Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,211,442 times

Advertisements

I know basically nothing about visiting AK so any thoughts are much appreciated. First time for my family (including 5 and 3 yo boys) This is for June 2021 so a long time from now but, well, that's what most of us are doing right now...dreaming about traveling a long time from now.

So I'm seeking feedback comparing two options which seem the most doable/attractive:

A) a 7-night cruise from Vancouver to Whittier followed by a few extra days before flying out of ANC

vs

B) 8-ish days in AK flying in and out of ANC

The most important factor to consider is having the little kids with us. So what trip would be most enjoyable for all of us considering those limitations? Or is this something to put off entirely until they're a bit older? Or is a third option better?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 11:11 PM

12 posts, read 12,373 times
I think your kids would be bored stiff on a cruise, besides they're petrie dishes of disease. Anchorage is a huge,flat, ugly city - you can get to Alaska from there but it's not Alaska. Check out Wrangell or other southeast island towns. I can't think of a better place to experience Alaska for both of you and the kids than Grandview B&B in Wrangell, right on the beach just out of town. Check 'em out. While you're there, check out some of the jetboat day trips to the glaciers, salmon & halibut fishing & bear viewing at Anan Creek. There are lakes & creeks on the island the littles are sure to catch a trout or find a perfect swimming hole.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:35 AM

23,532 posts, read 19,266,539 times
My parents took my 2 sisters and I on a cruise originating out of San Francisco many years ago. Youngest was probably 5. Granted, at the time we did this most cruise ships didn't cater to kids very much so there wasn't much to do while on board. The ships weren't glorified floating malls then. I was a teen and happened to be fascinated with the whole idea of AK so I really enjoyed it but my younger sisters didn't. They don't even remember much about the trip.

Have to agree that your kids may not appreciate the trip as much at those ages. Depending on the particular cruise line, what they will offer on board and the enroute itinerary (ports of call and onshore excursions that may be available) they may be bored. I understand the appeal of a cruise for a family. Logistically simpler than a land-based tour that involves flights, lodging in multiple cities, rental cars, pay as you go meals, etc., but your trip may be too long and too much down time to keep them entertained. Especially if the weather ends up being bad. The Gulf portion of the cruise on the way to Whittier can be quite rough. I'd probably wait until they're older. Unless they are budding natural science geeks and really in to nature they may not get what Alaska is all about.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:21 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,639,545 times
A cruise is a good way to see a lot of Southeast Alaska. Southeast Alaska is different than Southcentral Alaska and all of it is beautiful.
Your time in Southcentral Alaska: are you willing to rent a car or RV?

Old 07-20-2020, 06:33 PM

10,685 posts, read 7,901,632 times
If you decide on a Cruise, just do SE and fly to Anchorage from Juneau. Could still go to Skagway, which I would recommend since that's the most scenic stretch on the water. Just take an air taxi back from Skagway to Juneau in order to pick up fight to the interior.

Or, just skip interior and leave that for another trip.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,211,442 times
Thanks everyone for the replies! Our kids have been on two Caribbean cruises and loved them, so I think general onboard activities already are good for them. But yes, I see where you're all coming from.

I do have a followup question: do the big commercial cruises coming up from Vancouver/Seattle etc offer something tangibly different from what we'd see/experience if we took a sightseeing boat out from Whittier/Seward etc? Besides the on board entertainment/amenities of course. I'm just wondering if a big ship cruise is a must-do at some point in the future or if it could be skipped altogether? It would seem like the passage up to Alaska is a different and special area as well, but I don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
A cruise is a good way to see a lot of Southeast Alaska. Southeast Alaska is different than Southcentral Alaska and all of it is beautiful.
Your time in Southcentral Alaska: are you willing to rent a car or RV?
Sure, car or RV are both options! A few folks elsewhere have been really recommending the RV route. But we were also told that our kids are too young for Denali so that should be saved for a future trip.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:53 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies! Our kids have been on two Caribbean cruises and loved them, so I think general onboard activities already are good for them. But yes, I see where you're all coming from.

I do have a followup question: do the big commercial cruises coming up from Vancouver/Seattle etc offer something tangibly different from what we'd see/experience if we took a sightseeing boat out from Whittier/Seward etc? Besides the on board entertainment/amenities of course. I'm just wondering if a big ship cruise is a must-do at some point in the future or if it could be skipped altogether? It would seem like the passage up to Alaska is a different and special area as well, but I don't really know.

Sure, car or RV are both options! A few folks elsewhere have been really recommending the RV route. But we were also told that our kids are too young for Denali so that should be saved for a future trip.
A smaller sightseeing vessel will be able to maneuver and pause closer to wildlife more easily than the cruise ship. You'll be viewing things closer to waterline and not from high above. Itineraries and routes are a little more flexible. Smaller tours often narrate the trip and point out features as well.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:24 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,323,188 times
Might be a good idea to see how COVID persists over the next several months before booking a cruise. You never know if you're going to have a restrictive cancellation policy and/or airline cancellation. I'm guessing the demand will be low, so its not like you'll lose your spot by waiting.

I booked an Alaskan cruise for this summer back in January. I also booked the flights. I was able to cancel early enough to only lose a $500 deposit on the cruise (didn't want to have my money held for a future cruise), but I did have to use future flight credits vs a refund. I honestly don't know when I'll fly so not sure if this will come into use or not the way things are going.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:50 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,236,350 times
I lived in AK for a year when I was 23 and have no desire to go back. But our family (parents, brothers, wives, nephews) booked a cruise from Whittier to Vancouver for my parents 50th wedding anniversary this past June, but it was cancelled. I was really looking forward to this. It was a smaller 700 person ship. I wanted to see the coast down, to me that’s more scenic then the interior. I flew with my roommate who’s commercial pilot from Anchorage to Cordova and then Yakutat. To see Mt St Elias on a clear day from water/air was just awesome! I’d say stick with cruise if they are functional next summer. There’s a lot to explore not far from Anchorage too.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:57 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,171,835 times
Project, I live in South Florida and cruise executives aren't hopeful cruises will start back up in 2021.

No one on the planet is going to allow cruise ship passengers until there is a vaccine. The cruise ships can't keep Norovirus under control let alone Coronavirus.

I'd plan a land tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska