Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
But I wanna!!

I think for most people they take a vacation to Alaska and see it's infinite beauty and the seemingly "simple" lifestyles and want that for themselves. But anyone should know a vacation is NOTHING like living there, and that goes for anywhere in the world.
Yeah, or they see a show, or otherwise get an impression of a place that doesn't really exist. But to be fair, most people relocate to Alaska for a job or for the military.

Quote:
Also, you seriously think I am trying to reach urban-dwelling morons who are suddenly inspired to live off the grid in remote and rural areas? I'm trying to give a reality check for those who are interested in relocating to Alaska in general, first stop Anchorage. It's not the time to take the leap.

By the way, Anchorage, for various reasons, is currently and actively trying to attract millennials from the Lower 48, making it "the best city in the nation to live." How many even know about this campaign? But please ask any "gentrified" area in the U.S. what happens when hipsters move in. They demand change and then they move on to surrounding areas.
So the OP is concerned that hipsters are going to invade Anchorage, proceed to gentrify it, and then ooze on out to surrounding areas, bringing skinny jeans, flannels, beanies, and other hipster stuff in their wake. Hipsters will seep their way down to SE and become horrified at the lack of bridges between places like Haines and Sitka.

I read the Anchorage Economic Development Corporation's initiative and didn't find it particularly alarming.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nah, I just don't see the point in wasting money on budget vacations in infamous tourist traps. You've touted Florida as being much cheaper than Alaska as if that's supposed to be a positive. LOL. I'm glad that Alaska isn't overrun by bargain hunters.
Your logic is very confusing lol, so automatically anything more expensive means it's better? Not the quality, but just the price? I have some amazing snake oil to sell you for $1,000 oz... it's more expensive, therefore it's better. Send me your email, so I can give you my paypal info. Virtually the entire world is cheaper for tourists than Alaska and offer higher quality amenities and accommodations. That's why there are so many places that receive more tourists. A restaurant that serves McDonald quality food, but with $500 per burger, doesn't make it better lol. There is a reason why that restaurant isn't packed.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 PM

Another complete fail on your part, Florida. Your reading comprehension skills definitely need improvement.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Another complete fail on your part, Florida. Your reading comprehension skills definitely need improvement.

Insert any city, you are stuck on Florida... even though it offers more for tourists and is quite diverse in its offerings, but you obvsiously are one of the not-so-traveled people I'm talking about lol.

Let's say... Hong Kong or Barcelona or Singapore or Paris

Oh right, it doesn't matter because $150 will get you a dumpy hotel in Alaska, that means Alaska is better for tourists.

You want to continue proving my only complaint about some of the people in Alaska being ignorant about the world true?

Old 07-24-2016, 10:20 PM

The only thing being proven here is that you value cheap travel. People don't come to Alaska to hang out in hotels, and I don't think Alaska wants or needs Orlando-style crowds or significant amounts of budget travelers. People visit Alaska for entirely different reasons. Guess that concept's too difficult for you.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The only thing being proven here is that you value cheap travel. People don't come to Alaska to hang out in hotels, and I don't think Alaska wants or needs Orlando-style crowds or significant amounts of budget travelers. People visit Alaska for entirely different reasons. Guess that concept's too difficult for you.
You seem to be ignoring my posts...

Alaska is better designed for locals than tourists. Alaska doesn't have many beautiful quaint towns to stroll down and look at unique local owner-operated shops. If you want to rent a car it will cost you an arm and a leg. You can easily pay over $200 for a Best Western. You can easily pay $25 for a frozen fillet of fish.

However, as a local, you can buy a fishing license that lasts a year and catch your own fish and have a nice bbq at home. As a tourist, you can spend an arm and a leg to hire a boat captain to drive you around to catch a fish that you can then freeze to take home with you.

As someone who has traveled A LOT, Alaska is a RIP-OFF for tourists unless you are a very adventurous person that wants to climb Denali or go off the grid for awhile. It isn't about bargain hunters, even in Orlando the average family spends thousands because of various theme parks etc. However, there isn't much difference in the quality of the experience for a local or tourist in say a city like Orlando. Where as there is a massive difference not just in money, but quality in Alaska between a local and a tourist.

However, you probably think going to California is a scary cultural experience that you will try to attempt once in your life LOL. Geez, you are proving my point and I mentioned before Alaskans in general are quite friendly, but my one con I would say is I came across people like you who are just so ignorant about the world. Heck, not even the world, but even within our own country! lol

Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 PM

Again, people don't come to Alaska for quaint towns (although Alaska certainly has a few of them, so you're the one who's sounding ignorant here). People don't come here for theme parks or cheap hotels and hamburgers.

I spend plenty of time in California, btw - another fail on your part. I'm rather partial to the Napa area as well the Lost Coast. You're attempts at insults are tedious and say much more about you than they do about me, btw. LOL. I'm not even an Alaska resident. Take your tiresome braying somewhere else.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-24-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Again, people don't come to Alaska for quaint towns (although Alaska certainly has a few of them, so you're the one who's sounding ignorant here). People don't come here for theme parks or cheap hotels and hamburgers.

I spend plenty of time in California, btw - another fail on your part. I'm rather partial to the Napa area as well the Lost Coast. You're attempts at insults are tedious and say much more about you than they do about me, btw. LOL. I'm not even an Alaska resident. Take your tiresome braying somewhere else.
Ugh you won't ever understand lol. Good luck with that

Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 PM

63 posts, read 68,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Ugh you won't ever understand lol. Good luck with that
Forgive me, I'm new here. bmw, it sounds like you used to live in Alaska, but have recently moved to florida? I have only been in Alaska a week, but I have just moved here. I have been to florida many times, though. I think both you and metlaka (wrong spelling I know) are arguing different points.

The areas in FL where cost of living is cheap (ie. most of jacksonville, western florida, bad suburbs of miami) are ****ty places to live. Again, this is simple economics. Boca raton and nice areas on Miami beach are quite nice though.

After living in Hawaii for the last 5 years, I cannot do Atlanta or Miami summers. Just torture. Just moved to AK for work (and hopefully play), so yet to see if the AK winter is as bad as the FL summer. I think what the other guy was saying is people come to AK for very SPECIFIC reasons, wheareas a lot of people live and vacation in Florida because its quite cheap.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
I think what the other guy was saying is people come to AK for very SPECIFIC reasons, wheareas a lot of people live and vacation in Florida because its quite cheap.
Pretty much so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska