Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,110,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamo View Post
Sure, I signed up to just "bash" Alaska. Actually, I've been on citydata reading for years, signed up in early 2015, but have not felt the need to post until now. And I'm interested in reaching those wishing to relocate from the Lower 48, specifically those looking for an "adventure" and a reality that does not exist. Don't want to take it seriously? Then don't. Call me a wah wah troll and throw away your options and your life if you wish. It's your choice!

Alaska does not offer anything in the same manner or fashion as other states, from public services to private businesses. To pretend otherwise is a disservice to newbies. Very simple things that many take for granted in the Lower 48 will not be available, and will not be brought in. That's my original point. There are also vast discrepancies in service between areas of the state itself. If that is what you want, then go for it.

In my opinion, accurate information about Alaska, for those wishing to relocate, does not come from anyone who has grown up and lived here. It is from adults who moved here as adults and have had some semblance of living in populated areas, or with distinct or varied climates, and have made the adjustments. Many do not make it. Some do. Alaska has been excellent for me financially, but absolute disasters for others who come in expecting just another U.S. state and can't adjust to the people, the weather, or the vast vacuum. The "life is what you make it" optimism, while admirable, is not going to cut it in a state with less infrastructure and very little comparison to states that have equally high costs of living. That is the way it is.

Also, Alaska's government revenue is 90 percent based on a falling, volatile commodity. The legislature has done nothing to weed off from this dependency and will most likely never will. The next two years will be especially difficult for the state. It is ill advised to pick up stakes and come to town just to see what happens.

Edited to fix above fact.

Well stated.

I've lived here for well over a decade and I have to say you absolutely hit the nail on the head.

I have observed the same consistent cluelessness in "born and bred" Alaskans.

They accept mediocre, substandard, or non-existent infrastructure because they never lived anywhere else so they have no concept of acceptable expectations of civilization in modern cities and states.

For example, why does the main island of Oahu (in the state of Hawaii) have an interstate highway system but the state of Alaska does not?

Or, why doesn't Alaska have it's own medical school, dental school, or law school?

Or, why, in 2016, is there still only one road connecting Anchorage and The Valley and no road connecting Juneau to the rest of the state?

I understand the current budget woes but these are just a few items that should have be funded and built decades ago when the state was flush with money.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Kind of like how we should have had the bridge to the airport in Ketchikan but the crying and screaming shut that project down after it became a political tool for Palin.

At least we aren't stuck with a bunch of infrastructure that we can't maintain. The proposed route of the road between Skagway and Juneau is on an avalanche corridor, btw. I'm not sure it would get much more than a little tourist traffic during summer.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-22-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 02:15 PM

681 posts, read 1,208,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
For example, why does the main island of Oahu (in the state of Hawaii) have an interstate highway system but the state of Alaska does not?
Well technically, Alaska does have designated interstate highways. The Alaska, Parks, Rich, Steward, Sterling, Glenn & Tok Cut-off are all considered part of the Interstate Highway System by the Federal Highway Administration. I agree on most of the other stuff though.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Or, why, in 2016, is... no road connecting Juneau to the rest of the state?...
Calling people clueless?

Pot, meet kettle.

Mountains, avalanche chutes, glaciers, ocean and no demand, that's why.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
These are the same kinda folks that get upset if the Chinese buffet cuts them off. Cause they've been there for 3 hours. Or demands the Senior Citizens discount. I've visited your sinkhole once and see know reason to go back for a second time. Too many people, too crowded and too much traffic. And I enjoy having skin that doesn't look like a dried up prune.

yikes! Tell us how you REALLY feel!! I enjoyed both Florida and Alaska-to visit. I grew up in WI, then moved to Tulsa, left for Oz in 2013. I learned real fast the difference between even a long visit vs living in a place. Same with OZ- I thought that magically all my issues would vanish upon landing in Brissy. They did not. I'm sure Florida and Alaska are the same way. I must say it's pretty cool though how many folks in the AK forum are truthful about their state-acknowledging good and not so good things. Many other state forums the natives just say "Bye-don't let the door hit ya" or "love it or leave it" very defensive bunch. But not here-props for keeping it honest

Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've probably traveled to and lived in more places than you have.

You're the one who sounds ignorant with your statement that Alaska's economy is currently good and promoting the check as a positive of living here.

And you're the one who pointed out how cheap Florida is compared to Alaska. Not everyone is into budget travel, and people come here for entirely different reasons than Florida, so I'm not sure what the comparison was supposed to prove.
Just curious, mate- where have you called home, and traveled to?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Probably more places than bmw, from what he's said. ^^^ I'm not a globe trotter or anything by any means; my point was simply that most Alaskans are fairly well-traveled and not exactly remaining huddled in our igloos cut off from the outside world while wallowing in ignorance. BMW seems to be posting quite a bit of erroneous information here as well as trying to look down his nose at those who live here, and the know-it-all act is wearing thin.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
A good chunk of my family live there (Alaska) and you think I'm looking down on Alaskans? I travel overseas at least twice a year and I'm not counting Mexico or Canada. However, like many small towns, they tend to not be well traveled and have some ridiculus views of other places such as labeling an entire state as a dirty swamp or whatever you said lol.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,249,189 times
Alaska is pretty bifurcated into people who haven't left their town (seriously, I've met people who've never left Kenai/Soldotna, and they're teenagers), AND people who travel fairly extensively, to the lower 48, all around Alaska, and to a variety of countries all over the world. It's too much of a generalization to say that Alaskans are small town rednecks.

I suppose a road to Juneau matters, but if we're really talking about a transportation network, a road connecting western Alaska to the rest of the state would be much handier than a road to the few, spread out SE communities.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
A good chunk of my family live there (Alaska) and you think I'm looking down on Alaskans? I travel overseas at least twice a year and I'm not counting Mexico or Canada. However, like many small towns, they tend to not be well traveled and have some ridiculus views of other places such as labeling an entire state as a dirty swamp or whatever you said lol.
I'm not labeling Floridians. My brother lives there. He moved down there after graduating from high school 30 years ago. I just didn't like it. Same way I don't like other crowded places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska