Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:50 PM

911 posts, read 2,159,010 times

Advertisements

Forgive my nativity, but I am very curious about you Alaskans...

Do you guys feel somewhat disassociated or disconnected from the issues, politics, and/or culture of the rest of the US?

What do y'all identify as? Pacific north westerners?

Do Alaskans make trips to Canada or Russia very often?

What foods would you consider to be 'Alaskan fare'?

Do the young people stick around, or do they tend to move away?

What sports teams are the favorites up there? Or is it basically just college?

How miserable really are the winters, compared to Northern WI, MI, or NY?

Do y'all love it there, or do you feel stuck?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
To learn more about Alaskan culinary traditions both new and old, go here:

What do we Mean by Alaska Food Culture? | Edible Alaska

As for the rest, you'll get a different answer from every person you ask. Alaskans don't tend to think as a group. One person might feel stuck here while the other never wants to leave. Popping over to Russia isn't a thing here, though, and most of Alaska is located pretty far from the Canadian border.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:09 PM

684 posts, read 715,430 times
Do they tech Russian in Alaska's schools?

before I start to make fun of things, I also came here to find out more about Alaska, The plain ticket to Alaska is more expensive then a whole Europe vacation. So I would say that Alaska is pretty isolated.

I would definitely want to visit.

Are there active forums or threads where Alaskans are talking about daily life ? What does an average Alaskan look like ? How dressed, drives what car, what kind of pronunciation ?

Do most Alaskans have electricity ? Or generate their own? What about internet? Cell phone coverage ? What are most common professions ? Do you guys live off the land more then our supermarket culture ?

hmm... Spend a season in Alaska... Find a temp job in Alaska... hmm...

Old 06-04-2016, 06:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
We pretty much all live off the land here. It's pretty easy to do so since everything grows so well due to the long hours of daylight. Wild fish and game is everywhere, and most of us have goats or cows in our backyards for our dairy needs. I even know someone who grows tilapia and salmon in a large indoor aquarium. We trap wolves and make our own clothing out of the hides.

I have electricity at my house, but only because I operate my own small power plant in the back yard. Most Alaskans do not have electricity, indoor plumbing, or internet.

Do they tech English in NYC schools?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-04-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 06:41 PM

684 posts, read 715,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We pretty much all live off the land here. It's pretty easy to do so since everything grows so well due to the long hours of daylight. Wild fish and game is everywhere, and most of us have goats or cows in our backyards for our dairy needs. I even know someone who grows tilapia and salmon in a large indoor aquarium.

I have electricity at my house, but only because I operate my own small power plant in the back yard. Most Alaskans do not have electricity, indoor plumbing, or internet.

Do they tech English in NYC schools?
I did my Undergrad in Russia, graduate degree in NJ, so I know people from Siberia, and allot of it off the land living to date. Remote place do not have good roads. The climate destroys paved roads quickly and given small population pier square mile, running internet and power cables across miles of tundra for a really remote small village is not all that cost effective.

so basically I am not sure if you are being ironical or not... But I have to consider the possibility that my degrees would make me the most useless person in Alaska.

I would expect Russia to annex Alaska the first chance they get and our top presidential candidates are Hillary v Trump.... So that Russian joke really has only a part that is a joke...

in parts of Siberia, in the summer, the ground is still frozen....

how do you commute to work/school in winter ?

do you have snow days ?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,879,849 times
I commute to work by y a k.

edited to add: why does city-data censor the word y a k? So weird.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:49 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,113,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I commute to work by y a k.

edited to add: why does city-data censor the word y a k? So weird.
That is so ironical.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
Do they tech Russian in Alaska's schools?

before I start to make fun of things, I also came here to find out more about Alaska, The plain ticket to Alaska is more expensive then a whole Europe vacation. So I would say that Alaska is pretty isolated.

I would definitely want to visit.

Are there active forums or threads where Alaskans are talking about daily life ? What does an average Alaskan look like ? How dressed, drives what car, what kind of pronunciation ?

Do most Alaskans have electricity ? Or generate their own? What about internet? Cell phone coverage ? What are most common professions ? Do you guys live off the land more then our supermarket culture ?

hmm... Spend a season in Alaska... Find a temp job in Alaska... hmm...
Someone please tell me this is a joke.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,192,840 times
This is a joke, please ignore it.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
This is a joke, please ignore it.
I am so ignoring you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska