Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:25 PM

31 posts, read 25,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
At -30 degrees I forgot to plug my in one night in Fairbanks. When I went out to start it the next morning all the fan belts snapped when I tried to get it going. Never had that problem in Ketchikan.
Yikes. I would definately need to winterize my vehicle. Would it be better to do it down here or in AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Fairbanks is definitely not homophobic at all and I wouldn't let that comment play a factor in your decision. There's UAF, which is Alaska's flagship university and brings in all sorts of people and cultural activities. There's also Fort Wainwright and it brings in all sorts of kinds of different people as well.

Alaska is very let and let live, including Fairbanks. No one cares if your gay, bi, straight etc.

Both are so different weather wise, I'd take that into serious consideration. Just because Fairbanks gets much colder at times, dont discount the amount and rain and grey southeast Alaska can get.

Fairbanks also has sweet $500ish a month dry cabin rentals. What other city can you rent a place basically right in town for that price ?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
I really don't think Fairbanks is any more homophobic than anywhere else in the states. Definitely less so than some places I have lived. It's a great place to live if you like to get out during the long winter months and you're into the northern lights. The summers are... amazing.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
I mean, Fairbanks has its fundy crazies, but also this just happened:
Fairbanks City Council approves equal rights ordinance | Local News | newsminer.com
Quote:
After 2.5 months, nearly nine hours of work sessions, almost eight hours of public comment and many hundreds more correspondences, the Fairbanks City Council on Monday night adopted Ordinance 6093 with a 4-2 vote.

The ordinance creates eight sections of Fairbanks General Code that extend equal rights protections to a number of demographics, most notable the LGBTQ community.

Included are protections for employment, housing and public accommodations, as well as a means for potential victims to challenge discriminatory practices in court.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I mean, Fairbanks has its fundy crazies, but also this just happened:
Fairbanks City Council approves equal rights ordinance | Local News | newsminer.com
Thanks for that Frostnip. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Fairbanks is definitely not homophobic at all and I wouldn't let that comment play a factor in your decision. There's UAF, which is Alaska's flagship university and brings in all sorts of people and cultural activities. There's also Fort Wainwright and it brings in all sorts of kinds of different people as well.

Alaska is very let and let live, including Fairbanks. No one cares if your gay, bi, straight etc.

Both are so different weather wise, I'd take that into serious consideration. Just because Fairbanks gets much colder at times, dont discount the amount and rain and grey southeast Alaska can get.

Fairbanks also has sweet $500ish a month dry cabin rentals. What other city can you rent a place basically right in town for that price ?
Thanks! You guys have really eased my mind! A cabin in town sounds pretty cool. They are providing housing as part of my compensation though.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I really don't think Fairbanks is any more homophobic than anywhere else in the states. Definitely less so than some places I have lived. It's a great place to live if you like to get out during the long winter months and you're into the northern lights. The summers are... amazing.

Thanks! I would really enjoy watching the Aurora borealis on a regular basis. I'm into amateur astronomy and it seems Fairbanks has some opportunities for such! I've lived in the Dakotas, and while I realize winter is different in Fairbanks, I actually enjoy colder weather. What's the mosquito situation in summer? I've heard it's awful.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
The mosquitoes aren't that bad in my opinion most of the time, especially in town. They are worse by lakes and boggy wet areas. I find the black flies to be worse.

If you're really interested in a cabin, see if you can negotiate a housing stipend instead of company provided housing. Some jobs in Alaska sometimes pay obscenely high housing stipends. If you could get a $1500+ a month housing stipend and only spend $500 a month on rent, it would be like adding $12k plus a year to your salary.

Extra salary and wages gets eaten up fast in all parts of Alaska.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
The mosquitoes don't pester me a whole bunch - never have. They are pretty bad sometimes, but that's why we have DEET and Mosquito Authority. Ha

6.7 might be onto something with the stipend. I'd be interested to see what sort of a place they'd be including in your deal and in what area it's located. Is heating fuel included? Electricity? Is internet service available in the area? Do not assume that you can get internet here - you often cannot.

If the wind blew where you were living in the Dakotas, our winters might not be too objectionable to you. They are just long. Very long.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
The mosquitos are only bad if you're in a boggy area, IMO. Other than that they're not worse than the Midwest. Plus they don't carry disease here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska