Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:18 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I still think he owns a Pitts!
lol. It's Pitts Jr.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 40,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, even if it were economically feasible to build roads to the majority of the communities serviced by the AMH, there's a little something called the Pacific Ocean that stands in the way. That's why there will never be roads to certain remote communities. From your posts, I'm not sure you're aware that for the most part, these communities are separated by water.
Gosh, the condescension just drips off the page, but I’m supposed to worry about the impression I make, on an anonymous forum? Yes, I was not aware that the Alaska Marine Highway traversed waterways. For many years, I assumed that ferries made frequent pickups at the bus stop with curbside service to the door when you call ahead. (Sarcasm.)

If water was the only reason, Staten Island could never ever connect to Brooklyn due to a little thing called the Narrows.

Mountains interfere, weather interferes, and a lack of population makes it economically unfeasible to build billion dollar bridges and roads connecting widely dispersed yet sparsely populated communities. Look on a terrain map. Obstacles between the communities do not include the Pacific Ocean, unless one is hoping to give the impression to Lower 48 individuals that dozens of villages are sitting out in the middle of the Pacific, while the Gulf of Alaska, Bristol Bay and Cook Inlet do not exist.

Also, you seriously think I am trying to reach urban-dwelling morons who are suddenly inspired to live off the grid in remote and rural areas? I'm trying to give a reality check for those who are interested in relocating to Alaska in general, first stop Anchorage. It's not the time to take the leap.

By the way, Anchorage, for various reasons, is currently and actively trying to attract millennials from the Lower 48, making it "the best city in the nation to live." How many even know about this campaign? But please ask any "gentrified" area in the U.S. what happens when hipsters move in. They demand change and then they move on to surrounding areas.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Quote:
By the way, Anchorage, for various reasons, is currently and actively trying to attract millennials from the Lower 48, making it "the best city in the nation to live." How many even know about this campaign? But please ask any "gentrified" area in the U.S. what happens when hipsters move in. They demand change and then they move on to surrounding areas.
I think you're talking about the Anchorage Economic Development Corporation's initiative. I know what you're saying, that when faux folks move in, the flavor changes. I'm originally from Tennessee - I've seen it first hand in Nashville (which is one of the grossest cities around now). Anchorage and Alaska in general has a lot of capacity to absorb these folks, from that perspective, without changing its feel or culture. (Perhaps not from an employment base perspective.) I applaud AEDC's initiatives because they're generally focused on entrepreneurial events and people -- with the realization in hand that Alaska will never be the place that attracts thousands of back office jobs (HR, accounting, etc.) for multinational firms. What Alaska could use a lot more of are folks who are willing to look at issues (like the fact that our state runs 90%+ of its operations on an outdated and dying industry) and come up with sustainable solutions, as well as folks to support those entrepreneurs in funding, media, and politics.

Also, looks like you'e conflated millennials and hipsters. Not really the same thing. I'm 28 years old, but about as far from a hipster as you'd be able to find. At least, that's my own estimation. Anchorage might be 'urban,' but it's still gritty enough to, for the most part, chew up and spit out those uber-hipster folks. Or at the very least, it puts Xtra Tuffs on them, and shoves them into Kachemak Bay.

The reality is, Alaska has never been the place for ordinary people to 'take the leap.' It has always been the place for outsiders, fringe dwellers, entrepreneurs, and those who have the skill to take the resources available to them, and craft a living for them and their families. That's part of what makes Alaska... Alaska. Probably a good idea to inject a sense of reality into starry eyed folks who want to move here with a degree in marketing, live in a downtown flat and expect to be able to afford to buy a boat, floatplane and do monthly mega adventures. But, Alaska handles that on its own fairly well, too.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I thought it might be Pitts ^^^, but even though this guy doesn't have the best grasp of the English language, Pitts was worse.

Pitts had more charm, though. I wonder what happened to that asshat.

Quote:
Obstacles between the communities do not include the Pacific Ocean,
The Inside Passage is part of the Pacific Ocean; so are the waterways you mentioned.

Quote:
Mountains interfere, weather interferes, and a lack of population makes it economically unfeasible to build billion dollar bridges and roads connecting widely dispersed yet sparsely populated communities.
Those things are all pretty much rendered moot by the water.

What the Staten Island bridge has to do with this is beyond me. Isn't it only a little over a mile long? The shortest distance between any of the areas served by the AMH is 22 miles, and most are hundreds of miles apart.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
I do miss Pitts. He was an asshat, but he was OUR asshat.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:24 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Why are there so many darn reality shows about Alaska ?
It's like dozens of them. Each has a particular niche.

I thought it was interesting for a while, but now it seems
exploitative and just plain strange.

Definitely they deserve a large part of the blame for
luring in escapist dreamers with no experience.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
I would like to blame the reality tv, because it is awful, but the truth is this has been happening since the gold rush.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I've really enjoyed stumbling across this thread.

You guys should come visit the AZ forum. We really know how to do this right!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...not-think.html

But what about all the criminals they show on Alaska Storm Troopers? I'd be afraid to go hunting that some badge heavy game warden would jump out 200 miles from nowhere to arrest me for catching a fish one inch too short. From what I can see the whole state is filled with drunken gun toting criminals living in white trash houses. Except for the ones on the fake Bush people tv show who apparently can't afford gore-tex in the rain and are such lousy seamen they leave their fenders down on a voyage.

But then there's all these people getting rich catching the crabs or just picking up gold off the ground, or the ocean, which is apparently littered with it. Makes me want to come exploit it too.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Why are there so many darn reality shows about Alaska ?
It's like dozens of them. Each has a particular niche.

I thought it was interesting for a while, but now it seems
exploitative and just plain strange.

Definitely they deserve a large part of the blame for
luring in escapist dreamers with no experience.
The shows are a direct result of a pathetic state program offering seriously huge tax credits for the things.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I do miss Pitts. He was an asshat, but he was OUR asshat.
I do too. This new asshat doesn't measure up at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska