Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times

Advertisements

^Why do all the prettiest places tend to be the rainiest ?

Wife had some sweet offers from a few Northern California hospitals a while back. Wasn't sure with the taxes if the increase in pay would even be worth it. Some were $15-$20 more an hour than what she makes here. I also don't enjoy multiple days in a row of cool damp grey cloudy drizzly rainy weather.

I also think I've lived in Alaska for just a tad too long to ever adjust to a place like California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

Wife had some sweet offers from a few Northern California hospitals a while back. Wasn't sure with the taxes if the increase in pay would even be worth it. Some were $15-$20 more an hour than what she makes here. I also don't enjoy multiple days in a row of cool damp grey cloudy drizzly rainy weather.

I also think I've lived in Alaska for just a tad too long to ever adjust to a place like California.
I don't know, but I really loved it there. All of my sisters lived there at one point, but only one of us could earn a decent living there. If the rest of us could have, I'm sure we all would have stayed.

Doesn't seem like the politics were quite as stupid back then as it they are now, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Because rain is what makes them that way.

Even the wettest locations in northern California don't quite measure up to SE Alaska, or windward Hawaii, because the places in California have distinct dry seasons, while those in Alaska and Hawaii do not.

So, number of days with rain, and total tally in inches/cms doesn't measure up.
Rainiest place in Cali is about 100 inches a year, while Alaska and Hawaii they're over 200.

Which is not to sell California short-it's plenty rainy and beautiful in those areas.

If SE had a dry season, we'd get too many people here. You know, just like Forks, Washington.

Windward Hawaii doesn't need one, with a tropical sun always overhead to dry things out quickly.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:15 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Because rain is what makes them that way.

Even the wettest locations in northern California don't quite measure up to SE Alaska, or windward Hawaii, because the places in California have distinct dry seasons, while those in Alaska and Hawaii do not.

So, number of days with rain, and total tally in inches/cms doesn't measure up.
Rainiest place in Cali is about 100 inches a year, while Alaska and Hawaii they're over 200.

Which is not to sell California short-it's plenty rainy and beautiful in those areas.

If SE had a dry season, we'd get too many people here. You know, just like Forks, Washington.

Windward Hawaii doesn't need one, with a tropical sun always overhead to dry things out quickly.
There is a summer there, but the word "dry" can only be used relative to the other places you mentioned. hahaha.

Nothing there is ever truly dry. Everything is on a continuum of wet to moldy. God forbid you ever try to pack or seal anything up
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM

41 posts, read 78,643 times
Default Relocation update

Well...I have been in Haines for a few weeks now and just wanted to thank those that offered their input. I secured a clean affordable rental in town as well as a part-time job to supplement my pension. Haines appears to my kind of place, life is pretty good at the moment but only time will tell.

The funny thing is the modern internet i.e. Craigslist, Facebook, online newspaper, etc., played no role whatsoever in my hunt for a rental/employment, instead they were both secured the old fashioned way, simply by word of mouth.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1967 View Post
Well...I have been in Haines for a few weeks now and just wanted to thank those that offered their input. I secured a clean affordable rental in town as well as a part-time job to supplement my pension. Haines appears to my kind of place, life is pretty good at the moment but only time will tell.

The funny thing is the modern internet i.e. Craigslist, Facebook, online newspaper, etc., played no role whatsoever in my hunt for a rental/employment, instead they were both secured the old fashioned way, simply by word of mouth.
Awesome! Make it through your first winter and you'll know if that's the place you want to be.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1967 View Post

Congratulations. Word of mouth seems well fitted for a place like this, as it's a welcome throwback to simpler times.

BTW, leaving town for a few weeks in winter usually isn't held against someone, if finances allow and you're so inclined. I think it's a good idea to get out once in awhile because it can add to your appreciation of what you have.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:30 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Glad all is well. When I was a kid there in the mid-80's there was a great bakery in town. Best donuts I've ever had.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I decided to revive this old thread rather than start a new one b/c this is close to the area I'm looking at, which is Tongass. I want to come up for a visit to the area this summer and I'm looking at a map and wondering how y'all get around? Is it all ferries? Can you take your truck to the islands to camp? Is it possible to get substitute teaching jobs up there?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I decided to revive this old thread rather than start a new one b/c this is close to the area I'm looking at, which is Tongass. I want to come up for a visit to the area this summer and I'm looking at a map and wondering how y'all get around? Is it all ferries? Can you take your truck to the islands to camp? Is it possible to get substitute teaching jobs up there?

Yes, you can take your truck on the ferry and drive it off at your intended destination. Not cheap.

Alaska State Ferry | Alaska Marine Highway System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska