Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:04 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on taking some lower 48 friends to McCarthy / Kennicott this summer for some epic adventuring. Trying to decide on the relative merits of flying from Chitina versus doing the full drive down to McCarthy. Has anyone driven all the way to the footbridge? Any tips or warnings? Looks like there are some really beautiful scenes with water, mountains, bridges, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Either way will be awesome in my opinion.... I have a desire to do the drive from Anchorage. But I am a 'driver' and I like driving.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Flight seeing this area-Wrangell/St. Elias-would be more scenic than driving, though I've never done either one.

You could probably rent some mountain bikes in McCarthy for getting around to see the sights and go for hikes.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:27 AM

Both 'scenic' ways depend greatly on the weather. I've seen a lot flying into Anchorage from Seattle and MSP and other times I got a really good look at the clouds all the way to landing at the airport. Same thing with driving...

Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Flightseeing is definitely a great way to see Alaska, but I've found that I can minimize costs and maximize experience by driving when possible. (Also, I get to take more gear.) I enjoy stopping along a route and exploring the side stuff. For example, on the road to McCarthy from Chitina, looks like there's at least a couple lakes within a half mile hike that would fun to explore.

I'm always a bit wary of gravel roads since I simultaneously popped two tires (!) on Skilak Lake two summers ago. I usually only carry one spare, and plugging tires roadside is just a hassle. Google Street View has actually mapped the entire road all the way to the footbridge, and the conditions look fairly decent. Some parts of the road past Chitina even look partially paved with chat or similar material.

Here's a couple really great spots:

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.5267...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@61.4877...8i6656!6m1!1e1

FWIW, the one time I definitely suggest flightseeing is Denali ... the glacier landings and the ability to fly over/through clouds trumps the park roads, anytime.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM

I stopped to see if someone needed help with a flat and he was on his FOURTH new tire. Kept having to leave the trailer and go back to the tire place to get another one... This was on the chip seal/gravel part of the Alcan...

Those photos were taken in 2009 - so road conditions could be different. Have fun with your trip!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Ouch! Four new tires would definitely make me wanna just turn around.

I made it up the Alcan towing a 15' trailer on my Subie without a flat or a chipped windshield. Pretty remarkable, in retrospect. I was a naive southerner and didn't even bring a gas can. I definitely thought we might pop a tire after the Haines junction, since the road conditions were so terrible (at least a few years ago).

This promo video for Wrangell Air is pretty cool. Hmmmmm......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG0Bb_uHmrA

Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 PM

You have done better than I have. I haven't made the AlCan trip yet without chipping or cracking a windshield... Driven it 5 times (if you count each "way" as 1) and 5 busted windshields. No popped tires though. Destruction Bay was bad the last few years - hasn't changed. Best condition was when I drove it in November vs. May, June, and July. Snow being packed by the plows seemed to really smooth it out.

I'll be driving it again this year if all goes as planned. Roundtrip too. Once down and then back with a trailer with the remainder of our stuff. Not looking forward to getting the windshield replaced - but if it happens, it happens. They should rename the Glenn Highway to Broken Windshield Way...

Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
You replace your windshield ? I just leave the cracks so I blend in better up here. Although I probably need to get it replaced one of these days.

Is the road to McCarthy rough enough to avoid most of the RV traffic common on Alaska's highways? I need to make it down there myself one of these days. I'd personally drive as I'm cheap and also enjoy driving but I'm sure whatever way you choose will be nice. Have fun.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Ohh no... I don't replace them. I broke one on the way up in a rental F150, on the way back in a rental Expedition. I broke the one in a Uhaul on the way up. And then my old truck I traded in had multiple cracks/bullseyes on the windshield and also the car we drove up, which the other day cracked and still has bullseye's in it from rocks...

Ohh and my new truck has two chips and a bullseye in it as well. But that was from the Glenn not the AlCan...

You do sorta feel out of place with a non-chipped or cracked windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska