Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,481 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move to Seward, and a friend is going to take the ferry with me up to Haines before flying out of anchorage. I didn't realize that the road to anchorage crosses into Canada until recently. Are they strict with passports? I have one, but if my friend has a US drivers license and a printout of her flight, will that be ok to get us through?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,258,491 times
No. You need a passport or a passport card to get into Canada from the United States from Haines.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,623,509 times
Passports will be needed to get back into the U.S.
Your friend could fly home from Juneau.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,555,756 times
The reality is that a passport is not required to enter Canada, but a passport is required to enter the U.S. Knowing this, Canada will not let you enter without a passport because they want you to eventually leave. Other acceptable forms of ID include enhanced drivers license and NEXUS cards. If she lives in Washington State, the EDL might be the quickest way to get acceptable ID.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,535,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The reality is that a passport is not required to enter Canada, but a passport is required to enter the U.S. Knowing this, Canada will not let you enter without a passport because they want you to eventually leave. Other acceptable forms of ID include enhanced drivers license and NEXUS cards. If she lives in Washington State, the EDL might be the quickest way to get acceptable ID.
Which I find weird, since even if you have to be in secondary screening for hours if you can prove your US Citizen status, the CBP cannot deny entry back into America.
Green Card may be another story though

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,555,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Which I find weird, since even if you have to be in secondary screening for hours if you can prove your US Citizen status, the CBP cannot deny entry back into America.
Green Card may be another story though
Here are the Canadian requirements: Travellers - Travel Documents

Quote:
Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Whether you’re entering by air, land or water, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Canadian citizens who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.
They allow more alternative forms of ID. Passports are a U.S. Customs requirement and since Canadian Customs know this, they're likely to turn you away from the border because you may not be able to leave Canada for a long period. I've heard you can eventually get through the border without a passport, just as you can go through TSA security at the airport without ID, but do you want to risk a long delay?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Used to be a DL and a birth certificate was enough, but not any more.

An Alaska DL at one point won't even be enough for you to fly domestically. You'll need a passport for that unless Alaska gets with the RealID program. Yes, I know that AK keeps getting waivers, but at one point that waver will expire and not get renewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska