Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 PM

22 posts, read 22,715 times

Advertisements

I'm not that far away in WA state and I had no idea rates had skyrocketed so much in AK. Much of the rest of the country is not in this same situation with Obamacare and probably like me is not aware of what is going on in AK. I'm not making a political statement, I'm just pointing this out because if I was living in AK I wouldn't be putting a reversal of Obamacare as the best way this gets resolved for the better.

I don't see how middle class families in AK can deal with this. Is this the #1 thing for state politicians right now? And if it isn't, how can it not be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Well, Alaska and other rural areas aren't that attractive to most healthcare professionals, so there isn't much competition, and the COL is high.

Health Insurance Prices: Highest In Alaska, Lowest In Sun Belt : Shots - Health News : NPR

No idea what the answer is. In your position, I'd keep a winter home in WA and hang onto your residency (and insurance) in that state.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Listening to Michael Savage again, I see...

pffft
I listen to 970AM in Fairbanks. The Michael Savage's show has not been broadcasted in Fairbanks for at least two years.

May 2014:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/up...-out.html?_r=0

Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
No, they are focused on the budget and where money for it is going to come from since oil money is drying up... has dried up?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I listen to 970AM in Fairbanks. The Michael Savage's show has not been broadcasted in Fairbanks for at least two years.

May 2014:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/up...-out.html?_r=0
That probably explains why you've been much easier to get along with lately now that your favorite wingnut is off the air up there

Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That probably explains why you've been much easier to get along with lately now that your favorite wingnut is off the air up there
Quite funny. But the reason is that I am getting too old to argue.

Anyway, regardless of which way the employer sponsored insurance goes, more than likely the Government Exchange will be its future. There is something about that in here (scroll down the page) to Healthcare Directions:
http://www.ncpers.org/files/Conferen...%20Johnson.pdf

The problem for Alaska at the moment is that it is paying a huge amount of cash for the insurance of State workers. It all means that the employees' deductibles will have to increase as it has for the past two years. Lets wait and see what happens on the fiscal year 2017 arrival this summer. If still alive, I will be enjoying my retirement years by then
-------------

Back to the OP: The healthcare service in Alaska is not the best for special care. Dental care is OK, but very expensive, too. Not a bad idea to have medical evacuation insurance for the whole family.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:51 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I don't know what the answer is. I know most wouldnt support the same Healthcare prices no matter what state you lived in. Even though to me its sounds good on the surface.

Something will have to happen to change the way we do Healthcare because the system is still slowly failing.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
There's a guy up at the mine who has 10 kids and his premium is only $50 more per month than mine, a single person.
Does his premium cover his wife? Kids are often covered by a government program in most states, "Children's Health Insurance Program" AKA "CHIP" but the name varies from state to state.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Something will have to happen to change the way we do Healthcare because the system is still slowly failing.
What would work? The only thing I can think of that would work for everyone would be to nationalize all health care, make all hospitals become government hospitals, and all doctors become government employees. But what are the odds we would go down that path? Maybe the government would subsidize medical education. If you want to become a doctor, you can go to medical school free, if you agree to become a government employee once you become a doctor. That might get us a lot more doctors, because a lot of people can't afford to go to medical school.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Does his premium cover his wife? Kids are often covered by a government program in most states, "Children's Health Insurance Program" AKA "CHIP" but the name varies from state to state.
Yes, it covers his whole family... all 12 people. That was the point of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska