Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So under Dumleavy's original campaign promise (6700K PFDs), a family with eight kids would be raking in almost 70K from the state...can't wait to read the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the ADN's social media site about how the governor is stealing the PDF when that doesn't happen.
It's just infuriating when meanwhile he's proposing brutal things like cutting funds to Pioneer Homes and killing preschool entirely. I mean, the school cuts are stupid, but a person could make a case that local municipalities could be doing more to fund their local schools, and the university cut is stupid, but that's not a vulnerable population - they'll figure something out. But come on, taking away from four year olds and elderly disabled folks? But he's playing off this "don't matter as long as I've got mine" attitude a chunk of his constituency has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM

406 posts, read 756,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It's just infuriating when meanwhile he's proposing brutal things like cutting funds to Pioneer Homes and killing preschool entirely. I mean, the school cuts are stupid, but a person could make a case that local municipalities could be doing more to fund their local schools, and the university cut is stupid, but that's not a vulnerable population - they'll figure something out. But come on, taking away from four year olds and elderly disabled folks? But he's playing off this "don't matter as long as I've got mine" attitude a chunk of his constituency has.

Yep the schools always do better with more money!

Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:

Give the gov a chance. Sometimes it takes brutal reality checks to even get the discussion started. Everyone has a sacred cow yet no one is willing to even offer anything to be put up on the altar. Give the process some time and see what shakes out.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Give the gov a chance. Sometimes it takes brutal reality checks to even get the discussion started. Everyone has a sacred cow yet no one is willing to even offer anything to be put up on the altar. Give the process some time and see what shakes out.
What did the gov put in the alter?

Seriously. Alaskans don’t want to give up their check.
Or pay taxes.

I’m willing to give up my check and pay taxes if that is what it takes. I’d like the problem to be solved, but I admit I don’t know the answers.

He’s sticking to his campaign promises. I won’t take the pfd and I will balance the budget. Lol

Old 03-22-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
See, this might fly for me if he hadn't increased his own (the Office of the Governor) budget in the proposal. Granted, it's a small amount compared to the overall state budget, but it's still just such raging hypocrisy that I don't know how his demands that the most vulnerable in society (seriously, low-income four-year-olds and disabled elderly? FFS) need to sacrifice too aren't met with just derisive laughter.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughtful response!
you are welcome!

Old 04-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
What did the gov put in the alter?

Seriously. Alaskans don’t want to give up their check.
Or pay taxes.

I’m willing to give up my check and pay taxes if that is what it takes. I’d like the problem to be solved, but I admit I don’t know the answers.

He’s sticking to his campaign promises. I won’t take the pfd and I will balance the budget. Lol

Then send in your check or stop saying this BS! What you mean is you think everyone else should think like you and we don't. So put your money where your fingers type and send a check to the SOA!

Old 04-02-2019, 03:14 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Then send in your check or stop saying this BS! What you mean is you think everyone else should think like you and we don't. So put your money where your fingers type and send a check to the SOA!
You are an idiot. You are assuming an awful lot. I’m glad everyone doesn’t think like me. I’m willing to contribute to solve our problem. I don’t know the answers, but I also know that hard financial decisions will need to be made. Compromise will need to be made.

Are you willing to make sacrifices?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Then send in your check or stop saying this BS..
Stop saying this BS. It is utterly meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska