Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times

Advertisements

Don't worry...I won't tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 PM

205 posts, read 740,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
She had an opportunity to leave while the bear was chomping on Tim. He TOLD her to. She opted not to.
I did not see the movie. I did hear some stuff about the incident itself, though, including a very tragic audio of what was happening at the end (camera found at the grizzly scene) -- which I can't remember the source now. What the REAL Treadwell was telling his girlfriend to do is hit the bear with the frying pan. He had no gun, did not care that his girlfriend was a greenie coming with him for the first time and completely unable to defend herself, and then he begs for her to save his life at the end.

I don't know for sure what the truth is obviously I was not there, but if this is the truth, well, hey any of us could find out we're whiney cowards in the face of death. I hold him responsible for bringing her along with him without any means to defend herself.

Maybe she did know the risk and was willing to take it. If it weren't for her, I'd say kudos to him for doing what he did for so long before dying in exactly the manner he knew he might someday die.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
dont know alaska (but i wana) but i do know chicago winter. mother winter is not fond of fools.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
My apologies for detouring off-topic. With regards to "Into the Wild", I watched the flick on PPV the other night, and while it was a good film, it was also a wee bit glamourized as Hollywood is known to do.
I found this site while searching around for more of the story (I don't know if this has been listed before):
::: Terra Incognita films :::

While it is a sad thing for anyone so young to perish, regardless of the circumstances, I feel what he did was bordering on arrogance.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default kudos to treadwell? I think not

"kudos" to treadwell? I think not.

Regardless of whether he felt "honored" to become part of the bears food chain (a position that I seriously doubt he was able to maintain to the end, by the way), he was directly responsible for causing the deaths of at least four bears by the reckless and thoughless manner of his death. He was warned in advance, multiple times, that if he got himself eaten by a bear it would result in the death of at least that bear, and probably several others as well. His blatent disregard of that advice and the predictable outcome that resulted clearly indicate that he valued his own aggrandizement far more than the lives of the animals that he supposedly so admired.

In the end he proved himself not just stupid and irresponsible, but a feckless and thoughtless hypocrite as well.

Not exactly "kudos" material in my book.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
That's like the nicest thing anyone's ever written about me. When I'm trying to get into graduate school, can I list you as a reference?
Most certainly!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Bah Humbug.

It's those chocolate chip cookies she's got that make her so appetizing!
Well yeah, that too!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM

29 posts, read 113,581 times
What kind of cameras are you guys using that take these beautiful pictures? I am getting ready to move up there and want a new camera, I think. Any suggestions?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezey514 View Post
What kind of cameras are you guys using that take these beautiful pictures? I am getting ready to move up there and want a new camera, I think. Any suggestions?
I've had good luck with canon's. Even cruddy little p & s are pretty good when they're canon.
My next camera is a digi rebel XTi. I'd also like a film camera... sigh.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I use a Fujifilms E900 and a Canon A640 on my pictures. I'd like a DSLR one of these years. Wanted one for this trip, but that'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska