Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:50 AM

213 posts, read 765,057 times

Advertisements

Looking at buying a home on Lake Susitna. It has the remote setup, i.e. generator, solar panels, large battery bank. If anyone has any experience living (part time or full time) on the lake, I would appreciate your comments and help. Here is the description from the ad on this property. "access is via the Glenn Highway from Anchorage to the Lake Louise cutoff, a paved year round maintained road to Lake Louise, where there is storage, mooring facilities available and from there by boat or snowmobile to the property. Of course, there is float and ski plane access." Any information on how long to get to a store and town mosquito problems, in other words all the usual information that would be helpful. I lived in bush Alaska in Nome, but it's been a while. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Just curious... Have you visited the property for yourself?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Lake Susitna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
No, I haven't but obviously will do so since I know from bush Alaska that you don't buy anything without walking the property and getting all the facts before making a decision.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:30 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Look at posting history before you spend any more time typing responses.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo View Post
No, I haven't but obviously will do so since I know from bush Alaska that you don't buy anything without walking the property and getting all the facts before making a decision.
I'm a bush dweller, but I live in a location with regular scheduled flights. Looks like this property you are looking at doesn't have a scheduled service so things will be a little different. Might want to check the costs to get to your property and consider weight limits on the planes.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I looked at searches for Lake Susitna in the search forums, but did not see anything. Maybe there is some other place to check.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:45 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Quote:
I looked at searches for Lake Susitna in the search forums, but did not see anything. Maybe there is some other place to check.

Is pot legal in your current location? Or just available?

OP has been "moving" from wherever to Florida to Wyoming to Missouri to Colorado...and now settled on Alaska... over the past several months.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:48 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Igloo that's not what she's talking about. You have a bug to move and you posted quite a few threads looking into locations. Have you made your mind up? It seems you want to homeschool which remote locations are great for that. Seems you may have a child with learning challenges? If so, you may want to make sure living remote will be beneficial for them.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Igloo that's not what she's talking about. You have a bug to move and you posted quite a few threads looking into locations. Have you made your mind up? It seems you want to homeschool which remote locations are great for that. Seems you may have a child with learning challenges? If so, you may want to make sure living remote will be beneficial for them.
Thanks for your kind thought about my possible homeschool challenge. The biggest challenge we have is basically a somewhat lazy child (with a slight ADD problem) who does not like school, but we are working on overcoming that. The reason (not that I need to explain things to anybody) that I have researched various areas of the country is that I had family members who wanted to live in different areas so I tried to accomodate them by getting information on their areas of interest, rural or city. Fortunately now my wife and I are down to just one child at home so I am looking to get back to Alaska where we lived for 6 years. The way this country is going, I would like to move to a spot in the bush where I have little to do as possible with the mainstream crowd with their protests, cop killings, and the like. So as far as I'm concerned if I can get back up there to the right place, I'll be happy especially once we are empty nesters.
I know there is no utopia, but we would like to get somewhat closer.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
I have a frend that has a large cabin on that lake, They say that the narrow channel between Lake Louise and Lake Susitna is very narrow and twisty and when water is low you need a jet boat. Best bet for year around store is Glenallen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: