Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Someone can feel the Gulf is "pristine" but it's not remotely so and you couldn't pay me to eat any fish out of there after the big oil spill. ANWR is pristine. There's no reason to expand the damage to more areas for a tiny amount of oil.
False assumption to base your reasoning on the premise that it will be destroyed. I think you're blind from your passion to save the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 AM

459 posts, read 586,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well if you aren't looking for information that will contradict your personal opinions you won't find it.

https://blogs.umass.edu/natsci397a-e...ldlife-refuge/

That's funny. You mean like you do .. hahahaha

Have you actually ready that? This is all you got ... lol. This is the "collective" wisdom of all those scientists?

I used to fly game surveys in summer for F&G and I can tell you that all those fish and all those birds and all those mice, hares, fox = BD. They are everyplace and ANWR is nothing special. I have been to Arctic Village several times - how about you? I spent a month in Umiat flying helicopters - how about you. Heck, you ever seen this pristine wilderness first hand or just TV and magazines? What part of the arctic did you homestead?

This is how the elites justify their existence - exploiting young students with stars in the eyes and sending them on virtually worthless specie surveys.

Do you think milk comes from the grocery store or from a cow?

Come on - it is great to advocate a position but please put some realism in it for us simple people.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,651 times
Yeah, saving the world, having clean air and water, preserving wilderness, what chumps!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
I just love how all the pictures of ANWR are taken looking towards the mountains from about100yds away.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
..In the ensuing 1/4 of a century science has proved that oil exploration doesn't affect caribou population or migration. I think it's a nonissue.
Science rarely "proves" anything, and certainly hasn't in this case. Link from ADFG shows ambiguity exists here. Caribou Calves and Oil Development, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Caribou population is currently way down, for reasons not understood, but climate change is a major suspect.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
That's funny. You mean like you do .. hahahaha

Have you actually ready that? This is all you got ... lol. This is the "collective" wisdom of all those scientists?

I used to fly game surveys in summer for F&G and I can tell you that all those fish and all those birds and all those mice, hares, fox = BD. They are everyplace and ANWR is nothing special. I have been to Arctic Village several times - how about you? I spent a month in Umiat flying helicopters - how about you. Heck, you ever seen this pristine wilderness first hand or just TV and magazines? What part of the arctic did you homestead?

This is how the elites justify their existence - exploiting young students with stars in the eyes and sending them on virtually worthless specie surveys.

Do you think milk comes from the grocery store or from a cow?

Come on - it is great to advocate a position but please put some realism in it for us simple people.
So multiple sources of peer reviewed research cited there can simply be dismissed with anecdotes from you? Obviously you didn't read any of what I linked to because it discussed species beyond simply "mice, hares, fox." Sorry but the anti-intellectual claptrap doesn't fly with me. Ignorance is not bliss, it's just ignorance.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
False assumption to base your reasoning on the premise that it will be destroyed. I think you're blind from your passion to save the world.
So can you cite anyplace that has been exploited by the oil industry that has not experienced spills? Can you prove the oil drilling will have no impact on the caribou and other species there? Where is your evidence for your claim it will be safe? The burden of proof is on the side of the drilling supporters to prove it will be harmless.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
I just love how all the pictures of ANWR are taken looking towards the mountains from about100yds away.
By your standards the Everglades would not merit any protection because there isn't a scenic pullout at every half a mile.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
A swamp is a swamp, I don't care where it is!

Old 12-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Swamps can be incredible places if you can appreciate what's there. The birds, the unique plants, the wildlife in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska