Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The USFS hires on the Tongass and Chugach. Some are timber positions but most aren't. Most available jobs are temporary summer jobs. Most permanent employees worked seasonally for a while. They usually offer housing at very cheap rates for the temp workers in bunkhouses which helps with the cost of living but you still have to pay to get there and then go home after the season. Alaska is pretty high on many people's desired places to work/live so they are very competitive. I'll tell you a little secret if you want to get anywhere with a forest service or federal natural resource field job in general: find the most undesirable, middle of nowhere place no one really wants to live and apply for jobs there. Use those to get the resume built up to get a job where you want one. You'll still get 100 non-hired results for every job offer but you won't get anywhere as an inexperienced applicant trying to get a first job in SE Alaska with the USFS or Yellowstone National Park with the NPS but you might in Blackduck, MN or similar locales few people are interested in.

Obviously the NPS and BLM hire as well in AK. Forget about BIA jobs if you aren't native. Forget the private sector there for forestry.

It is rather curious that a state with so much spruce timber available in its backyard imports most of its construction materials. Alaska's economy really hasn't gotten too well developed beyond the raw resource extraction stage.
I already new the later, most likely i plan to start anywhere i can (besides the south west or extreme south east as heat gets to me), My high spots are Maine, Montana, with Alaska taking the lead as stated. But personally MN would work, so would butt-**** north dokata, i would be willing to go as far as Tennessee to build a Resume. i probally should reiterate my original question to include the fact that the supposed person asking was prepared, and planned to work horrible jobs for the first 5-10 years, then wanted to apply up in Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
And to summerize (correct if wrong)

Private forestry is dying if not already dead, check back in a few decades
National Forest and Park Service hires, but its competive (i.e. bad chances for even a seasoned vet. of the field)
Forget about BIA, (assuming due to Alaska's high native population, where i am its mostly whites working those jobs)
You need to make atleast 50k to be comfortable, 40k you would survive, but barely

Old 03-28-2016, 07:55 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
And to summerize (correct if wrong)

Private forestry is dying if not already dead, check back in a few decades
National Forest and Park Service hires, but its competive (i.e. bad chances for even a seasoned vet. of the field)
Forget about BIA, (assuming due to Alaska's high native population, where i am its mostly whites working those jobs)
You need to make atleast 50k to be comfortable, 40k you would survive, but barely
Do you have a degree in forestry? Here's a link to a job closing tomorrow, to give you some idea.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewD...nnelID=RESTAPI

There is a private company called Icy Straits lumber, located here in SE AK (Hoonah), that is still in business, and native corporations are still harvesting timber.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Continue to look and apply for all jobs you are willing to do. You still haven't answered what your skill set is? Degrees? Previous experience? Do you have a college degree? If so, in what?

It is possible that the mass exodus here will happen, in which case, you want to be on the list to get called. I'm going with a 50-50 chance that will happen. I wouldn't say don't put in for native jobs either. You have a higher chance of not getting them, but you never know. My wife put it for a dozen jobs and a few interviews before landing a job up here. It takes persistence.

When you are job hunting and find your perfect, awesome job. Look at the requirements, especially previous experience part and strive towards getting them. It's what I would do if I wanted a job in Forestry.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:24 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
FYI, a Forestry degree was becoming a dead end career when I was going in the 70's. I think in the 80's they were actively discouraging students from the field. In the late 90's or early 2000's, they changed the name from School of Forestry to School of Environmental Science.

As you may have guessed, I have a Forestry degree (Forest Engineering), and I had about 12 years experience working in the industry. After 9 years, I knew the direction Forestry was heading and went back to school for a MBA degree. Your only saving grace is that the Baby Boom generation is retiring and more positions may be opening up with the retirements. Your only problem is that the industry continues to shrink. One way to go is to apply for fire fighting positions. If you get on a crew, you'll have contacts with permanent staff who may have insights on your best path to take.

Good luck, but I'd be one to discourage this career choice. In any case, do have a backup plan.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
If your interest is more broadly in environmental sciences, there are random jobs here or there in Alaska, with organizations like Cook Inletkeeper, Alaska Center for the Environment, others, and a patchwork of smaller advocacy orgs (watershed advocates, salmon advocates, etc.). Just a consideration.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times
The Chugach National Forest doesn't have a timber program. They don't hire timber positions.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:01 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
On the subject of the environmental groups in AK-they sued the timber cutting and sawmill in PWS, and I remember the reason given was that they didn't want people to get dependent on a paycheck.

Oh the horror of working for a living!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
And they stopped the cutting of all the beetle killed spruce.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:34 PM

417 posts, read 345,277 times
You probably won't get a job in the enviromental field if you are not a resident. It's a really hard field to get into, and is extremely competitive. Forestry is dead, it's dead pretty much everywhere unless you want to go to go out of the country. The US forestry department does however offer internships for young grads in the forestry field. I don't know how competitive it is, but I think if you are serious about forestry you could check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska