Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met - Yes and no. The people that can directly fix Alaska's budget need to do that work. That doesn't mean that climate change prevention stops.
Thanks for the laugh. The people who can directly fix it sold themselves out for the "check," will probably continue to do so, and any politician who even breathes so much about that is accused of violating your "rights." The whining and crying every time re-implementing the state income tax is...well, it's whining and crying.

Meanwhile, both west coast and commercial sports coho fishing is probably going to be closed up and down the west coast this year except -- you guessed it, SE Alaska. That's partially because of well-implemented fisheries research and management that someone was crying about in another thread.

Quote:
That doesn't mean that climate change prevention stops.
Actually, it does...you know, that pesky research that hit the fiscal chopping block way in advance of the check...or a newly enacted state income tax...

Oil's gone, probably won't be coming back anytime soon, and there doesn't seem to be a line of sugar daddies waiting in the wings to support Alaskans.

Shannyn Moore has an interesting take on it. She's pretty much right, but she's also failing to see outside the Alaska oil scene onto the global fossil fuel picture.

Sad but true, fellow Alaskans: We've got the Legislature we deserve | Alaska Dispatch News

Sorry, but I'm just lacking patience with the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the fiscal mess Alaska's gotten itself into. It's been clearly coming for so long. It's like sitting on the train tracks bawling a river when the train is almost upon you when you've had abundant time to get out of the way.

You know, I've received a few PFDs over the course of the years, including the first one the state ever issued, but I've believed for years that the "check" is one of the worst things that ever happened to Alaska. Every year, violence rates rise the weekend following distribution of the "check," meth dealers flourish, alcohol sales skyrocket, I've seen so many parents blow their children's money on wtf ever junk sparkles and catches their eyes. Very few actually do something productive with their childrens' checks such as (gasp) put it in a bank account for when the kids are old enough to decide for themselves what to do with their money. Then they cry about how unfair the world is when they can't afford college costs.

I also firmly believe that the "check" has caused too many of a certain type of person to relocate to Alaska. Of course, it's stupid to make a major move based on something like that, but people aren't very smart. People -- mostly young families where the parents had no particular skills -- flocked after the inflated check of 2008 made national news. They were too dumb to research it enough to understand that establishing residency isn't immediate and that the distribution amounts vary wildly by year. Nonetheless, some are still there, basically living off benefits and the "check," and are probably among those who cry the loudest when they feel that their *cough cough cough* "fiercely independent" lifestyle is threatened.

Someone from my island made a motion in the legislature years ago to end the check by awarding each person a certain amount of cash and then being done with it. The amount was something like 90K. Back then, that would have bought an okay house or bit of land, been enough to fund a business, and the people would have at least had something to show for it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Met - Yes and no. The people that can directly fix Alaska's budget need to do that work. That doesn't mean that climate change prevention stops.

Also, Climate change is going to take a worldwide effort. It doesn't even stop at the Federal level in the USA.

It is ironic that the area that is being affected most by climate change is the area that will get affected the most if we stopped using oil.
More than likely, even if humankind disappears, the present period of global warming will continue until its natural end, at which point a global cooling will begin. That's what has happened in previous periods of global warming (s), some of which, according to climatologists, have been even warmer than the present one. As you may already know, remains of forests and animals have been found all over Alaska under glaciers that have melted or retreated, and in other places that in the past were covered by hundreds of feet of ice. All it means is that in previous global warming periods it was hot enough for forests and animals to exist.

The polar regions, including Alaska, will benefit further from this period of global warming, but as I mentioned before, it's all speculation. For the time being, the budget is a lot more important to Alaska than global warming.

About the PDF: more than likely it will be modified to a point of destruction. If the legislators would be smart enough, they would create a similar fund dividend for the State government to function when needed. But that won't happen because the politicians of today don't look into the future like the Alaska founders did; instead they look not further than their pockets.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-16-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I still think that they can work on both issues at the same time and should. I wasn't involved or part of the state until 2 years ago and I can't fix the past either. All I can do is be involved as a voter and hope to shape the future. One is a short term problem that needs to be fixed as soon as possible and the other is an ongoing long term goal to resolve issue. But of course you have brought Alaska specific issues into the fray and that was not what I was referring to.

This year my wife and kids will get the PFD assuming there is one. I've heard that the vices that Pitts likes to indulge in are in high demand when the PFD comes out.

My concern is that nothing will be done with he budget and even I know the oil money train isn't coming back that soon - barring some weird middle eastern war that shuts down a lot of production or miraculously the worlds demand goes up 1000% overnight for several months straight and the plants are built overnight to accommodate it. (sarcasm)

Alaska needs to reinvent itself and find a new revenue stream. I wish I had a good complete answer but I don't... Using the PFD could be a start, so could income and sales taxes. Especially sales taxes that target the millions of people that visit Alaska each year. Cutting waste is a start, but gutting or eliminating almost all service isn't.

The quote from the State Finance Officer for Alaska is epic. Do you want to go down a ramp or off a cliff? We haven't started that down ramp and the cliff is approaching.

I have no way of knowing the fish and fishery issues and problems, but I am certain that you have a plan and would like it implemented to save that industry.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
I still think that they can work on both issues at the same time and should. I wasn't involved or part of the state until 2 years ago and I can't fix the past either. All I can do is be involved as a voter and hope to shape the future. One is a short term problem that needs to be fixed as soon as possible and the other is an ongoing long term goal to resolve issue. But of course you have brought Alaska specific issues into the fray and that was not what I was referring to.

This year my wife and kids will get the PFD assuming there is one. I've heard that the vices that Pitts likes to indulge in are in high demand when the PFD comes out.

My concern is that nothing will be done with he budget and even I know the oil money train isn't coming back that soon - barring some weird middle eastern war that shuts down a lot of production or miraculously the worlds demand goes up 1000% overnight for several months straight and the plants are built overnight to accommodate it. (sarcasm)

Alaska needs to reinvent itself and find a new revenue stream. I wish I had a good complete answer but I don't... Using the PFD could be a start, so could income and sales taxes. Especially sales taxes that target the millions of people that visit Alaska each year. Cutting waste is a start, but gutting or eliminating almost all service isn't.

The quote from the State Finance Officer for Alaska is epic. Do you want to go down a ramp or off a cliff? We haven't started that down ramp and the cliff is approaching.

I have no way of knowing the fish and fishery issues and problems, but I am certain that you have a plan and would like it implemented to save that industry.
I don't disagree, Dakster

Old 03-16-2016, 09:17 PM

I realize most people here don't know jack about the North Pacific seafood industry, which is fine, but I get tired of the know it alls.

I'm firmly in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" category. Alaska seafood isn't broken, and that's largely due to the excellent job done by Fish and Game over the years. At this point, I'm not convinced that the industry needs saving, although I'll freely admit that its biggest threat is global warming. The salmon may be able to adapt; the plankton, not so much. And without the plankton, there is nothing.

Alaska lawmakers have routinely failed for decades to pass any type of realistic legislation designed to promote revenue outside of fossil fuel extraction. The attitude was always that the oil money was more than enough.

Those currently in office know full well that any actual promotion on their part of restructuring the PFD will signal the death toll of their political careers. Yet, it's probably going to have to happen. Same with the income tax.

I realize that most people outside of Anchorage don't understand this, but Alaskan communities have the option of enacting their own sales taxes. We've done it for years, and it works pretty well. But every single part of the state has gotten used to oil revenues funding community amenities.

Quote:
Alaska needs to reinvent itself and find a new revenue stream.
There isn't anything that's going to replace oil. Big Oil was too big, and without it, the state can't support the majority of the residents anymore. Hard decisions are going to have to be made, and lots of people are going to be leaving. Those of you who stay are going to have to take a good look at your own values and stop voting for every damned asstard who waves "the check" in front of your faces. Personally, I think Alaska will benefit in the long run if the population increase experienced during the gas and oil heyday decreases accordingly. The north country was never meant to sustain large populations. Those of you who truly want to stay can probably find a way to make it work, but don't expect another sugar daddy ala Big Oil to materialize.

SE will have it easier in ways; our economy is tied more to Seattle than to the rest of the state. Schools and health care may take a hit.

I get carried away on this topic now and then because this was so predictable.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2016 at 09:27 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I still think that they can work on both issues at the same time and should.
Please explain how that's going to take place now that your elected officials have significantly cut funding for research in these areas in favor of preserving the cherished check and staving off a state income tax for as long as possible because that's what the voters want?

Don't worry, Dakster -- you and your family will get your precious checks this year. Hopefully, you won't have to use them to fund your move back to Florida. On the other hand, plenty of people probably will use their checks for moving costs, and that may be one of the best investments the state could make.

ETA sorry to be rude but the way some of you keep saying that "they have to fix it" is annoying because the problem is more complex than that. Alaska voters have a clear responsibility here, but most of you can be bought pretty cheaply. I'm pretty disgusted with the way Alaskans, especially the newer ones, have sold themselves out for a check, so I'm done with this conversation before I say things that will hurt feelings. There is still plenty of opportunity in Alaska, but the residents don't seem to be able to do much beyond crying for another sugar daddy, which isn't going to happen.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2016 at 11:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I've been up here in some fashion for the better part of three years now and just now qualified for the PFD this year. The libertarian in me didn't want to even apply for it, but in the end, I couldn't turn down free money and applied. So I guess I fall into the "bought cheaply" category . I wouldn't say I sold myself out for a check though. I couldn't care less about it and I do agree that the PFD check is possibly doing more harm than good and I wouldn't be sad if it ever went away. It would probably remove some undesirables. As a responsible member of society I do plan on using my entire families check this year on a high interest loan for a new snowmachine I can't really afford and an all inclusive resort style vacation in hawaii for two weeks!

I don't know much about politics and haven't been here long enough to really from an opinion on how the state should be run, although I understand we are broke. I do like my representative Jim Colver though, mainly because he sends me cool colorful brochures and newsletters in the mail (again, I can be bought very cheaply) and is friends with some of my friends. As a typical lazy millennial, low information, pacified uninformed American voter I don't have any time to look up any of his policies and have no idea if he's part of "the problem" in Juneau or not so I apologize if he's the worst guy ever. I'm all for paying taxes (except a statewide property tax) and having them use whatever portion of the PFD to fund the state. I just wish they'd decide get it over with.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I'm not eligible for a check - my wife and kids are for the first time... Not really worried about it one way or the other. I worked for a long time and I earned a pension and I have a 457 (401K for public employees) plan. My wife works remotely part time for an out of state company and locally in AK part time too. If the AK job goes it will suck, but it doesn't take away her entire income stream. She doesn't work in Government, Construction, O&G industry, or Fishing. No matter what happens here I am NOT going back to Florida... Or at least if I end up back there it will be kicking and screaming the whole way.

Elected can do anything they want, will they is another story. We almost need a "fall guy/gal" to come in and do what is right and take the political hit for the team. One and done. Obviously at one point in Alaska's history there were strong leaders.

Anchorage can't enact sales taxes that easily - well they can, but then it cancels out property taxes. It is in the code that every penny collected in sales tax has to offset property taxes collected. So yes they could change the code... But that would really be asking someone to fall on their sword. And IIRC in order to make that change the voters have to approve and you know that isn't happening.

I agree that hard times could be coming and most likely are. And that is the point as to why I think it is important that things be done NOW... Pardon the cliche' but cuts alone are not going to cut it.

I'm not offended by your posts. You actually make me think about things, which is good. And the problem being so complex is why it needs to be addressed...

Again. CAN and WILL are two different words.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:50 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
At least it snowed here last night and today... Granted it is a slushy mess....

Profound changes are all over you just have to look close to see them. California is in record drought, Miami Beach floods despite the addition of massive water pumps. (and still more are planned - and then they are going to raise up the Island.)

Other areas are getting too much rain or too little. NE US gets record snow fall. Crops are shifting northward. Things that couldn't grow out of the tropics are and even animals are starting to move to more northern latitudes.

It's easy to see and the temp changes are bigger up here, because even I can see that this glacier has moved way back or the ground that never thawed before does now.

As Ray pointed out, today's problem is the budget which needs to get figured out.
The Sierras are actually at about 130% of snowpack... Northern California (the Trinity Alps, etc) are way above that... California got hammered this winter and they are continuing to get hammered.

I woke up to 6" of snow this morning. There is supposed to be more tomorrow morning. So much for my spring fever.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
y.

Elected can do anything they want
Seriously?

No, they can't. That isn't how it works. Elected officials remain answerable to the electorate. If they are "doing anything they want," that's only because their constituents are letting them get away with it.

I really should know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska