Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 PM

406 posts, read 756,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
There isn't a Barrow, Alaska any more. It is now Utqiagvik, Alaska and if you can't pronounce it you shouldn't go there.
Barrow to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Barrow to me!
political correctness goes all the way to 70N

as far as housing shortage goes - is the community (natives) against more materials being shipped in/houses being built?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem5 View Post
political correctness goes all the way to 70N

as far as housing shortage goes - is the community (natives) against more materials being shipped in/houses being built?
I wouldn't call it PC.

Have you ever visited Alaska?

Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,196 times
Hey, people!

Sorry to barge in on the thread. I'm looking for information on the city for fictional purposes. I've been reading all I can about how life is up there, but information is so scarce that sometimes it's really hard to put things together and imagine how the community really works. Is there anyone who could shed some light on how the city works, if people are friendly, if, for being a really small city, everybody knows everybody, etc?

Thank you so much!

A.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenar View Post
Hey, people!

Sorry to barge in on the thread. I'm looking for information on the city for fictional purposes. I've been reading all I can about how life is up there, but information is so scarce that sometimes it's really hard to put things together and imagine how the community really works. Is there anyone who could shed some light on how the city works, if people are friendly, if, for being a really small city, everybody knows everybody, etc?

Thank you so much!

A.

Since you're an author/editor involved in a book project take a trip up there and experience it first hand. My opinion would be biased and slanted since my experiences were as a police officer there. The only way you'll really find the answers for your project is to get your feet on the ground and experience yourself. A small investment to make for the reality you seek.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:19 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Hey, people!

Thank you so much!

A.
Go for visit. You'll never come close to figuring it out otherwise.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Thank you people for your replies. I would gladly take a trip to Barrow; however, I live very, very far from the USA and the money I am being paid to do this research wouldn't even pay the ticket for me to go to the airport in my city. Anyway, the information I was looking for was purely practical, in terms of what they have there or not. I'll keep looking and watching videos.

Last edited by dandelionn; 05-29-2018 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: personal reasons

Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Thank you people for your replies. I would gladly take a trip to Barrow; however, I live very, very far from the USA and the money I am being paid to do this research wouldn't even pay the ticket for me to go to the airport in my city. Anyway, the information I was looking for was purely practical, in terms of what they have there or not. I'll keep looking and watching videos.
They have quite a bit of stuff. He’s a hub. There’s a post office. A few stores. Houses. Roads. People. Football team. Name change. Airport. Hospital. Lots of money. Lots of issues. Water plant.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
They have quite a bit of stuff. He’s a hub. There’s a post office. A few stores. Houses. Roads. People. Football team. Name change. Airport. Hospital. Lots of money. Lots of issues. Water plant.
Drugs and alcohol too. Lots of alcohol.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM

People! Thank you for answering again. I'm very sorry, but I'll get very specific. I completely understand if you don't want to answer the questions.

My questions are: as far as I understand, the North Slope Borough Police Department, since it is the only one handling all that area, is very well equipped. I've seen that they have helicopters and AK47s, over 100 employees, etc. Thus, that would mean that they would have enough resources to conduct DNA testing and what-not, right? Where does this come from: normally, when we think about city sizes, the smaller the city is, the less resources police officers have and, in some cases, they even have to buy some of the supplies - like what happens to teachers, for example. Since it is responsible for the whole Northern area, I suppose that is not true in this case, right? I've read that they have the largest k-9 unit in Alaska and that they even have a SWAT team. Do they really have a SWAT team? I'm asking this from a totally different culture, ok? I mean no disrespect, it's just that, for us, that only see SWAT teams in movies, that idea is like WOW, mind-blowing. On the same note, considering that it's the only police department, does the NBPD have specific departments or do police officers have to handle all types of incidents - meaning: are there specific police officers that are homicide detectives, for example, or do they do everything? Oh, and last thing. Are the streets patrolled?

I know about the drug and alcohol problem, have been reading extensively about it. I also read that the city is kind of dangerous in terms of domestic violence and rapes. I've checked the records and saw that there are a bunch of registered sex offenders. I also read somewhere that most of this problem has to do with people getting drunk and molesting members of their own families.

I've watched some videos that have shown me basically almost everything there is in Barrow. This one was done by a nice lady, who filmed everything and even gave the viewers an idea of how many minutes it takes to go from one place to another. It was very entertaining and interesting, so I kind of understood the basic structure of the city. She says that everyday people receive 50 gallons of water and the sewage is collected. I understand that this happens because it's so cold that there is no way all houses could be connected to pipes to receive water or remove sewage automatically. Is that so? I was reading the 2015 Census and it says that most houses have access to water and sewerage system. When she was showing her house, she also showed the cunnychuck. From what I understand, that room serves as some sort of buffer, that isolates the house from the outside and is also used to keep some things stored, dry, and frozen. Is that right? Do all houses have cunnychucks? I saw that some of them also have a storage area outside, dug into the permafrost, where the Inupiat keep their food frozen. Thinking about the cunnychuck and the house, do people keep their heating on all the time even when they are not home? When I lived in NJ, which is not even close to the weather in Alaska, I know, the heating was automatic, so it turned on and off according to whatever temperature was set. I know the houses are different and I am pretty sure there is no central heating, thus, how does it work? Do people use fireplaces?

I live in a huge city, thus, I know it's pretty difficult to develop community bonds, because people are too busy coming and going. I know that when you live in a small city, the dynamic is completely different. I watch a lot of crime shows on TV and, whenever something happens, the whole community is affected and people come together to help each other. That is something that is really different in the USA, this sense of community, which is really hard to find in other places. I take that, being so small, the same happens in Barrow. Considering that the city is only accessible by plane, from my point of view, people start recognizing each other with time, even when they don't know each other - I mean, the faces - like, oh, that guy is the one who moved next to xxx last Summer. I also read that families are very important and that people develop very close relationships, because it's necessary for survival. I don't mean to say that it's a perfect place where everybody loves everybody, I just think it works - in simple terms - as if there were a permanent neighborhood watch program, where people are always looking out and paying attention, because people can die because of the weather and of wild animals. Is that very distant from the truth? Still on that line of thought: if something serious happens, all the Inupiat elders and the community would organize meetings and the problem would be discussed with the authorities and people would take action, I suppose?

From what I hear, the Inupiat are very active and have their say in almost everything that is decided in Barrow. From the information I have gathered, I saw that they make up almost 70% of the people in Barrow, whereas Caucasians have dropped to about 11%. Is this proportion mirrored in terms of law enforcement employees and public servants? Are there racial tensions?

In Winter, I know that there is no sun for over 60 days. However, I read in another thread there, that there is a bit of light. I understand that the little light you get is not considered daylight, but twilight. So, it is kind of dark but not really dark for those few hours?

I know there is not a lot to do in Barrow in terms of entertainment. I saw some pictures on the police department's Facebook page about some movies they were showing around Winter. I read on a book that they have get togethers sponsored by the church, with music and dancing, and some dinners where people can mingle? It was fiction, so I have no idea if that was imagined or if it's real.

I read somewhere too, that there is a heated tunnel under Barrow that houses all the cables for the internet, etc. Is that correct? No need to describe the tunnel, I just want to have an idea of what people have access to. I mean, I look up and see cables hanging from telephone poles, so I just take things for granted, you know?

I also read that when someone dies, they are sent to State Medical Examiner Office and they can only be buried once the autopsy has been conducted and the body is returned to Barrow and that depends on the bottleneck of cases in Anchorage and on the flight schedules. So, nobody can be buried right away? It always takes a few days between transferring the body to Anchorage and getting it back?

I'm pretty sure I have more things to ask, but off the top of my head, that's what I remember. I would be really, really, really grateful if you guys could tell me about these things. Thank you so, so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: