Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 PM

18 posts, read 19,028 times

Advertisements

No one cares about vegans in bush Alaska. If there are any vegans in bush Alaska let us know! I'm genuinely curious....

Have a feeling...

There will be crickets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Crickets -- they're what's for dinner:

Cricket Flour & Cricket Flours Products

Quote:
We use crickets raised specifically for
human consumption here in North America
and made by our team in Portland, Oregon.
Check out our full line of products such as
Cricket Instant Oatmeal, Cricket Fuel, Cricket
Flours: 100% Pure, and more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM

CRICKET FLOUR??? Well hell, I may have a brand new recipe for the recipe section. It will involve throwing steaks in insect flour and tossing in grease. Then frying until crisp. A gravy may be involved if there are enough drippings. Cricket fried moose steak. Watch out Alaska.

*watch out vegans

Last edited by ReedAK; 08-06-2016 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot about vegans

Old 08-06-2016, 05:48 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Crickets -- they're what's for dinner:

Cricket Flour & Cricket Flours Products
Crickets aren't vegan.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Crickets aren't vegan.
Wow.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:11 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRose View Post
So, I am new to this forum. But I had a debate today with a vegan who feels that native Alaskan cultures just have not evolved enough to realize that killing animals is wrong. The argument was that we live in modern houses with modern conveniences, therefore we should know better. Which is beyond ridiculous and I want to scream. I am asking an honest question. I don't know how many vegans are on this forum, but I am honestly curious how you can possibly argue that point? Thousands of years of culture, tradition, and love for the land. We waste nothing. There are no factory farms in the bush. We value everything. I would love it if that vegan lived in the bush for a month. Frustrated.
Your wasting your time when it comes to arguing with a Vegan, it's like arguing with a 3yo. There more about impressing themselves and other vegans than anything else, the "cause" is their cover up. Just like PETA, they CLAIM that their all about the animals, and that hunters are the bad guys, but when you remind them that PEOPLE are supposed to be killing them as part of the food chain which doesn't happen enough anymore and that the animals then over populate, get diseased, die wind up in their windshields etc they start to throw out nonsense because you pulled out the rug, then I like to remind them that HUNTERS constantly fund many wildlife sanctuaries and protection programs and how PETA has never actually done ANYTHING other than complain about what OTHERS do.... and then they go into 3yo temper tantrum meltdown. It's fun!

They all get theirs in the end, you ever see all the long term health issues they have from depriving their bodies of what they want? Not pretty. The scrawny, weak, frail sunken eye thing is only the beginning!

Old 08-06-2016, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 68,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Is this scientific enough?

Human Ancestors Were Nearly All Vegetarians - Scientific American Blog Network

With agriculture, several human populations independently evolved gene variants that coded for the persistence of lactase (which breaks down lactose) so as to be able to deal with milk, not just as babies but also as adults.

Some populations of humans in Japan have a kind of bacteria in their guts which appears to have stolen genes for breaking down seaweed, a foodstuff that became popular along with the post-agricultural Japanese diet.

In a 1925 study the size of colons was found to vary from one country to the next with the average Russian apparently having a colon five feet longer than the average Turk.

Our large intestines are shorter than those of living apes relative to the overall size of our gut (more like 25% of the whole, compared to 46% of the whole in chimps)

A vegan diet doesn't suit everyone.

Don't forget that the previous rainforest slash-and-burn was for agriculture.
What you presented is true. Still, not sure from your post if you were neutral, agreeing, or disagreeing with me? In any case, there are no health, environmental, or ethical arguments I can think of, or that I have ever come across in favor of meat. A vegan diet wins every time when you apply logic or science to these three.

I eat meat, but I have my own reasons. Namely, the amount of time it takes to source, prepare, and eat vegan food is roughly 3-5x than of an omnivorous diet (I've tested this in my own life on several occasions). Personally, I have a pretty active social, travel, and business life outside my regular work at the hospital, and there is no way I can be vegan without giving those things up quite a bit. Secondly, people are unfortunately judgmental and again this would limit dating and social aspects, a sacrifice I am not willing to make at this point. Notice that none of my reasons have anything to do with the three categories I mentioned in the paragraph above.

All of the vegans I know haven't eaten a single salad since they turned vegan. The average meat-eating American eats a lot more iceberg lettuce and roma tomatoes than any vegan I've ever met. I think it is prudent for folks to educate themselves on what a vegan diet is -- it is not eating salads. I also don't remember eatin a single salad when I ate vegan. I ate a greater variety of food when vegan than on my regular "balanced" American diet! My own narrow-minded mentality assumed how 'limited' the diet was, but in practice it was quite the opposite.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:37 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post

..All of the vegans I know haven't eaten a single salad since they turned vegan. The average meat-eating American eats a lot more iceberg lettuce and roma tomatoes than any vegan I've ever met.
Then I'm not impressed with their knowledge of nutrition. Dark green, leafy plants are the most nutritious and and beneficial vegetables available to us. Iceberg lettuce? That's a loser.

The Panda bear should be the vegan's hero in the animal world. The latest issue of Nat'l Geographic explains that they still possess the canines and digestive enzymes necessary for eating meat, but they've chosen not to. (For what reason, it is not clear)

Of course, the downside is that they must eat over 20 lbs of bamboo a day to stay healthy.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedAK View Post
Wow.
Wow what?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re3iRtH View Post
What you presented is true. Still, not sure from your post if you were neutral, agreeing, or disagreeing with me? In any case, there are no health, environmental, or ethical arguments I can think of, or that I have ever come across in favor of meat. A vegan diet wins every time when you apply logic or science to these three.

I eat meat, but I have my own reasons. Namely, the amount of time it takes to source, prepare, and eat vegan food is roughly 3-5x than of an omnivorous diet (I've tested this in my own life on several occasions). Personally, I have a pretty active social, travel, and business life outside my regular work at the hospital, and there is no way I can be vegan without giving those things up quite a bit. Secondly, people are unfortunately judgmental and again this would limit dating and social aspects, a sacrifice I am not willing to make at this point. Notice that none of my reasons have anything to do with the three categories I mentioned in the paragraph above.

All of the vegans I know haven't eaten a single salad since they turned vegan. The average meat-eating American eats a lot more iceberg lettuce and roma tomatoes than any vegan I've ever met. I think it is prudent for folks to educate themselves on what a vegan diet is -- it is not eating salads. I also don't remember eatin a single salad when I ate vegan. I ate a greater variety of food when vegan than on my regular "balanced" American diet! My own narrow-minded mentality assumed how 'limited' the diet was, but in practice it was quite the opposite.
Neutral. I've been vegetarian and vegan. I think there's an argument for modern man being omnivorous. We can digest just about about everything, so why shouldn't we eat everything?

Dating. Ugh. I met my future husband when I was vegetarian. He just thought I was hot so he didn't care what I ate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska