Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:25 PM

339 posts, read 729,615 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone-

My husband and I are relocating to Haines this summer and are considering buying property and putting up a cheap cabin kit if we can't find decent rental housing (especially hard with pets).

I've heard good things about Friesen's custom cabins and they look affordable. Not sure what getting one to Haines would cost.

But I'm wondering, what's the final cost when you factor in the wiring, plumbing, cabinetry, appliances, and heating? Anything else I'm not considering?

It's also not clear whether any type of foundation is included.

Anyone have experience with this?

Looking to go cheap as possible---- it would only be temporary- after a year we'll decide whether to build ourselves a real home on the property or to sell.

Any ideas besides cabin kits welcome! I'm sure my husband would love to put together a temp Conex home for us, but I'm not too keen on that plan!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
No, but if you find out, let me know. I need to have a cabin built.

You'll probably love Haines and want to stay forever, so keep in mind that Alaska residents get 10,000 feet of board timber each per year, so if you and/or your husband have construction skills, that might come in handy. My neighbors do it...I don't really know the details -- it's through the Forest Service and is called Free Use Timber. Tells a little about it here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongas...TELPRDB5404453

I'm pretty sure my neighbors pay a small local mill to cut and mill it for them. Never asked about cost, but it must be cheaper than just buying the lumber because they keep doing it.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:25 AM

Wow.... had no idea- we'll definitely check into that!

Old 03-05-2016, 01:44 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,106,740 times
I think I'd rather live in a wall tent than a container :-o

Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Hey everyone-

My husband and I are relocating to Haines this summer and are considering buying property and putting up a cheap cabin kit if we can't find decent rental housing (especially hard with pets).

I've heard good things about Friesen's custom cabins and they look affordable. Not sure what getting one to Haines would cost.

But I'm wondering, what's the final cost when you factor in the wiring, plumbing, cabinetry, appliances, and heating? Anything else I'm not considering?

It's also not clear whether any type of foundation is included.

Anyone have experience with this?

Looking to go cheap as possible---- it would only be temporary- after a year we'll decide whether to build ourselves a real home on the property or to sell.

Any ideas besides cabin kits welcome! I'm sure my husband would love to put together a temp Conex home for us, but I'm not too keen on that plan!!
You did see where they are T-111 right? Stop by your big box home improvement store and go inspect a piece of T-111 and see if you want your house made out of it.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
I think it'd be better to either rent or build a nice cabin.

Check out this company, not far away in Hoonah. Alaska Wood Products

Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
A lot of the cheaper land is out of town a bit. Also some of the land has CC&R's which call for a permanent foundation (no cabins on skids) and minimum size requirements and such, so be sure the parcel you choose can accommodate all your needs. Just something to think about.

I'd say you could get a rough cabin shell built for approx $10k or so, depending on size and features. Alaskaslist.com has a building/shed subsection that sometimes has decent cabins. Alaska's List : Buildings & Sheds : 16' x 20' 6" D Log Cabin Kit this seems like a pretty good deal.

A pro of this plan is you can save money by not renting. A con is you'll inevitably find a parcel you like better the more time you spend there.

If I was trying to build a cabin by the end of the summer, I'd get started on buying the land right now. I'd also pick up a wall tent to live in while I'm building.

Anyways, good luck to you.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 03-05-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Well, the hope is that we'll find something to rent- right now there is not a single option for someone with pets. I put up some housing wanted ads already.

We are already paying mortgage on a home in Fairbanks that we'll be renting this year (don't want to sell until we're sure we like Haines) so it would be risky to put all of our savings into another property and have another mortgage/construction loan to pay off. Our combined income is also being cut in half with the move. If something major were to happen (unexpected big expense, couldn't find renters, lost my job, etc.) we'd be in deep.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I think I'd rather live in a wall tent than a container :-o
I've lived in both and liked the connex better. Especially in bear country. Insulate the inside, put in a small wood stove and it's not too bad, for a temporary deal. Plus after you build then you already have a secure dry storage building.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
I like stiffnecked idea with the conexes too. I've slept in a few myself. And one was a couple of them built together for larger space.

treehugger has some DIY cabin plans that go over how to build them on sono tubes or foundation. I don't what the land in Haines is like so you will have to see which is a better way to build.

Might check out some lumber mills as some will cut your wood for free if you give them a percentage of your lumber.

I'm sort of looking into having a cabin built too.

How to build a 3 bedroom shipping container home youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQkAQ8JMRmA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska