Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 11:20 AM

39 posts, read 63,023 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking into moving from Pennsylvania to Alaska. My S.O. is a commercial fisherman and is considering staying in Alaska after the season ends, but we have a lot of questions.

I was reading that in order to establish residency and apply for the PFD (I guess we can't apply until 2022), he would have to cut all ties with other states. Is that true?

He has a motorcycle and truck that he left at his parents' house. They are still registered in Pennsylvania. Technically, the registration would expire before he ever applied for the PFD. Is that okay or does he have to ensure that everything is registered in Alaska???

Also, I work from home, and my employer is based out of Boston. Does that mean that I would not be eligible for the PFD even if I became a resident through all other means (driver's license, voter registration, fishing license)?

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
https://pfd.alaska.gov/Eligibility

Every year you apply for the PFD the application will ask about residency and length of time you were physically absent or present in the state. It also requires two other residents to vouch for you. Once your applications are submitted the state will determine whether you can receive a dividend for that year.

Your dividend is taxable income. If you are considered a part time resident in another state, receive any benefits from another state (and a benefit could be something like paying a lower rate for goods and services there), or pay taxes in another state (and state "property" taxes include things like vehicle registrations) you probably aren't considered an AK resident. Something to ask your employer: would you be subject to state income taxes in MA if you work remotely? States differ.

Dividend fraud is a touchy subject...especially when people who don't live here ask about how to get in on it. There are definitely people who work/move to AK or breed more kids hoping for a payout.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-05-2020 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 01:19 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msharris0826 View Post
Hi all,

We are looking into moving from Pennsylvania to Alaska. My S.O. is a commercial fisherman and is considering staying in Alaska after the season ends, but we have a lot of questions.

I was reading that in order to establish residency and apply for the PFD (I guess we can't apply until 2022), he would have to cut all ties with other states. Is that true?

He has a motorcycle and truck that he left at his parents' house. They are still registered in Pennsylvania. Technically, the registration would expire before he ever applied for the PFD. Is that okay or does he have to ensure that everything is registered in Alaska???

Also, I work from home, and my employer is based out of Boston. Does that mean that I would not be eligible for the PFD even if I became a resident through all other means (driver's license, voter registration, fishing license)?

Thanks for your help!

Are you really moving there just for the PFD? The year I lived in AK I didn't get it or cared anything about it. It's not a good reason to move there. If you want residency for in state tuition, that's a different story and something I looked into while living in CO for CO in state.

Last edited by wamer27; 07-05-2020 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 12:12 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
I kept a vehicle registered in a state other than Alaska and it disqualified me my first year.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:58 AM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Remember that residency time periods for the PFD are different than for other reasons e.g. resident hunting and fishing licenses etc.

You cannot apply until you have met the requirements for a January-December calendar year. For example, if you arrive in Alaska in July of 2020, you must meet the residency requirements listed in the link in the previous post above from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021, and then apply for the 2022 PFD.

I mention this because many people are disappointed to find that - depending on when they move - they may have to wait for nearly two years.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:59 PM

39 posts, read 63,023 times
Thanks all for the responses. These were helpful.

To answer the OPs questions, no we aren’t considering moving just for the PFD. :P That would be a bit silly I think.

We’re considering moving to AK because he has worked as a commercial fisherman in the summers for some time and he would like to continue doing that while also building his own welding business. There seem to be more financial incentives to setting up shop in say.... Seattle or somewhere similar where cost of living is high and there are no/limited grants, loans, etc for new small businesses. That being said, we’re still researching, so this is only initial assessment.

Aside from that, he is in love with Alaska and always comes home light hearted and free. So there must be something magical about the place.

I guess I’ll have to see for myself one day.

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska