Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
Yes, I neglected to mention they are aware that at some point they need a ferry. One question I forgot to as was can you even take a UHaul and a car trailer on a ferry?

They themselves do have the money to fly there. When I said time and resources, I was talking about the planning aspect. You can't just pick a flight and say hey, tack on 4 cats to my itinerary They would have to find specific flights and airlines (not to mention we are coming up on holiday season) They would need airline approved kennels. One has health issues which may affect its breathing so that's a no-go. And they would NOT put their cats in the cargo hold. I understand how some people will roll their eyes and say "are they crazy?" Yeah... a little

Bottom line - this is a huge transition and their babies are coming with them

Yes, they do have a place to live. His wife's employer secured an apartment for them.
Hopefully, they can find some time in their schedule for the planning aspect of hauling a UHaul to an island in Alaska. This will take considerably more time than calling airlines. BTW, the cats will be required to remain on the vehicle deck of the ferry in the vehicle.

They need to call both ferry services (they'll be taking two separate ferries; one is under state management and the other is privately owned). I've never seen a UHaul on POW, so I'd wonder about a drop off point. UHaul should be able to answer that question.

They're going to have a rough time as vegans on POW, and I'm not sure how they expect to grow their own food in an apartment. I'm actually surprised that anyone would rent to someone with four cats, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 AM

284 posts, read 404,629 times
Wow. Good luck with all that man. They should probably contact the ferry system to secure a spot and find out the cost. They might be mildly shocked. Then when they get to POW, they might be shocked again. They might want to consider having enough cash to get back down to the lower 48. I live in Sitka and have seen several "want to live the dream" folks leave within a year here. Its an expensive trip to take. I don't get nor would I ever try the vegan thing--good luck with that too! We get great veggies here in the (short) summer months but then everything is mediocre the rest of the year. All that stuff gets shipped in here and from time to time the grocery store runs out of stuff. Again, all I can say is good luck!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:03 PM

80 posts, read 406,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Wow! They need to leave the cats with you and lose the whole vegan thing. Hopefully they'll consider fish as a vegetable.
My son is allergic and I have a Pit Bull

Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 13,763 times
What is a worse time to drive to Anchorage? December or January?

Doc.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFrosty View Post
What is a worse time to drive to Anchorage? December or January?

Doc.
December and January. They are pretty much the same.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 13,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
December and January. They are pretty much the same.
Not what I wanted to hear hahahaha

Doc.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I always like to see people employed, but I'd re-think taking this job. The whole 4 cats (one with a health problem)/vegan/distance aspect foreshadows some major difficulties.

That move isn't fair to the cats: rehome them. Drop being vegan. Sell/donate almost everything. Have untouchable cash savings so a return can be made to the lower 48 when (not if) it finally dawns on the couple that this was not a good move.

Honestly, we need to require the teaching of geography and map reading again in schools. This is not a trivial move, and I agree that coming from PA to AK will be some major culture shock.

Dang! I met a guy the other day who had moved out here (Des Moines) from Pgh and he was experiencing some culture shock: we don't have a Starbucks on every corner and the wind seems to blow without ceasing in the fall. I can't imagine what this couple is going to feel after their first month in AK.
They despise Starbucks and know exactly where Alaska is. This isn't a on a whim thing but his wife getting a job so quickly was a surprise. They already were packing up getting ready to move out of PA to GA but that job never panned out.

I totally understand the skepticism, I do. And I appreciate the honesty. But this is happening. They have their minds set that this is what they want.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:56 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
4300 miles, V8 UHaul truck engine, fuel tank capacity 40 gallons, (400 miles per fuel tank), = $1200 in gas ($2000 conservative)

Ferries $1000-$1200 each (driver + adult + truck + trailer)

7-10 nights motels = $1000

food = ?

UHaul rental (per week?) = $600-1000, plus mileage 4300miles x 0.50 = $2000

Miscellaneous (camping gear, diversions, warm clothing etc ) = $1000-$2000

About $10K trip?

Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
My son is allergic and I have a Pit Bull
Except for the cats and vegetable thing they'll probably do okay. No Uhaul return on Prince of Wales that I see. That means they'd have to get it back to Ketchikan. Might be cheaper to unload in Seattle and ship their belongings on the barge. That's what I've done and would do again.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hopefully, they can find some time in their schedule for the planning aspect of hauling a UHaul to an island in Alaska. This will take considerably more time than calling airlines. BTW, the cats will be required to remain on the vehicle deck of the ferry in the vehicle.

They need to call both ferry services (they'll be taking two separate ferries; one is under state management and the other is privately owned). I've never seen a UHaul on POW, so I'd wonder about a drop off point. UHaul should be able to answer that question.

They're going to have a rough time as vegans on POW, and I'm not sure how they expect to grow their own food in an apartment. I'm actually surprised that anyone would rent to someone with four cats, btw.
The info I found about flying with animals is that it should be planned months in advance and they don't allow travelling with pets in the cabin during holiday season. They didn't put much effort into that route after this and it wasn't ideal in the first place, so they are focused on determining how to move via roads.

I did look up UHaul and they only go as far as Ketchikan.

The apartment would be temporary, but yes, I worry about the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska