vetted by family. I'll ask him, though. Thank you.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
I wasn't sure about that, because of the posts I'd read here about how things are so tightly knit that no one wants to take a chance on an outsider when they can hire a family member or someone already vetted by family. I'll ask him, though. Thank you.
It all depends. Larger villages or hubs aren't as picky. Smaller are more so. However, good dependable and sober workers will be in demand.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:06 PM

Made it to the State, thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread for helping me make the decision and adjust to living here. I'm enjoying being here so far, and most everyone I've met who is from else is happy to be here as well.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:34 PM

459 posts, read 608,740 times
Hope you will enjoy it. Spring is not so far away now.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Quote:
Made it to the State, thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread for helping me make the decision and adjust to living here. I'm enjoying being here so far, and most everyone I've met who is from else is happy to be here as well.
Are you in Bethel yet? The city of Bethel is looking for Utility Truck Drivers (water and sewage).

Welcome to Alaska.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Hope you will enjoy it. Spring is not so far away now.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Saw my first early morning fog on the river and was blown away. The thaws should be in May? that will be fun. Hope it doesn't flood too much. Getting a lot of advice about how to handle the mosquitoes, though. Everyone says we won't have to worry about the Zika virus wrecking havoc down south, though, because the mosquitoes up here don't carry the same diseases as elsewhere due to population.

Anyone else heard anything Zika warnings for the delta area?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Are you in Bethel yet? The city of Bethel is looking for Utility Truck Drivers (water and sewage).

Welcome to Alaska.
Thank you WarPTman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska