Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times

Advertisements

A Synopsis of the 2017 Season and 2018 Forecast

2017 King salmon fishing was again excellent. The Kenai River King salmon fishing was some of the best we have ever seen! We caught lots of fish and we caught several fish greater than 70 pounds! Also, the Kasilof River continued to be one of the most productive and consistent King salmon fishing rivers in Alaska. There is no evidence that any of this will change in 2018.

Halibut fishing was very consistent this past season. On top of that, King salmon fishing in Homer was again great! The state of Alaska has confirmed, through genetic testing of Homer-caught King salmon, that the majority of these Kings come from the Columbia River or British Columbia. This is great news for local anglers because Columbia River King salmon returns have been setting records in recent years. Therefore, this great King salmon fishing should continue in Homer.

Red salmon fishing was above average this past season but not as good as it can be. Silver salmon fishing was good August through September even into October!

2018 brings the famous Humpies (pink salmon) back to the Kenai River. They begin to arrive in early August in the millions! They keep the action maximized while we sort through them and catch the more desirable silver salmon. This makes for a ton of fun/action and full fish shipping boxes/freezers. If the pinks are anything like they were in 2016 (these fish only visit us every 2 years on the even years), they should be monsters! 2016 pinks were true trophies with many new local records set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 AM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
Sounds like a script for yet another Alaska reality TV show ... lol.

Famous Humpies .... translation = dog food if you like salmon although some will eat them.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
I use to live in Soldotna and the fishing is great there. I know they always enhance brochures but I'll guarantee that you wouldn't be disappointed if you go there. It's a beautiful part of Alaska ( But then, the whole State is beautiful) !!

Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
The state of Alaska has confirmed, through genetic testing of Homer-caught King salmon, that the majority of these Kings come from the Columbia River or British Columbia. This is great news for local anglers because Columbia River King salmon returns have been setting records in recent years. Therefore, this great King salmon fishing should continue in Homer.

Huh? Would Columbia River or BC Kings return to those waters to spawn?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Huh? Would Columbia River or BC Kings return to those waters to spawn?
They would. What he didn't make clear was that the "Homer" kings he's referring to are caught in salt water around Kachemak Bay. They are actively feeding and growing before heading back down to the Columbia River to spawn.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:45 PM

23,262 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I use to live in Soldotna and the fishing is great there. I know they always enhance brochures but I'll guarantee that you wouldn't be disappointed if you go there. It's a beautiful part of Alaska ( But then, the whole State is beautiful) !!
Gotta love hyperbole! OP you'll probably catch fish. How many, how big, and all the rest of it is chance, skill, and luck no matter what some glossy brochure tells you. I hope you would plan to do more on a rather expensive trip to AK than sit with a hook in the water. There's more to the place than fish flesh.

OK, funny story time. I was waiting for a flight at the Juneau airport when two middle-aged gents sat down in the row of seats next to me. They were obviously on their way back home after a fishing excursion. Barely used Cabela's quick dry clothes, crisp treads on their boots; no mud. Shiny pink sunburns on faces and hands, clean "outfitter" type carry-on bags, fancy fishing rod carriers. One called who I could guess was his wife and started telling her all about the treasures that were frozen, boxed, and waiting for the cargo hold. I could only hear one half of the conversation but you could almost predict the other half:

"Honey we had a great time! You bet I did and I'm bringing it home...least 40 lbs!"
"You don't have to clean anything. They showed me how to fillet. It's easy!"
"You keep saying we need to eat more fish. You order it when we go out to eat, right?"
"I know, but it's already frozen. We can space it out. There are lots of recipes."
"We can cut it smaller. Don't we have lots of Ziplocs in that cupboard?"
"Well, we'll put the thawed pieces on the grill tonight. Just uncover it and attach the tank. No, the gauge is easy to read. There's a propane filling station near that Lowe's hardware. Well, I can lift it when it's full."
"Much too good for the silly cat. Anyway, he's yours, not mine."
"Just re-organize the fridge for now. I'm sure we can make room. We can always replace the produce later."
"Not when it's this fresh it doesn't. Just open a new box of baking soda and put it on the shelf."
"There's always lots of old stuff in that freezer. It needs to be sorted anyway."
"Aw, honey, don't worry, I'll take care of all that."

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-15-2018 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,928,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've fished the Kenai a few times, it's not always great. In fact I thought they closed it to king fishing a few times due to poor return numbers.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM

23,262 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Considering the source, all a "forecast" is is hope and dreams. We also know about fishers and fish tales . There are other sources of fish return info you could check to see how unrealistic theirs is. Such as:

Run Forecasts and Harvest Projections for 2018 Alaska Salmon Fisheries and Review of the 2017 Season Report Published: Press Release, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

How accurate they are??? But slightly less biased. You can always plan alternative activities for your trip in case the fish don't arrive while you happen to be there.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
I mean, worst case scenario is you don't catch many fish, but you spent the day outdoors in a gorgeous place, breathing fresh air and enjoying nature.

Well, I mean, or you got eaten by a grizzly. But more realistically.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've fished the Kenai a few times, it's not always great. In fact I thought they closed it to king fishing a few times due to poor return numbers.
They have. I don't think this year will be one of them because even though the official forecast calls for lower-than-average king returns all over the KP, they're still projected to meet escapement goals.

Don't you come up every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska