Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

I'm driving down to see my father and am trying to do it in the most cost effective way that is safe. My 6 year old will be joining. Can this drive be made without studded tires this time of year? We live in Anchorage and my front wheel jeep cherokee has done fine so far, and this was a rough winter here.

Can this drive be made in 3 nights or is 4 necessary?
Any advice is welcome. I have a GPS, I have mapped out stops, I have food and water and blankets and all medicine packed. I basically packed to cover 48 hours stuck which is a bit much but better safe than sorry. I have family in William's Lake and Prince George. One person stated that I can make it from White Horse to Prince George in a day, but that seems to be pushing it. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britlowe412 View Post
I'm driving down to see my father and am trying to do it in the most cost effective way that is safe. My 6 year old will be joining. Can this drive be made without studded tires this time of year? We live in Anchorage and my front wheel jeep cherokee has done fine so far, and this was a rough winter here.

Can this drive be made in 3 nights or is 4 necessary?
Any advice is welcome. I have a GPS, I have mapped out stops, I have food and water and blankets and all medicine packed. I basically packed to cover 48 hours stuck which is a bit much but better safe than sorry. I have family in William's Lake and Prince George. One person stated that I can make it from White Horse to Prince George in a day, but that seems to be pushing it. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!!!

I never use studded tires, but many won't drive without them. I'm thinking four nights would be about right, if you push it a little. I would never try to make it from Whitehorse to PG in one day. Even Chetwynd is way too far to push to in one day.

I didn't know you could even buy a FWD Cherokee. I thought they were all 4WD.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
My best time for the drive was 2 1/2 days, but that was with two drivers switching out and driving around the clock. Our worst time was 5 days, due to weather and mechanical issues. And don't do it without The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST .

Old 03-08-2017, 09:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Yes it can be done, as I did it back in the 90's with just three nights. However, I traveled in early Fall so weather wasn't an issue. I can't speak for Spring. Back then, there were parts of the highway that were dirt, (probably under construction), not sure of that type of condition today. My trip from Anchorage was stopping at Tok, AK, then Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, then Chetwynd, BC, then Seattle, my trip arrival. All long day tripping for sure.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
2nd this advice! Some places may not be open this early in the year.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:26 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
That's really pushing it, especially with unknown road conditions due to possible low visibility, snow and ice. Studs are not necessary, though may provide more security if you're planning to push your speed on winter roads.

I'd at least check the airfare, as this time of year is slow for airlines and there may be deals. The time and stress saved from not driving has significant worth.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Travelling with Children – ezbordercrossing.com

Children Traveling without Both Parents

It is strongly recommended that if only one parent is crossing the border with a child under age 18 that they have a Consent Letter from the other parent granting permission to take the child out of the country. It is even more important if the child is traveling with a friend or relative without either parent present.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
No way. This time of year, you're likely to run into freeze-and-melt road conditions, moose are going to be by the sides of the roads because it's been a rough winter and they're looking for forage. This isn't the time of year to be in a hurry. And what Warpt said. My father and niece were stuck at Customs for 10 hours a couple of years back -- get that letter of consent and have it notarized. I'm not sure how useful GPS is in remote locations...I'd toss it out the window and get a copy of the Milepost. Seriously, I'd fly.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
2nd this advice! Some places may not be open this early in the year.
Gas Stations - Alcan Highway

Old 03-09-2017, 01:55 PM

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska