Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:31 AM

256 posts, read 452,768 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in the market for another vehicle around April 2018. However, the vehicle(s) I am currently in market for are very expensive in state and sometimes hard to come by in good condition. What is needed to purchase a vehicle out of state?

Obviously will need a passport.
Best way to handle the cash transaction?
What about sales tax on a vehicle in the lower 48 (state of Washington), or is it better to buy from a state like Montana?
What about crossing the border with a lower 48 plate and an Alaskan driver license?

I am sure I'll have other questions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
I can speak to a few of your questions...
Yes, you'll need the passport for the drive through Canada unless you drive to Tacoma and ship the vehicle from there while you fly home.
About 10 years ago I bought a couple of mini-buses for our church and a group of us flew down to Seattle to drive them up. We paid with a check. Not sure if there was sales tax...
We got a temporary tag from Washington State that was good for I think two weeks. Had those, the bill of sale from the dealer and a letter from the church authorizing us to drive them up. Canadian border guard didn't even look at them... Their only concern was a rifle one of us had bought and was bringing up. Had to have it inspected, fill out the paperwork and pay the fee. But otherwise we slid right on through.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:07 AM

134 posts, read 195,388 times
I know it's not the same, and it's been awhile, but I bought a pop up in Washington state a few years ago from a car dealer. I didn't have to pay sales tax, told them I'll be titling it in Alaska. No problem driving through Canada, got the Alaska title right away, no problems.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Since Alaska does not have a state sales tax (yet) you do not have to pay Washington state sales tax as long as you are taking the vehicle to Alaska. You will need to be able to show proof of Alaska residency.

As soon as you buy the vehicle you will need to get it added on to your insurance policy and have your insurance company fax you something showing the vehicle is insured for passage thru Canada.

I would suggest you call a car dealer in Washington and tell them you are looking to buy a car to take back to Alaska and ask them what steps are needed to be done. I seem to recall seeing something where you get a temp license to get to Alaska.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Alaskans don't have to pay sales tax in Washington for personal property. As previously mentioned, not likely customs will care about anything other than your passport and whether you're carrying firearms.

OK, gotta ask: What ya buying?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:10 AM

256 posts, read 452,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Alaskans don't have to pay sales tax in Washington for personal property. As previously mentioned, not likely customs will care about anything other than your passport and whether you're carrying firearms.

OK, gotta ask: What ya buying?
Nothing new since my wife purchased a new 2016 Escape last year and that is our family rig. I want something fun like a Outback XT with manual or a diesel Jeep. Floating some ideas for project cars / trucks like a Avalanche with low miles. Either way the vehicles I am looking at here sell for a lot of money whereas they sell for $2-4k less down south. They also have less miles and many more to choose from at any given time.

I am mostly doing this for the adventure and something to do during spring break.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
I am going to be in the market for another vehicle around April 2018. However, the vehicle(s) I am currently in market for are very expensive in state and sometimes hard to come by in good condition. What is needed to purchase a vehicle out of state?

Obviously will need a passport.
Best way to handle the cash transaction?
What about sales tax on a vehicle in the lower 48 (state of Washington), or is it better to buy from a state like Montana?
What about crossing the border with a lower 48 plate and an Alaskan driver license?

I am sure I'll have other questions.

Thanks!
If you only plan to travel throughout Canada and the US, you can save some cash by buying a passport Card instead of a passport.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
There is sales tax on vehicles in Washington.

One of the last things my mother did before she died was to buy a new fish truck in Oregon. I'm not sure how she paid for it; bank transfer, I'm guessing. She registered it before flying down, put the plates on, drove out to Eastern Oregon where I was holed up for the winter, put the truck on the barge in Washington, and went into a hospice home.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There is sales tax on vehicles in Washington.
Alaska residents don't have to pay the sales tax on vehicles they buy with the intent of immediately taking them to Alaska. Same goes with vehicles bought in Idaho and Arizona and probably other states.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Alaska residents don't have to pay the sales tax on vehicles they buy with the intent of immediately taking them to Alaska. Same goes with vehicles bought in Idaho and Arizona and probably other states.
That's interesting. How did you find that out? I have thought about buying something this summer when we visit familyndown south. However the taxes have pushed me away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: