Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:48 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
I am trying to understand the differences between here and there in terms of culture, the judgement of the people and how it does or doesn't effect the uninviting. You folks were the first to bring up gangs. Where I live violent criminals take advantage of the fact that nearly everyone is unarmed. So in my follow up inquest, I tried to understand how you can have a gang violence problem in a place where everyone is armed, which I don't think anyone has even tried to answer. I made no suggestion of having shootouts in the streets.TBH, you are starting to sound like the guy who swears that anyone who chooses to be armed around bears is just looking for an excuse to mow them down. And please don't accuse me of "implying" without any solid grounds for it. Being armed also gives your police the means to deal with violent criminals and I am sure they don't just go around mowing them down. Armed citizens+criminals=rampant shootouts is a ridiculous way of thinking. But I presume you already know that.

TBH, more than anything I was just wondering why people would even be trying to commit crimes against strangers in a community where everyone is free to carry guns on them. And more precisely, is something more subtle going on up there that renders every day people vulnerable to violent crime despite being free to walk around armed.
Oh, I don't know what would have made me assume you were implying anything. I mean packing heat and taking care of business, why don't ya? Comments mean nothing I suppose.
Not everyone up here packs heat. Matter of fact a vast majority of Alaskans don't carry.
Just a heads up, you got me pegged wrong.
I'm all for Concealed carrying. I'd love if we could take care of more of our problems, however I'm a law abiding citizen.

I took you As being legit at first, but unless you have a dry sense of humor, I've decided you ain't for real.
Come on up just make sure you have an exit plan. I think you are going to need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:49 AM

I think your answer has been provided.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:49 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
This may sound silly but for me it's a real issue. When I moved to California from Alaska back in the 1980s, some of my school teachers in California were genuinely dumber than some of my fellow school students in Alaska in practical ways (common sense). I am not kidding.

But I know that Alaska has changed allot since then and allot of nutcases have moved in. My question is, how bad has it gotten?

Also, I cannot stand people who act before they think. People around here who think before they act and plan ahead are extremely rare. As in, I've known fewer than a dozen in my 20+ years here.

Please tell me it's not like this in Alaska.

Everyone up here is dumb as a rock. Can't walk down the street without gang bangers shooting at you every two blocks. Best stay in California.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:21 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
Lived in California most of my life and lived in Gustavus for summers. IMO Alaska and California are night and day. In Gustavus you wave at everybody who drives by. If you see someone walking you pull over and ask if they need a lift. For the most part it's a cool community. I will say that in California, I'd walk downtown Oakland and take my chances but would be very nervous walking the Gustavus streets at night. Can't see anything and I see too many bears and Moose early mornings. For myself, I need the a place that stays open past 9, so I could take Alaska for 6 months. But every time I got back, I'd curse the traffic that starts at 3 pm. If you love reading books, crafting,photography, hunt,fish, are creative with music or writing then Alaska is great. It's relaxing and it's gorgeous for so many reasons. However, when you want something at 8pm, or something breaks and you need to fly it in the next day...well those are the things you sacrifice to live there. Just like sacrificing 3900 a month for a two bedroom two bath apartment, or 1.4 mil for a track home, you make the sacrifice to be in an economically and culturally rich area, with mild weather.

I can honestly say that I met more quirky, cool, and resourceful people in Alaska by far. Are there bad people? Of course, Alaska is perfect for people to disappear and get away from their past. But they aren't going to cross paths with you. IME, you will be treated as you deserve by your neighbors. So being cool and approachable goes a long way there. Actually it goes a long way everywhere.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
OK...but Gustavus and Anchorage (or even Fairbanks or Juneau) are also night and day. And I also don't agree that Alaska is the perfect place to disappear and forget about the past -- no one stands out more in a rural Alaskan community than a newcomer who wants to disappear. I agree, though, that under certain circumstances, it can be be a good place for some to get a new start in life provided they are extremely honest with themselves about the part they played in screwing up their past.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 PM

59 posts, read 61,980 times
That's a relief. So it's all good so long as my brother doesn't move next door. Lol

I recently asked my dad about it since he was there recently. He said it has some new problems since i was last there but elevated violent crime isn't among them. Anyway, it's looking more and more like i will be moving to the anchor point area. I can't imagine there would be much to worry about in that neighborhood. Lol

Old 01-15-2017, 02:22 PM

59 posts, read 61,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK...but Gustavus and Anchorage (or even Fairbanks or Juneau) are also night and day. And I also don't agree that Alaska is the perfect place to disappear and forget about the past -- no one stands out more in a rural Alaskan community than a newcomer who wants to disappear. I agree, though, that under certain circumstances, it can be be a good place for some to get a new start in life provided they are extremely honest with themselves about the part they played in screwing up their past.
Fortunately i am not trying to do any of those things. Well, disappear to some extent but for none of the proposed reasons. Having to start over in terms of building community relations is something I am not looking forward to and some what a motive for this topic. Where i live i have a very good reputation among all the good folks which is difficult for an odd person to build. It's the one thing i can't bring with me that i wish i could. The reasons i am moving to alaska now and not several years from now is because i have to move anyway (new land lords), my local relatives drive me nuts, California has grown too heavy handed and above all, my health is failing and soon i won't be able to easily move on my own initiative.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
and above all, my health is failing and soon i won't be able to easily move on my own initiative.
Then Alaska is not for you! The icebergs are few and far between now days, so if you want to end it all find some other place to do it.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Fortunately i am not trying to do any of those things. Well, disappear to some extent but for none of the proposed reasons. Having to start over in terms of building community relations is something I am not looking forward to and some what a motive for this topic. Where i live i have a very good reputation among all the good folks which is difficult for an odd person to build. It's the one thing i can't bring with me that i wish i could. The reasons i am moving to alaska now and not several years from now is because i have to move anyway (new land lords), my local relatives drive me nuts, California has grown too heavy handed and above all, my health is failing and soon i won't be able to easily move on my own initiative.
Your last statement...you seriously need to rethink Alaska.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM

284 posts, read 405,042 times
Failing health, immobility, Anchor Point=not a good mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska