Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is KT, I'm 19 and I am heavily deciding on moving to Anchorage by myself after I complete my schooling and become an RN. I have never really experienced a cold winter (it only maybe gets down to the mid 40s during winter in FL), and I visited PA a few times and only briefly experienced a small snow fall. Also, I'm from Daytona Beach, Florida.

I have done a lot of research on Alaska, and I think I would really enjoy living there. I'm also very much an outdoorsy type of person!!

However, since I would be coming from Florida, which is a complete 180 degree flip, what should I keep in mind?

I already plan on getting a new car (a truck actually - something from the Ford F series?) because my current one not only won't be able to make the 4000 mile drive (it's a 2009 chevy aveo LT, aka a really dinky tin can for a car with small tires), but it's also sort of beat up.

This move won't be for another year and half or two years down the road though. But I was just looking for some advice on what to expect! I heard the winters aren't AS cold as it possibly could be in Anchorage because it's next to the ocean. Like, it's much colder in Fairbanks I guess. Either way, no doubt I'll freeze my ass off my first winter there seeing as though I'm very much a florida baby, born and raised.

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Make sure you get a 4 wheel drive truck!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Get a job!

Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Get a job before you move up!
I fixed it for you

Old 07-07-2016, 02:08 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Two words. Road Trip.

Two more words. In January.

Two final words. Report Back.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Right after graduation is a perfect time for an adventure.

My best advice is, line up a job before you get here - nursing is one of a handful of fields where it's realistic to secure employment from out-of-state before arriving. Alaska's a sucky place to get stranded without work. Don't bring a bunch of stuff - it costs a ton to drag it up here, and if you decide you're not staying long-term, you have to drag it all back with you.

Anchorage is a pretty mundane American city, so if you do move to Anc, make sure you get out of town and enjoy what Alaska actually has to offer, both winter and summer.

People always recommend scouting trips ahead of time - that's important if you're making a big decision like bringing dependents here, or purchasing property. If you're just bringing yourself and renting a place, and you have some intestinal fortitude, it's not really necessary IMO. Eight skajillion people live fine in Anchorage; I'm sure you can survive for a year or whatever even if it turns out you hate winters or are allergic to moose or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Make sure you get a 4 wheel drive truck!
Eh. AWD and FWD both work fine for winter driving unless you live, like, up a hill on a decrepit dirt road that doesn't get plowed.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Just come on up and look around. If you are an RN you won't have a problem finding a job once you are here. My daughter just graduated last year and hasn't had any problem finding employment.

Basically tell yourself that you will stick it out for a full year no matter what. Then after a year decide if you like it.

Not a lot to prepare for. You are right, it's completely different. But you can get everything you need once you are here.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 AM

92 posts, read 94,654 times
I moved from So Fla back in the late 70's. I have never owed a 4x4 or a truck for that matter.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
I have a house in Florida, summer in AK and travel the nation the rest of the year. I was born and raised in Alaska, moved when I was in early 20's and have lived in a couple of sun belt states. Family items have caused me to move up a couple times over this span for 4 - 5 years at a time. The cold is not the issue here in AK during the winter. It is the lack of daylight and how long the winters are. This really impacted my wife and I when we moved back up for that 4 - 5 year period. We both experienced SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and had to buy Happy Lights (UV Lights). Vitamin D deficiency is real in AK during the winter and can have a real impact. Be prepared.

Now.... the summers. Well, the summers are the best summers around. Make friends that have land, cabins, toys and love to go camping. Alaska is a lot of fun both in the summer and winter. But it is a lot more fun if you have or know people who have toys to play with on the weekends. There's simply no other place like AK.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I unfortunately am originally from Florida. I do fine with any temperature and climate as long as the sky is clear of clouds a majority of the time. Cloudy, rainy drizzle makes me lethargic and cranky. So while it's warmer along the coast and Anchorage, my body actually prefers the colder, drier and some what sunnier climate in the interior. Although it's been fairly rainy here lately, at least there is no nearby forest fires.

As much as I dislike consistent rain, I'd still live on the rainiest, greyest little island in Alaska before I ever moved back to the overpopulated cesspool wasteland that is Florida.

Nursing is a great way to come up here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska