Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:11 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And my point is is that the money to do this has to come from somewhere for these "priorities." Everyone wants the state to keep paying for things, but they cry at any mention of reducing or stopping "the check" or paying an income tax. Everyone has their ideas of what should be a priority, but the money isn't there, and from I'm hearing and reading (not necessarily on this forum), a lot of residents seem unable to grasp that. So what's your solution to paying for the internet in the villages?

I've heard a lot of people say that the villages are important for preserving the "old ways." Seems to me that preserving these might be able to be done without being wired 24/7.
Not sure how I missed that last comment.

The struggle is preserving the old ways while surviving in the new way.
As a teacher there was pressure to not push the kids to much because people didn't want to see their kids leave. The young adults are leaving the village. Affordable living with modern convienience is nice.
I stressed to my HS students to leave and gain vital skills that could be brought back to the village. Make the village better. Only problem is the lack of jobs. There are limited resources. Watching the kids struggle with decisions was heart breaking. There is a point that you have to be proactive, but not many people are willing to give up what they know. Look at the statistics for the percentage of Americans that are living within a few miles of where they grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
This is the reason why my offspring went to school in the -48. ^^^ I didn't want him to be one of those lost Alaskan kids who don't fit in the old world or the new...or anywhere, really. It worked, too.

There is no industry in the bush. What sort of jobs are they supposed to come back to once they gain these vital skills? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

If they want to stay where they are at, by all means, they should do exactly that -- on their own dime. They'd be better off financially making ivory jewelry than getting a real world degree and expecting to find a job in the bush with it.

One more time, the money is running out. I don't know why that's too hard for so many to understand.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-06-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Many -- maybe even most -- rural libraries in all parts of the country offer limited internet. In the small Oregon town my father lives in, library patrons are limited to one hour per day on available computers, if they can get the time. Anyone trying to job search or pursue educational goals doesn't have much of a chance. In Skagway, you've got to make an appointment to use the library internet days in advance, and like other rural libraries, you get an hour. It's nothing new, and it's nothing specific to the bush villages in Alaska. And just like the Alaskan bush, many of these libraries in other parts of the country are also in danger of losing their internet due to various budget cuts.

I'm rather aware that there's a difference between bush and city living. I'm also aware that trying to have things both ways isn't often realistic.

Since job opportunities are so scarce in the bush, what's the point of using the computer to prepare for a job if you're going to stay in the bush rather than move to an area that actually has jobs because doing so would be so damaging?

My point is, again, is where is the money going to come from? What do you suggest the state cut instead of bush internet? Everyone has their favorite projects, but the money is running out. A state rep suggested fundraising/donations to meet the requirement for a federal match.

By the way, the "free internet" offered by many public libraries in the -48 is paid for out of local tax revenues. Maybe that could work in bush Alaska. LOL.
Our city is dealing with the increased tax burden. It's going to get tight. No doubt.

I haven't read one tourniquet solution. All I've read is band aid solutions that will get us through for a few years.

I will admit when I spoke up in favor of income tax as well as PFD cut I was almost stoned to death.
I personally think the state needs to develop different plans for different areas. Our state is so diverse and spread out. A solution for the valley and anchorage won't work for rural areas and then people cry racism or something else.
First step:
1. Implement state income tax on anyone working in the state (regardless of residency status)
2. PFD cuts (doesn't have to be full and I don't like the 30ish% tax, since we are already paying taxes in it).
3. Establish term limits
4. Defund wasted money projects (I keep reading about some bridge or the mat-du ferry)
5. Sounds crazy but start a state lottery and use profits to help fund education.
6. Look into weed revenues (regardless of whether we support the legalization or not, I think there is an opportunity here).

Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
This is the reason why my offspring went to school in the -48. ^^^ I didn't want him to be one of those lost Alaskan kids who don't fit in the old world or the new...or anywhere, really. It worked, too.

There is no industry in the bush. What sort of jobs are they supposed to come back to once they gain these vital skills? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

If they want to stay where they are at, by all means, they should do exactly that -- on their own dime.

One more time, the money is running out. I don't know why that's too hard for so many to understand.
I think you are preaching to the choir here.
There are skills they can bring back though. Business. Marketing. CTE skills (metal, machining, mechanics, electrical, welding, etc). Internet based companies.
Educated village kids are better than drunk village kids. What we see often is a kid leaves and gets to anchorage and a bottle cost $10 vs $80. Or the scheduling aspects. Village time isn't acceptable anywhere other than a village.
Each tribal corporation has the ability to create better board members. What we are stuck with though is what you mention. No industry. None.
Besides the lack of industry we have a lack of knowledge. There are issues in the villages that might have been created by white man ways. Welfare isn't the answer.
We had such a hard time finding childcare because the amount we were paying was not enough to live off of, but was enough to where someone would lose welfare benefits. That's a struggle.
As much as I love the bush, I know once my kids get to a certain age we will be moving out of the bush.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I feel like the reason Alaska attracts a lot of criminals is because they think they can escape from it all in this state, and where criminals come so do welfare leachers.
I agree with that. I never been to Alaska but i always thought there is probably alot of people who move to Alaska because they are running away from something and hoping they can sort've hide out and live their life and not be noticed.

I never had any factual evidence to base that thought on, but just more of a gut feeling than anything else. If I was trying desperately to get away from something or a situation, and I absolutely did not want to be found, I think that would be about the only way I would ever consider moving to Alaska, no offense to Alaskans. I'm sure Alaska is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Way too cold.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I agree with that. I never been to Alaska but i always thought there is probably alot of people who move to Alaska because they are running away from something and hoping they can sort've hide out and live their life and not be noticed.

I never had any factual evidence to base that thought on, but just more of a gut feeling than anything else. If I was trying desperately to get away from something or a situation, and I absolutely did not want to be found, I think that would be about the only way I would ever consider moving to Alaska, no offense to Alaskans. I'm sure Alaska is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Way too cold.
Criminal types actually stick out a lot more in less populated places like Alaska than elsewhere, although I agree that the place has some appeal for them.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post

1. Implement state income tax on anyone working in the state (regardless of residency status)
2. PFD cuts (doesn't have to be full and I don't like the 30ish% tax, since we are already paying taxes in it).
3. Establish term limits
4. Defund wasted money projects (I keep reading about some bridge or the mat-du ferry)
5. Sounds crazy but start a state lottery and use profits to help fund education.
6. Look into weed revenues (regardless of whether we support the legalization or not, I think there is an opportunity here).
It's inevitable that all those ideas ^^^ will be considered and probably implemented at some point. Lately, though, I've gotten really tired of hearing that "we have to have this, we have to have that" when the same people say in the next breath that "the check" is some kind of sacred Alaskan birthright and a personal income tax is heresy.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-06-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 02:49 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I agree with Haolejohn that mentioning that the PFD be ended is grounds for getting stoned to death up here with some people.

I think it's silly to pay taxes and then receive a PFD on the back end. I would be all for funding the state government solely from the PFD and not receiving a check if that's possible, of course I would only want to implement this after my first check comes in . If that isn't enough, I would then prefer an income tax over a sales tax.

In real life, I keep my PFD views to myself as dem r fightin words up here to some entitled people.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:16 PM

I agree that it would be stupid to fund the check with income tax payments, and I don't think that's possible anyway with the way it's set up. State gov. is funded, mostly, from the PFD; the check is just part of that. An income tax is probably inevitable, and while I agree in theory that seasonal workers should chip in with this, the reality is that with the economy pretty good in most parts of the country, seasonal work is becoming less attractive to many people, and another disincentive won't help.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
It is going to be interesting to see what happens and how it is implemented. It isn't going to be interesting in a good way either. Too much at stake.

The problem as some people will see it, with just no taxes being introduced and just using the PFD like 6.7 said,is that it hits people dis-proportionally. But, I argue that an income tax does to. It penalizes you from working as well. And of course, I get Met's point that make it not as appealing to work here and people will look for work elsewhere, where it's easier to get to and the economy is booming.

Tough choices ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska