Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:16 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and I have no interest in moving. I tried, but my heart just wasn't into it. My solution was to turn my Arizona house into my winter house and move back to Alaska. Now I have the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM

54 posts, read 50,305 times
When the pipeline first went in, the environmentalists didn't have the reach that they now have. Had the pipeline been successful in terms of no incident rates...spills, etc., then I think the idea of drilling in ANWR would be more palatable. Even though the oil companies/partners that own the pipeline made "promises" back then to responsibly keep up the pipeline, the incentive to squeeze everything out of those assets is greater...and keeping the institutional stock holders happy. It is true there is an enormously large upfront investment in north slope assets, but at the end of the day, it's about money.

It doesn't matter what side of the issue you are on. It is unfortunate in view of our budget problems that we keep looking to oil as basically our only solution for revenue. You would think people could put their heads together and create and invest in other options for Alaska revenue. It does not mean it is going to be easy, but it could be done. Eventually, oil production will not be an option - IMHO.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
When the pipeline first went in, the environmentalists didn't have the reach that they now have. Had the pipeline been successful in terms of no incident rates...spills, etc., then I think the idea of drilling in ANWR would be more palatable. Even though the oil companies/partners that own the pipeline made "promises" back then to responsibly keep up the pipeline, the incentive to squeeze everything out of those assets is greater...and keeping the institutional stock holders happy. It is true there is an enormously large upfront investment in north slope assets, but at the end of the day, it's about money.

It doesn't matter what side of the issue you are on. It is unfortunate in view of our budget problems that we keep looking to oil as basically our only solution for revenue. You would think people could put their heads together and create and invest in other options for Alaska revenue. It does not mean it is going to be easy, but it could be done. Eventually, oil production will not be an option - IMHO.
That is unlikely, the state will burn up all available reserves before they have to tell the voters no more schools (other than in high income areas of Anchorage), no more medicare and no more projects (unless the feds flip the bill).

Once the money dries up and oil and gas are employing less people than the feds Alaska will look much different. It also stifles us that we don't have the ability as a state to negotiate our own trade deals with Russia or Canada who are both our neighbors.

If the fed govt does not want to come in and flip the bill to maintain Alaska and basically create a fed jobs program and yet ties our hands to have any autonomy as a state then its going to get pretty grim.

Without significant oil production Alaska cant self sustain and we will go back to being a state highly dependent on fed govt, which is ok so long as the feds actually keep writing the checks and drastically increase federal hiring. So far we are not seeing that though.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM

459 posts, read 586,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That is unlikely, the state will burn up all available reserves before they have to tell the voters no more schools (other than in high income areas of Anchorage), no more medicare and no more projects (unless the feds flip the bill).

Once the money dries up and oil and gas are employing less people than the feds Alaska will look much different. It also stifles us that we don't have the ability as a state to negotiate our own trade deals with Russia or Canada who are both our neighbors.

If the fed govt does not want to come in and flip the bill to maintain Alaska and basically create a fed jobs program and yet ties our hands to have any autonomy as a state then its going to get pretty grim.

Without significant oil production Alaska cant self sustain and we will go back to being a state highly dependent on fed govt, which is ok so long as the feds actually keep writing the checks and drastically increase federal hiring. So far we are not seeing that though.

You mean no more Medicaid ... and other free chit for government employees, schools and deadbeats.

Alaska can never self-sustain and oil is the only thing that got it close. 15% of the population has been on the doll since 1 BC, are non-payers, and will always be. Another 15% are just duds and suck everything up in sight and produce nothing.

40% work for government in some form and regulate or "teach" contributing virtually nothing other than a new generation of the same.

So exactly what will all these new Fed's be doing - regulating each other ... lol.

Heck we aren't even smart enough to make people pay a fair share in taxes or to do something as simple as not let the Feds tax the permanent fund dividend.

Why on earth do you think Alaska leaders could actually "negotiate our own trade deals with Russia or Canada" ... man, I'll have some of what you're smoking!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:36 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
You mean no more Medicaid ... and other free chit for government employees, schools and deadbeats.

Alaska can never self-sustain and oil is the only thing that got it close. 15% of the population has been on the doll since 1 BC, are non-payers, and will always be. Another 15% are just duds and suck everything up in sight and produce nothing.

40% work for government in some form and regulate or "teach" contributing virtually nothing other than a new generation of the same.

So exactly what will all these new Fed's be doing - regulating each other ... lol.

Heck we aren't even smart enough to make people pay a fair share in taxes or to do something as simple as not let the Feds tax the permanent fund dividend.

Why on earth do you think Alaska leaders could actually "negotiate our own trade deals with Russia or Canada" ... man, I'll have some of what you're smoking!
Military support and general infrastructure upgrades. There is stuff to do in Alaska but its govt driven not free market driven, even the pipeline was govt driven to a large extent. Govt was HEAVILY involved with settling the west when the west was like Alaska. When there is nothing but wilderness there is no economic driver.

Even back in the old days the rail road had an economic incentive to connect to the West coast. The big project of our time could be the bridge to Russia, however our federal representatives are obstructionist and the state cant negotiate with Russia on our own to build a road to Nome and then a subsequent bridge even if we had the money and Russia cooperated on their end (which they have agreed to on 3 separate occasions).

Alaska is never going to be this, you make dudad Y and I pay X and we all drive around on massive infrastructure projects (road systems, rail, power grid, etc, etc) and pretend like we are all libertarians lol.

Also the biggest lay abouts and consumers in this state are the share holders of various native corps .... is that the 15% you are referring too?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM

459 posts, read 586,106 times
You got the 15% just right - red checks, blue check, green check ... goes on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska