Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:25 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that the state of alaska owns ALL mineral rights in the state (other than maybe federal land). So can the state sell leases to minerals which include peoples private property and have oil companies rolling rigs into peoples back yards?

I was just reading up on this and I was floored that surface rights were subservient to mineral rights in most states. Sure if I am going to walk away a multi millionaire drill away, but if all I am getting is a pittance for surface rights then why should the law side with the mineral rights holder, shouldn't they be forced to negotiate with the surface holder if they want to develop (most people have their price).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 AM

459 posts, read 585,394 times
Not quite accurate or as dramatic as you make it. I own the mineral rights to several properties I bought many years ago in interior and subsequently sold the property but retained the rights.

The holder can exercise their rights; however, they are accountable for all loses to the surface rights holders loss of use and enjoyment of their property. By no means should the mineral holder be obligated to "share" anything. The minerals, ie. oil, is their exclusive property. Next the fishermen will have to share the catch since it is state owned, federal, international or public waters they come from. They do not have the "fish rights", but stay tuned. If there is a buck to screw someone out of it will eventually happen.

Don't forget mining claims both state and federal.

That would be one heck of a backyard indeed to have an oil rig roll in and set up shop!!

Me thinks you have a bone for the oil guys ..... just sayin

Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Damages paid to surface rights owners are a joke everywhere. If you doubt me spend some time in western PA where the world's best black cherry grows. Except where mineral rights holders forever wiped out the productive soil.

All it takes is a legislative act to make mineral rights subservient to surface rights and I think that's going to be the case eventually. The current law is a relic of the 19th century when this country was largely undeveloped and sparsely populated..

Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Land with surface and mineral rights is seriously hard to find in Alaska.

I don't own the mineral rights under my land as the great state of Alaska does. I'd be seriously surprised and obviously bummed if anyone ever showed up to extract anything from it.

Outside of patented mining claims, where can you find land for sale with both surface and mineral ownership in Alaska? I can't think of many properties I've seen for sale up here where the mineral rights are included.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Native corporations also have subsurface rights. Think Red Dog (NANA) and Donlin Gold (Calista).

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
As far as an oil rig in your backyard, anyone remember the big brewhaha when a company was looking at coal-bed methane extraction in the Mat-Su valley? Residents out there got quite worked up over the thought of just that.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Not quite accurate or as dramatic as you make it. I own the mineral rights to several properties I bought many years ago in interior and subsequently sold the property but retained the rights.

The holder can exercise their rights; however, they are accountable for all loses to the surface rights holders loss of use and enjoyment of their property. By no means should the mineral holder be obligated to "share" anything. The minerals, ie. oil, is their exclusive property. Next the fishermen will have to share the catch since it is state owned, federal, international or public waters they come from. They do not have the "fish rights", but stay tuned. If there is a buck to screw someone out of it will eventually happen.

That would be one heck of a backyard indeed to have an oil rig roll in and set up shop!!

Very few properties in Alaska have mineral rights unless they were acquired before statehood or if they were parented, deeded federal mining claims. Good for you for keeping the minerals.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
They don't need to park a drilling rig on your property. They can directional drill from a mile away and tap into any reserves directly beneath you 2 miles deep.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post

So you don't think you should have to return the land to EXACTLY the way it was before you went in and mined or drilled, to include replanting trees of the exact same size and type?

Who is the entitled one in this case anyways? Its not cheap to return the land to the way it was PROPERLY, after the mineral rights holder gets rich they will kick and scream that they should just be able to half arse the reclamation because they have their eye on a new yachat.

Also are they going to buy me a new house away from all the noise and dust of a mineral operation? Or put me up in an equivalent property until the property is reclaimed (plus maintain my existing property while I am away up to my standards), I think not and that's why I think mineral rights owners will eventually lose because they want to be able to trample surface owner rights because of their arrogance due to precident of subservient surface rights.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
They don't need to park a drilling rig on your property. They can directional drill from a mile away and tap into any reserves directly beneath you 2 miles deep.
And that's the way to do it so long as its not creating noise pollution, dust, etc. Although I don't think they can do that with gas fracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska