Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times

Advertisements

Nothing a little Typar and some gravel wouldn't fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
The picture doesn't really show how steep of a driveway it was. Some gravel and typar would do some wonders to that driveway but you would still need chains and AWD/4x4 at times. The person that owns the cabin is fairly cheap and gravel is expensive and complicated to get out there supposedly because of the weigh station at the beginning of the Elliot highway that the gravel trucks also have to go through. Oh well, that's the great part about renting is it's not my problem anymore .

Old 03-16-2016, 04:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I understand the gravel, but Typar? I thought that was just for use on buildings?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Tyvec ids for buildings, Typar[is a fabric] is for the ground to keep the gravel from disappearing in to the mud.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
When I googled Typar I got a comparison to it vs. Tyvec. Apparently they make a building version comparable to Tyvec which is why I was confused.

Thanks for the clarification!!! Makes sense now.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Landscaping weed mat fabric also works as a substitute for typar in a pinch. Maybe there's some key difference I'm not aware of on why typar is superior but at the time they seemed to be very similar materials and I could get the landscape fabric cheaper and haul it easier in 5 foot width rolls vs the wider 10-12 foot? typar roll. Anyway, it's held up good so far on my driveway.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I think I may have seen the place you're talking about on craigslist ... I rented a cabin near haystack last year and had to chain up a dozen times or so to access it. The last 1/4 mile of "driveway" became pretty much impassible during break up. Beautiful views though. Here's part of the driveway last year during breakup. After this experience I made sure my piece of land I bought was completely flat.

There are lots of areas around fairbanks where you can have a little cabin in the woods without having to travel all the way to circle.
It's 1220 Leuthold... I almost rented it a couple years ago, and I've been thinking about buying it since it's been on the market, but this last trip up there convinced me I don't want to mess with it.

Whoever did the dirt work up there had a room temperature IQ. I've nearly gotten stuck three of the times I've gone up there to look at the place (and knock on wood, I've never gotten stuck in my life). The pad up at the top is not big enough to turn around a full size truck and there are three of the nastiest hairpins I've ever negotiated on the road up there (aka the "driveway"). I can make it around the hairpins if the road is clear and dry, but not if there is snow or if I lose traction at all, and the last time I went up there was a couple weeks ago after it had warmed up and most everywhere else was melted so it was icy. The stupid Chevy is an automatic, so of course you can't feather the clutch and I almost slid off the side of the mountain three times. It was a major pucker situation, for sure. That was the nail in the Chevy's coffin. The search for an old Tacoma is in full swing. Whoever built that place had some little rollerskate car or something.

1220 Leuthold Dr, Fairbanks, AK 99712 | Zillow

It would be a sweet place for someone with a Subaru... or a helicopter.

Last edited by riceme; 03-17-2016 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 01:33 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I think I may have seen the place you're talking about on craigslist ... I rented a cabin near haystack last year and had to chain up a dozen times or so to access it. The last 1/4 mile of "driveway" became pretty much impassible during break up. Beautiful views though. Here's part of the driveway last year during breakup. After this experience I made sure my piece of land I bought was completely flat.

There are lots of areas around fairbanks where you can have a little cabin in the woods without having to travel all the way to circle.
Funny... people always ask me why I carry chains. I never take them out of my truck. There's kind of a lot of weirdos up on Haystack, but I like it up there. Some of those weirdos are my friends, lol.

I totally agree... so many cool little places outside of Fairbanks to escape to. You can drive 15 miles outside of town and never see another soul if you don't want to. Not a single person has ever knocked on my door and I like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska