Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 AM

21 posts, read 21,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I would not recommend driving throughout the night if I were you. Wildlife can appear in the roadway that are much bigger than deer. The days are pretty short that time of year as it is and a minor problem at noon could be a much bigger problem at 1am. Stores are on pretty limited hours as it is that time of year, if they are even open. You may also be better off staying in the states until Montana or so, and then popping up in Alberta. I've done both and I swore at the time that driving through Canada all the way to the U.P. Of Michigan took MUCH longer than dropping down and driving through the states, but that could all be in my head.

Now thats worth taking into consideration. I wondered that myself if id be better off staying south of border longer then go up. Ill research this some more. When you say the days are short? I googled seems sunrise is around 8am sunset is around 7pm? Similiar sunlight one of our winter days down here. If thats the case counting twilight maybe a solid 12 hours of driving a day shouldnt set me back to far i suppose. Give us time to relax more no doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
I would not recommend driving throughout the night if I were you. Wildlife can appear in the roadway that are much bigger than deer. The days are pretty short that time of year as it is and a minor problem at noon could be a much bigger problem at 1am. Stores are on pretty limited hours as it is that time of year, if they are even open. You may also be better off staying in the states until Montana or so, and then popping up in Alberta. I've done both and I swore at the time that driving through Canada all the way to the U.P. Of Michigan took MUCH longer than dropping down and driving through the states, but that could all be in my head.
OP works swing shift in a refinery... I'm thinking he's driving at night, end of discussion. Maybe he can go Full Fairbanks and get moose lights on his rig before he comes up. Although they might be illegal in Illinois. ?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
I would prefer if all tow truck drivers started using the term "extraction service" instead of ditch removal fee. It makes me feel like I am getting less ripped off that way. An extraction service almost sounds pleasant .

Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
OP works swing shift in a refinery... I'm thinking he's driving at night, end of discussion. Maybe he can go Full Fairbanks and get moose lights on his rig before he comes up. Although they might be illegal in Illinois. ?
I would prefer to drive at night but wont be one to turn down good advice especially if it saves a moose from being smashed in my truck. Lightbars are not illegal in illinois as long as you dont use them on normal roads. Both my grizzly and rzr have lightbars and the are nice no doubt

Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I would prefer if all tow truck drivers started using the term "extraction service" instead of ditch removal fee. It makes me feel like I am getting less ripped off that way. An extraction service almost sounds pleasant .
"Extraction service" sounds like something super high-tech and fancy and not at all like someone rigging and yanking your pickup out of a ditch.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Well I'm not a night person so I had to give the cautionary warning.... Not that it can't be and isn't done, but it certainly is safer to drive only during the day on the Highway. Plus there's no reason to rush it, driving up is half the fun.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugel View Post
I would prefer to drive at night but wont be one to turn down good advice especially if it saves a moose from being smashed in my truck. Lightbars are not illegal in illinois as long as you dont use them on normal roads. Both my grizzly and rzr have lightbars and the are nice no doubt
The first sentence above says a lot.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Well I'm not a night person so I had to give the cautionary warning.... Not that it can't be and isn't done, but it certainly is safer to drive only during the day on the Highway. Plus there's no reason to rush it, driving up is half the fun.
Yeah, I hear ya. I drove at night, but I had to. And I got lucky.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
I'm a night owl. Before my current profession, I loved working swing or graveyard shifts. Loved it. Loved driving at night. Until I moved to Alaska. I'll drive a few hours after dark, but there is no way I'd do a non stop driving trip up the routes to AK.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:24 AM

Well it sounds like ill have to make a few more pit stops, or just cruise along at 30mph and call it good. It will probably a judgement call between road conditions and weather. If the roads are clear obviously id be more incline to do it. But if they are heavily snowcovered not worth it. I have over 3 weeks off work, ill get there when i get there. Just excited to go, im very much a night owl myself. Ive worked nightshift since i was 18 up until i started swingshift here at the refinery couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska