Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people think the Alcan is one rough and rutted drive. Those days are in the past now. Aside from work in various places, its smooth sailing on the highway. It is going to be much nicer around the Sheep Mountain area when they get done with that in the Yukon. That was always tight and windy and filled with speed demons. They'll still be there when they get done, but it will be wide open in that part that was once narrow. I'll hit the highway come August again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 03:24 AM

23 posts, read 76,722 times
Whats the chance of finding something like this up there. None i bet, its manual v6. I had a 86 4 runner in colorado with 250k on it and I drove it everywhere, If you get a good one there great.

cars.com: 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD

Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
U want to buy a vehicle for about $3500 max and you and your friend wish to bum around living in it for a month in Alaska before heading South to the lower 48. Sounds awfully risky to me not only because there are not a lot of vehicles fitting your spec in that price range that are reliable even in the lower 48. Then you are driving through some unfamiliar rugged country to boot and with a female companion. I can understand risking your own life but what about hers? I guess, the very least, if you still decide to make such a trip, you both will be rather aromatic long before making the states.

Not sure why you say its risky, and why would I be risking our lives, am I missing somthing, I'm only afraid of the bears thats why I want to be able to sleep in the Car,My girlfriend said the moose are more dangerous than the bears,will we die?.....

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
If you shop you can find an early 90's toyota pickup with a cab that will probably make it down the highway.

However, just get a two wheel drive van...no problem.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Default Looky What I Found

Looks in fair shape.

88 toyota 4runner (broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,828 times
It is true the Alcan is a fairly decent road from one end to the other. Alaska and Canada do have some extraordinarily friendly and helpful people especially w/stranded motorist. But there are stretchs that are far from civilization even assuming you stay on this road only. The risks are not necessarily a loss of lives which can happen even in the well traveled super hiways. Unfortunately, help is not like dialing 911 even if your cell ph works which, in most cases it will not, and have an emergency crew on the way in minutes. Yes, you can have injuries from the many wild animals if you are careless which I personally have found w/many young people. ( Have U read about what happened recently, to the guys who taunted the tiger which was in a fenced moat? They felt they were safe until the tiger jumped the fence) Perhaps, if you are an experienced back country woodsman, then you and your friend are fine. But, it is a guy thing, especially a young buck, to impress the ladies sometimes to their sorrow.
Nothing against Rance, but it is a known fact of life. Older vehicles do breakdown more often than newer vehicles even w/autos that can log 300k and more miles. I should know, I've driven one over 500k. But I certainly would not drive it to Alaska if I still have it much less taking my wife or lady friend w/me.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 04-10-2008 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
It is true the Alcan is a fairly decent road from one end to the other. Alaska and Canada do have some extraordinarily friendly and helpful people especially w/stranded motorist. But there are stretchs that are far from civilization even assuming you stay on this road only. The risks are not necessarily a loss of lives which can happen even in the well traveled super hiways. Unfortunately, help is not like dialing 911 even if your cell ph works which, in most cases it will not, and have an emergency crew on the way in minutes. Yes, you can have injuries from the many wild animals if you are careless which I personally have found w/many young people. ( Have U read about what happened recently, to the guys who taunted the tiger which was in a fenced moat? They felt they were safe until the tiger jumped the fence) Perhaps, if you are an experienced back country woodsman, then you and your friend are fine. But, it is a guy thing, especially a young buck, to impress the ladies sometimes to their sorrow.
Nothing against Rance, but it is a known fact of life. Older vehicles do breakdown more often than newer vehicles even w/autos that can log 300k and more miles. I should know, I've driven one over 500k. But I certainly would not drive it to Alaska if I still have it much less taking my wife or lady friend w/me.
Hi, Thanks for the info. Im a great driver and understend the risks, Its a long road for sure but figure doing 4 hours a day driving and then finding somewhere to camp, either a camp site or find our own place off the road somewhere, thats why is rather a 4 wheeler just in case, there is no way id try anything stupid so far from help.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
4 hours a day driving? It'll take a month to drive it at that speed! Unless you drive really fast!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
A typical day on the Alcan for me is around 12-16 hours, depending on how much sleep I got the night before.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 AM

So how long will it take if I drive 10-12 hours a day, I don’t mind spending a couple of weeks getting down, when the road and views are boring ill just keep driving and when its cool ill take my time and do some small hikes every day, maybe do a little gold panning if I find a small creek. The whole thing will be new to me up there but I love a bit of an adventure. I’m not sure what to expect but I’m 35 and spent 10 years in Colorado and Utah and always went on road trips so I figured this will be the mother of all trips.
[font=Times New Roman]We want to go up to Denali and spend a bit of time there and then down to the coasts to see the glaciers. Id like to go to Homer for obvious reason (Simpson’s) and I think I’ll see some of the best scenery ill ever see in my Life.
I drove from Ireland to The French Alps (That’s through two countries and two Islands) a few years back in the middle of winter and spent a lot of time sleeping it my 4 runner in -20 on the Side of Mt Blanc, Spent 3 months there (not all in the Toyota).
Thanks for all the response so far, Its great.
Please send me links if you see any Toyotas for sale or something similar. There will be beer vouchers in it for you if I find a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska