Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
LOL ... another reality TV type. Good grief ... better take a missile launcher too for those long shots ...
LOL....
She sounds like a naive Reality TV fan that could get in
some real trouble in Alaska. The differences between the
northeastern USA and Alaska is that you actually have a
service industry and more people to save your bacon back
east....Alaska you are more or less on your own...and
responsible for your own safety and well being.

I never really had any problems with the BEARS and
there was actual USCG Men who HUNTED AND SHOT
AND KILLED BEARS and brought the dead bears down to
the ship the USCG USS Sweetbrier. I was the ship General
Quarters #1 Gunner for the ship and had one USAF Marksmanship Ribbon and one USCG Marksmanship
Ribbon and one USCG Marksmanship Medal ( If the guys
on my ship) could kill bears so could I...

Last edited by Howest2008; 02-17-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
March isn't usually that cold, and the Northeastern US, where the OP is from, gets as much or more winter precipitation than most of the interior does. Certainly watch the weather forecasts and road conditions, and plan ahead with gear, but it's not really that dramatic IMO.

That said, if I was touristing, I'd just do the train when going long-distance, for convenience's sake.

Eh. My view is that unless you're very comfortable and skilled with your gun, carrying a gun isn't very effective against bear attacks. Everyone likes to think they're the secret lovechild of Quick Draw McGraw and Rambo, but it's pretty hard to kill a bear, especially a charging or attacking bear.

Prevention - bear safety - is a lot more effective and can make attacks very unlikely anyway. I've seen dozens of bears (at least) and never had one even bluff charge me. They see/hear I'm coming, they shamble off. Not that bear-human incidents don't happen, but my feeling is that unless you're in a super bear-rich environment (like an active salmon run), there's no point in freaking out about bears. Again, it makes sense to be prepared, but it's not usually a huge deal.

Bears are also less densely populated in the interior than in some other parts of the state.

The best weapon to use on a bear is your brain....

Old 02-17-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Some bear safety tips provided they're even out in March (and they could be, from what I've read so far). Wasn't there something in the ADN a day or so ago about winter bears in Anchorage?

Frostnip is right. Chances of you getting gobbled up by a bear are pretty slim, and running around Alaska armed to the teeth because you might see a bear is stupid. Your best protection against a bear attack is right between your ears.

Use scentless grooming products. Shampoo, lotion, all of that tends to smell sweet, like the berries and honey that wild bears are drawn to. If you camp, which you probably won't want to do in March, park your vehicle with your food some distance from your tent. Probably most importantly, don't run, bike, or speedwalk on wooded trails. I think this where most people fail to use common sense. If you're moving swiftly in the direction of a bear, the animal will likely interpret that as charging behavior, and this can trigger in attack, particularly among mothers with cubs.

You probably won't have to worry about any of this, but I'd use caution on any trails just to be safe.
Bear Spray is better that a gun....

Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The best weapon to use on a bear is your brain....
This is also the best weapon to use against bad advice about Alaska from non-Alaskans on the internet.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
LOL....
She sounds like a naive Reality TV fan that could get in
some real trouble in Alaska.
If you're typing about the OP (kind of hard to tell what you mean because of the substandard English), she actually sounds like a reasonably nice person who is using this forum for what it's actually for -- advice from those who live in or are highly familiar with a certain location.

I'm not sure what the BS is all about in this thread. She asked some legit questions and got some good answers -- as well as some unwarranted BS.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
This is also the best weapon to use against bad advice about Alaska from non-Alaskans on the internet.
I Rep you for that nugget of truth 1 1/2 Years in Alaska in
1976&77...

She be prepared by the time she get up there thanks to
the true dye in the wool Alaskan....

Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Bear Spray is better that a gun....
I am going to disagree with you. Most people have never shot bear spray. There is a more complicated safety feature on a can of spray than a pistol. The range of the can is no where near the range of a pistol. Also, if the wind is blowing in your face, you will get residue spray.

The best bear defense is what ever you are most proficient with. Most people wouldn't even be able to hit a moving bear with spray or a bullet. I think the bear threat is often times over-exaggerated.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
I Rep you for that nugget of truth 1 1/2 Years in Alaska in
1976&77...

She be prepared by the time she get up there thanks to
the true dye in the wool Alaskan....
Yeah, I think driving conditions and whatnot have changed a tiny bit in the last 35 years.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you're typing about the OP (kind of hard to tell what you mean because of the substandard English), she actually sounds like a reasonably nice person who is using this forum for what it's actually for -- advice from those who live in or are highly familiar with a certain location.

I'm not sure what the BS is all about in this thread. She asked some legit questions and got some good answers -- as well as some unwarranted BS.
I missed this little response " well everyone writes substandard English " with the one exception of
experts in the English Language...I can take a ribbing
on being guilty of that.

BY THE WAY WHAT DOES BS STAND FOR ( BIG SHIPS )

Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think driving conditions and whatnot have changed a tiny bit in the last 35 years.
That was 40 years ago roads have changed for the
better , I'll grant you that.

I was concerned about the OP , but ALASKA is not
what it once upon a time used to be.

OP certainly wasn't trying to give you any BS....
( BIG SHIPS ).....lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska