Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM

108 posts, read 185,172 times

Advertisements

So, I will probably be moving to Juneau if I am offered this one particular job. Now, pardon me for sounding like a dumbass, but I have NEVER moved out of state before, so I have NO IDEA how to do this process.

The job is slated to start in January or February and I'm trying to figure out how to get all my **** together and moved. I am considering renting a U-Haul and taking it up, and ferrying it to Haines and then Juneau since the roads don't lead there. The other issue is selling (or renting out) my current house. I still need to find housing up in Juneau as well.

Has anyone else done this? I'm sure someone has. Does it just seem overwhelming or is it really so?

Thanks!

***EDIT***

Forgot to mention, it's a law enforcement position and I am currently a cop in the lower 48, so what should/could I do with my firearms in order to get them there? (AR-15, several handguns, several shotguns)

Last edited by jchughes05; 12-07-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,195,392 times
Here is a lengthy discussion about getting firearms through Canada that might interest you.
Experience Transporting Firearms through Canada?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,634,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchughes05 View Post
I am considering renting a U-Haul and taking it up, and ferrying it to Haines and then Juneau since the roads don't lead there. I still need to find housing up in Juneau as well.
what should/could I do with my firearms in order to get them there? (AR-15, several handguns, several shotguns)
No need to include Haines in your ferry plan. Drive to Bellingham, Washington and catch the Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Juneau. This keeps you out of Canada, so the firearms are not an issue.
Alaska Marine Highway System - Official site of the Alaska DOT&PF
If you drive, you'll drive to Haines and then take the ferry down to Juneau. But you'll have to go through Canada. Which means shipping your firearms to a dealer in Juneau. And you'll need your passport. No passport needed with the ferry.
Housing in Juneau is very tight. Good luck.
Oh, and welcome to Alaska!!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 AM

195 posts, read 279,716 times
I'll second the ferry suggestion. When my husband and I moved to Juneau we took the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau and it made transporting his firearms (he's a big hunter) much, much easier.

As a word of caution, housing in Juneau is outrageous. Everything is expensive and competitive. I've been to open houses for apartments where there were 50 other people competing for the same, crappy 1 or 2 bedroom place. That being said, rent for the first year in case you end up not liking it here. If you like it and can swing it, I highly recommend trying to buy after that. Lots of people in Juneau live in condos because it is cheaper than renting. Depending on where you are coming from you may think that the purchase prices of condos are crazy, but in the long run it's probably better than throwing $1200/month at a slumlord.

If you have any Juneau-specific questions I would be happy to answer them!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:33 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,729,136 times
Take the ferry from Bellingham. Then you don't have to deal with Canadian customs as others have said.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:46 AM

10,650 posts, read 7,865,741 times
Ferry from Bellingham, which is a three day affair, or hire a moving company to ship your belongs and fly up on Alaska Airlines.

If you don't have housing lined up, storing the gear in your current location and postponing the U haul until spring/summer may be worth considering.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:28 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,571,043 times
FYI, pet rentals in Juneau are very rare. So if you have pets, you'll lose maybe 80% of the rental market. Also, you'll be coming in at the same time as the legislature, so the rental market is even tighter. As others have said, taking the ferry from Bellingham will save you many hassles, but it costs much more than going through Canada. Also look at the cost from Prince Rupert since it's less than Bellingham and you'll avoid Alcan winter driving, which can be bad if you have limited experience driving in ice/snow conditions. You won't eliminate icy/snowy road conditions though.

If they haven't flown you to Juneau, you should insist on it. Plan an extra day or two to scope out rentals and the RE market. You might even get lucky and find something.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:51 PM

623 posts, read 961,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchughes05 View Post
So, I will probably be moving to Juneau if I am offered this one particular job. Now, pardon me for sounding like a dumbass, but I have NEVER moved out of state before, so I have NO IDEA how to do this process.

The job is slated to start in January or February and I'm trying to figure out how to get all my **** together and moved. I am considering renting a U-Haul and taking it up, and ferrying it to Haines and then Juneau since the roads don't lead there. The other issue is selling (or renting out) my current house. I still need to find housing up in Juneau as well.

Has anyone else done this? I'm sure someone has. Does it just seem overwhelming or is it really so?

Thanks!

***EDIT***

Forgot to mention, it's a law enforcement position and I am currently a cop in the lower 48, so what should/could I do with my firearms in order to get them there? (AR-15, several handguns, several shotguns)

As soon as you find out, start securing housing. Legislative session starts in January and good housing will be hard to find.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 PM

191 posts, read 288,825 times
Any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: