Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Youcan't cure ignorance, I would say that would be my biggest complaint about the people in Alaska is that they aren'tvery well traveled generally speaking or open to other cultures. .
Per Capita, Alaskans are in the top 10 of states for hotel bookings elsewhere in the country, and they're in the top 5 for holding passports.

As for openness to other cultures, that's apparently a personal opinion based on anecdotal evidence.

Compared with other states, it's probably not true either.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamo View Post
.. The next two years will be especially difficult for the state. It is ill advised to pick up stakes and come to town just to see what happens..
For sure. What infrastructure and public services do you see lacking in Alaska?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yet millions of tourists & snowbirds come down to this "sinkhole" every winter to soak up the sun while the rest of the country freezes.
These are the same kinda folks that get upset if the Chinese buffet cuts them off. Cause they've been there for 3 hours. Or demands the Senior Citizens discount. I've visited your sinkhole once and see know reason to go back for a second time. Too many people, too crowded and too much traffic. And I enjoy having skin that doesn't look like a dried up prune.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 AM

63 posts, read 68,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamo View Post
This is my first post on citydata, though I have been reading various forums for several years. It’s going to be highly negative to counter any cheerleading that gives newcomers a false impression. Sure, there are those who had great transitions, but it's not the norm so don't ever assume it will be. Don't assume anything even based on intensive research. Live it yourself. Having midnight sun for months straight WILL make some feel insane, it is not a joke.

Ask yourself, what is that draws you here? Then ask yourself, is that reality, or just a means to escape?

Alaska is an experience, and a wonderful state to visit, most definitely, but it has little infrastructure in comparison to other states. It is not a place to just relocate because it "seems" like fun. Alaska also has a strong sense of self, having been ignored and misunderstood by the Lower 48, while it also has a literal disconnect – this means the state does not compete and is not compelled to compete with the Lower 48 in terms of success, achievement, and quality of life. It can't. If you are the type to demand change, it won't be coming with you. Accept it.

So I say with certainty, and with solemnness, that Alaska, despite its big beauty, is a vast ****hole, the worst in the union. DO NOT MOVE HERE for some sense of adventure that may be depicted on a garbage reality show. With unrealized potential, an inferiority complex, yet a lackadaisical, unprofessional attitude across the board, Alaska is going nowhere. It will never reach its potential. It certainly won’t be coming to a bi-partisian agreement any time soon on what to do with its wealth, which is both a blessing and a curse. The state can ride out any economic downturn, yet each side fights over the profits and residents bear the brunt.

The university system is under stress. Citizens are hostile and paranoid in everyday situations. Homelessness and drug addicts are rampant. These things may not bother you, but if you are used to certain standards, then yes, it will, and will wear you down. And no, it's not comparable to every other state or city. Anchorage, for example, has to be the ugliest city in the U.S. with architecture from 1964, a lack of vision, cohesion and character. Fairbanks is a complete dump. Both are run like backwaters, despite their population sizes.

Perhaps there is something for you, but for many, it does not exist and they find out too late. I've seen it, having been here for two decades and watching many come and go, burned out in the process. Knowing everyone there is to know in the state, from business to government and academia, I can also say the state does not purposely attract talent, although some manage to make their way here. These bright spots are not enough to take the Last Frontier to the next level, unfortunately.
There is a name for this bias. Most people who love Alaska, and are out socializing, skiing, traveling, fishing, and spending time with their family are less likely to come on an online forum and talk about it. Whereas, those like yourself are.

I have spent the last 5 years in Hawaii, and they were the best of my life. I intend on making the next few in Alaska memorable and great. I've only been here less than a week and I like it. The locals say the food sucks in Fairbanks? I've found a couple great places already. I think people don't even bother to explore. Like someone else said, its all attitude.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM

63 posts, read 68,730 times
Quote:
Yet millions of tourists & snowbirds come down to this "sinkhole" every winter to soak up the sun while the rest of the country freezes.
"Florida" is a huge place. There are crudholes and nice places throughout the state. But, simple economics and supply and demand don't lie. Florida has some of the cheapest housing in the US in a lot of its submarkets; probably for a reason.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,697 times
Everyone I met when in Alaska had moved from out of state after vacationing there decades prior and still loved it. There weren't a ton of jobs, but people were so nice. I will say even in Fairbanks the options for food kind of sucked. You had one option for a few things and if they sucked, as many did, you were out of luck.

Will say, as much as I liked my visit, I don't think I would ever live there as there are not a ton of high paying jobs in my industry there (IT). So yeah, if you're renting or living off the grid, jobs in hospitality and retail are there to support you, but it isn't an economic powerhouse.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Youcan't cure ignorance, I would say that would be my biggest complaint about the people in Alaska is that they aren'tvery well traveled generally speaking or open to other cultures. It's that small town mentality that comes with a lot of stereotypes. When I moved from Alaska to California, there were quite a few people saying, "oh my goodness, I would never go there because the crime is so high, I don't want to be killed by some crazy" and I'm just thinking sigh... like how do you even respond to someone so lost in their own ignorance LOL.
I've probably traveled to and lived in more places than you have.

You're the one who sounds ignorant with your statement that Alaska's economy is currently good and promoting the check as a positive of living here.

And you're the one who pointed out how cheap Florida is compared to Alaska. Not everyone is into budget travel, and people come here for entirely different reasons than Florida, so I'm not sure what the comparison was supposed to prove.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-20-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Frankly I appreciate Alaskamo's posts because people who are considering moving to Alaska might not be aware.
If you'll read the forum, you'll see that Alaskamo's commentary isn't unique. That was my point. We all caution starry eyed dreamers to be realistic about their relocation plans to Alaska.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
There is a name for this bias. Most people who love Alaska, and are out socializing, skiing, traveling, fishing, and spending time with their family are less likely to come on an online forum and talk about it. Whereas, those like yourself are.

A lot of what the guy says is actually spot on. Every now and then, we get people on this forum who just want to "haul ass" (their words, not mine) to Alaska and let the chips fall where they may. Bad idea in the best of times. We've all seen it -- people who can't afford to get back to the -48 at when their plans don't work out. That's one reason some of us won't rent to newcomers -- too great of a risk of getting stuck with a tenant with no job and no money. I think the OP had good intentions and said things that need to be said here now and then, but the preaching tone is off-putting.

I'm usually on the forum bitching about something or other because most of my work involves being on a computer. Before some finger-wagger comes along and starts whining that I'm stealing from my employer by wasting my time online, let me just say that it's my time to waste.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-20-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,173,050 times
Quote:
I personally think Alaska is better for living rather than visiting. As a visitor there aren't many quaint towns or streets to stroll. You are stuck paying for over priced hotels, rental cars, fishing tours etc. However, as a resident none of this applies. You can ride your ATV, snow machine, boat and go fishing with a pretty cheap annual fishing license.
ATV-$10k
Snowmachine-$14k
Boat-$30k

Honestly those price tags would pay for a bunch of vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska