Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Xtra tuffs have been around awhile, but wearing them everywhere and considering them part of an Alaskan uniform is relatively new. They're made in China now and probably a lot different than in your father's time.
True...back when they were harder to find, people welcomed the "uniform" because it distinguished them from the other cheechakos walking off the boat/jet from Seattle. Some of the ways people personalize them these days are pretty cool. For extra credit, wear them with your calico kuspuk. And, don't forget that half of your luggage manufactured by Coleman or Igloo, marked FROZEN with a dull Sharpie, and wrapped with duct tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
My father came from northern Wisconsin/Minnesota to take a forest service job in Juneau in the early 60's.

He was an avid hunter/outdoorsman and this move was a dream come true for him. Never had any interest of living elsewhere after that-except during his senior years.

I don't particularly care for the winter months, so your schedule of May to October sounds better to me.

Extra Tuffs have been around for at least half a century. Back in the 60's/70's they were about the only player in the waterproof footwear market. They're great for times when you'll be stepping through muskeg or shallow water, but otherwise there are now much better options for just walking about town or trails. Basically, any waterproof footwear choice will be superior to them for comfort and support.

For short walks such as 15-20 minutes, regular old non waterproof athletic shoes work just fine for me in the typically damp, drizzle conditions.

I suppose you've read this recent thread on Wrangell: https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...ating-etc.html
Very cool...I have several Minnesota friends who have ventured north to Alaska on vacations/jobs/college and all have absolutely enjoyed the parts they've seen. I definitely didn't do enough traveling growing up, but I had an awesome time dropping everything to go live out west in Wyoming last summer. Though it was great there, I have always wanted to experience Alaska at some point in my life. And what better chance to do it while I'm still young?! The seasonal lifestyle that I live is fun, but it can be tough moving around every 6 months for the next job. I live for adventure and new life experiences...and don't exactly feel ready to set my roots anywhere until I see a little more of the world first

It'll be interesting to see what footwear the USFS recommends for my job as a timber cruiser, since we'll be out in the woods every day. I have definitely worked in all types of weather conditions in my past 5 summer outdoors jobs, but can't say I've ever experienced a place as rainy as southeast AK. Anyways, thanks everyone for chiming in on the footwear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Befriend somebody with a boat.
Good tip...I will definitely have to do some networking to get around in my off time. Sounds like I'll be doing a fair amount of travel by boat up to Petersburg as well as some other islands in the Wrangell region.

Looking forward to an awesome summer and the experiences to come...

Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Last time I was in Wrangel was summer of 2010, the weather was gorgeous, the locals hadn't experienced that many days of hot weather in many years.
With you being from N. MN you're more ready for what AK has for challenge than 99.9% of everyone else.

Adventure away!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Last time I was in Wrangel was summer of 2010, the weather was gorgeous, the locals hadn't experienced that many days of hot weather in many years.
With you being from N. MN you're more ready for what AK has for challenge than 99.9% of everyone else.

Adventure away!
I don't particularly care for extreme heat, which is probably what draws me towards taking seasonal jobs in the "colder" northern states

Sounds great...everything I have heard and been told sounds like I will have quite the 6 months of my life up there...(if not longer!)

Old 02-23-2018, 01:25 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
It'll be interesting to see what footwear the USFS recommends for my job as a timber cruiser, since we'll be out in the woods every day. I have definitely worked in all types of weather conditions in my past 5 summer outdoors jobs, but can't say I've ever experienced a place as rainy as southeast AK. Anyways, thanks everyone for chiming in on the footwear.

Call and ask your supervisor for footwear recommendations. They might be less expensive if you get them before arriving. Also you may have more options and can work on waterproofing/sealing them sooner if they require it. Assume that the woods will still be "raining" a couple of days after the stuff stops falling from the sky. It is just plain WET.

Good tip...I will definitely have to do some networking to get around in my off time. Sounds like I'll be doing a fair amount of travel by boat up to Petersburg as well as some other islands in the Wrangell region.

At least a lot of people in the area will HAVE a boat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska