Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,181,095 times

Advertisements

Amy of you guys smoke or dry your own fish? I decided we are going to build a small smoke/dry house for fish. I plan on using four pallets for my base, maybe 6 and build 6-8 feet high. Something simple. Something kind of inexpensive. I live downtown do it can't be to big and it has to be moveable (hence the pallet option).

Anyone else done this? What did you use for brine? I'm still learning so I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:58 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,866,139 times
Make it look like this:

That's what I do.

I don't know a damn thing about home smokehouses; I have large commercial smokers.

We've been told many times that we produce some of the best smoked salmon in the world, and the family's been at it for three generations now. So here's my five cents:

Always start with the best possible fish. Take care of it from the moment it's caught -- get those gills out ASAP. Keep it cold. Don't expect the smoking process to make a spawned out old river fish that's been sitting in the sun taste good. If you wouldn't put it on your dinner table, don't put it in the smoker.

I can't give you my brine recipe, but don't fancy up your brine too much. Everyone has different tastes, but the more ingredients you put in, the more they conflict with the taste of the salmon. The taste of the salmon should be the star of the show. I will say that we do a dry brine. You can do different brines for different flavor profiles, and you can also add seasoning after you've brined (I sometimes sprinkle a bit of garlic powder and cracked black pepper over it before it goes in the smoker).

Hawaiian strips are good. Always make your own teriyaki sauce instead of buying that garbage from the store.

Sometimes using a bit of blackberry or blueberry juice in the brine is good.

Learn what pellicle means.

Remember that dried and smoked aren't exactly the same thing. Dried salmon is basically jerky, and it can be smoked or not. The best smoked salmon isn't smoked till its all dried up. ETA that seems really elementary, and on reflection, I'm sure it's something you already know. You'd be surprised at how many people think that all smoked salmon is dried, though.

We sometimes do something called "half smoked" when the product is going to be used in a rich dish like fettuccine to lighten up the flavor profile.

I'm sure there are people here who know a lot more than I about building a home smoker. Rance would be a good one to ask about that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-29-2016 at 01:40 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 01:00 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,119,503 times
Met, your FB pics always make me drool.

Hj, you should see what you might be able to bribe Met with to get her to share her secrets with you.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Make it look like this:

Or this:

That's what I do.

I don't know a damn thing about home smokehouses; I have large commercial smokers.
Yeah. So freaking perfect looking. I have a small smoker but I'm wanting to do a lot more than I can with it. A commercial smoker. That's what I need. Lol. Now to convince the wife.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:12 AM

I'm seriously drooling.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:28 AM

LOL people have tried bribes to no avail.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Yeah. So freaking perfect looking. I have a small smoker but I'm wanting to do a lot more than I can with it. A commercial smoker. That's what I need. Lol. Now to convince the wife.
I added some more to my post about brines and so on. Some things are the same whether you're using a small home smoker or a large commercial one. The actual smoking process is just part of it.

I know a guy who uses a home smoker who makes the most gorgeous sockeye strips I've ever seen. He braids them and cuts designs in them, and they're the color of rubies. Stunning. Don't think you can't make excellent smoked salmon with just a home smoker.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 AM

I'm wanting to try my hand at three day smoke. Or do some half dry as well as some Yukon style dry strips. I want to do a lot. Lol.

I got the brine figured out I think. Simple. Nothing to it really.

I've used my dehydrator in the past with some Yukon chum, but I want to go a little more traditional with these reds.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,283,510 times
Granny smokes crawdads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFK9TO1v8H0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska