Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:16 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Well stated.

I've lived here for well over a decade and I have to say you absolutely hit the nail on the head.

I have observed the same consistent cluelessness in "born and bred" Alaskans.

They accept mediocre, substandard, or non-existent infrastructure because they never lived anywhere else so they have no concept of acceptable expectations of civilization in modern cities and states.

For example, why does the main island of Oahu (in the state of Hawaii) have an interstate highway system but the state of Alaska does not?

Or, why doesn't Alaska have it's own medical school, dental school, or law school?

Or, why, in 2016, is there still only one road connecting Anchorage and The Valley and no road connecting Juneau to the rest of the state?

I understand the current budget woes but these are just a few items that should have be funded and built decades ago when the state was flush with money.
Alaska doesn't need a medical, dental or law school. Those things just suck cash. There are already plenty of those schools in Washington State and the lower 48.

Why does there need to be more then one road from Anchorage to the valley? Or Juneau? Just something else to spend money on.

If folks think they need more government funded amenities then they should move to those places. Not everyone in America believes in more and bigger government.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:43 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Fail. Many of these criminal types work in the tourism industry. Can't say the same for rapists. Other countries have actually issued travel warnings concerning Florida because of the large criminal element in your state. You really should stop trying to be someone at my expense.

That's just one example. ^^^

Hopefully, it won't be much longer before the entire mess sinks into the ocean.
Do you also live in a bomb shelter because you fear Russia? LOL

Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Nah, I just don't see the point in wasting money on budget vacations in infamous tourist traps. You've touted Florida as being much cheaper than Alaska as if that's supposed to be a positive. LOL. I'm glad that Alaska isn't overrun by bargain hunters.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:06 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nah, I just don't see the point in wasting money on budget vacations in infamous tourist traps. You've touted Florida as being much cheaper than Alaska as if that's supposed to be a positive. LOL. I'm glad that Alaska isn't overrun by bargain hunters.
You don't seem to understand lol. It has to do with availability because the vast majority of tourist only visit Alaska for a few months out of the year it isn't profitable for many types of companies that cater to tourists therefore a crappy restaurant can charge $30 for a meal and still get people to dine there. It's not because the food is so good restaurants in Alaska can charge more. There just isn't much competition and quantity and you are proving my point that many Alaskans just aren't well traveled. You probably think Mooses Tooth is amazing pizza when in reality it would be a low ranking pizza joint in many places in America.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Never been to Moose's Tooth. Pizza doesn't interest me; my idea of a good restaurant is The French Laundry.

Sigh. No one claimed Alaska has a superior culinary scene, but if the cost of pizza and beer at the Moose's Tooth is enough to keep tourists away, they're better off in Florida anyway. Alaska isn't some cheap tourist trap.

I guess it's too hard for you to understand that people who visit Alaska aren't really the type to be tempted by Disney World and other gaudy, overcrowded hellscapes. It's doubtful that anyone ever canceled a visit to Alaska because of pizza prices.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-24-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Thanks, OP. You have confirmed my suspicions.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Everyone I met when in Alaska had moved from out of state after vacationing there decades prior and still loved it. There weren't a ton of jobs, but people were so nice..
Despite some deficiencies, it's a great place for the right people.

Of course, those who don't like it or can't hack it usually leave.

What about the OP? Despite making a lot of money here, he says:

"So I say with certainty, and with solemnness, that Alaska, despite its big beauty, is a vast ****hole, the worst in the union."

Well, his user name should be INGRATE, and he should look for a more suitable place for his tastes.

Like Florida, for instance.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
But I wanna!!

Just kidding, I don't. Alaska is the most beautiful state in the Union, IMO, but Alaska is definitely not for me. I like the isolation as a borderline hermit but I do think Alaska is a bit too extreme for me. I'd consider living in the SE portion near Ketchikan or something, I loved Ketchikan when I went there but then I found out it got over 150 inches of rainfall a year That's just too much rain, lol.

I think for most people they take a vacation to Alaska and see it's infinite beauty and the seemingly "simple" lifestyles and want that for themselves. But anyone should know a vacation is NOTHING like living there, and that goes for anywhere in the world.

Many people move to Arizona for the lack of winters and then experience a summer here and like complete wussies they head out. Do you really think you can get no snow AND a good summer AND cheap COL at the same time?? What a pipe dream. I think Alaska would be similar in this regard, except it's probably the winters that force people out instead. Or that it costs like $10 for a PB jar. Not entirely sure.

Also bears are pretty terrifying.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
For sure. What infrastructure and public services do you see lacking in Alaska?
Internet in Alaska is god-awful. Understandable in places in the bush and the towns not connected to the road network. Ridiculous that people in the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas still pay for capped usage.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:21 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,381,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamo View Post
Most individuals in the Lower 48 DO NOT CARE enough to retain basic info about Alaska, regardless of the ability to Google anything and anyone these days. When national news outlets routinely place Alaska as an inset to the left of California on political maps, many in the Lower 48 are still truly surprised that one would have to drive into Canada to reach the state via vehicle. Not a joke.

When you initially asked me a question regarding what is lacking, I answered with facts, not an emotional plea to get better road systems so we can overrun the remote areas with outsiders. I also do not write for the approval of regulars who talk to each other here for years. I write for the person at home who will not even sign in to post a question but is simply searching for current info. None of these people care about the constant circle jerks that go on in popular forums. The bottom line is Alaska is not the place to be right now, unless one has several years to commit to waiting out the downturn and stabilization process.
Those maps also dramatically distort Alaska's size. When I tell people that if you were to chop the United into five equal parts Alaska would be one of them the msjority are astonished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska