Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The price of salmon is gonna go through the roof this year, btw.
Yeah, with the price of gas my salmon will run about $125/lb, up about $5/lb. Of course that beats the $500/lb price when I first got the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I didn't know that black cod is also known as butterfish (so the article says) and if that's the case.....it is very good because when my mom used to cook for us, butterfish was the fish of choice and it is awesome!!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
So its a fish known by a variety of names, but the unifying factor is that it tastes good?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default depends

It's good fish when fresh and handled correctly, but like all fish it can be ruined by careless processing or overcooking. One of the restaurants here does it up in a wasabi-cream reduction sauce over jasmine rice with steamed veggies...unique and very tasty. Their black cod is uniformly velvety smooth, medium-firm and creamy in texture. The fillets can occasionally have small bones, but most times not if they're cut correctly. Since it's a deepwater fish you expect to get it frozen, but it doesn't seem to affect its quality like with some fish, probably because it's fairly oily to start with. I wouldn't say it beats fresh-caught reds or silvers, but it's definately a more neutral taste and probably would appeal to folks that don't like "fishy" fish as much. Not as firm-fleshed as halibut, but more so than trout or dollies. All in all, good eating as long as it's been treated right.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM

94 posts, read 267,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post
. . . As for Pacific Cod, I once saw them fighting each other in Lazy Bay, Alitak, for human ... fecal objects. Since I feel you are what you eat, and I have seen what P-Cod like to eat, they are all yours. Emotional? Irrational? So? . . .
On that point, I love swordfish steaks, even though they run from $12-20 per pound here in the northeast.

But a buddy of mine, who was in the navy during the Korean War, will not eat them because he said that swords used to follow their boat when they dumped their holding tanks.

Who knows, maybe all fish will do it. I used to have a beagle that raided the cat litter box and would defend the "morsels" she found with bared teeth.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Salmon is very good too, but it has got to be FRESH...I mean, really fresh...like only hours old. The salmon you find canned in stores is....uh....BLEAH! Yeah, I will eat it, if there is someone holding a gun to my back...
"Aging" on a shelf just does not help salmon...that fresh flavor is totally gone...
The one exception seems to be smoked salmon...it keeps rather well canned...good stuff!
To me, halibut seems to be fairly bland no matter how you cook it....not much taste....(just IMO)

Bud

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Except in extremely high end venues, the canned salmon you find for sale is pinks, which are bland pretty much no matter what. Smoked King salmon lends itself well to canning--better than vacuum sealing, I think. Brings a better price in Manhattan, too.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM

When salmon is cooked is the flesh always pink?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default fake pink

If it's farmed salmon, the pink is fake. They have to deliberately add colorants to the food the farmed fish consume in order to make their flesh appear "salmon colored". Wild salmon get their color from their genetics and diet, and the vast majority of them are some shade of pink/orange when cooked.

That said, there are a few "white kings" (king, or chinook salmon) where the flesh is more of an ivory color, both raw and cooked. It still tastes like salmon, still has the health benefits of salmon, it just looks different. It's highly unlikely you'll run into a "white king" unless you're specifically looking for one at a fish market, and they typically charge a premium (just because it's different, I assume) if they do happen to have one.

There is also always some grey color to the fattiest areas of cooked salmon (right next to the skin and along the lateral line), which may be removed by the chef at restaurants for esthetic reasons.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Other than catching & preparing salmon yourselves, where would you say that one could have a chance to taste the most varieties of wild salmon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska